Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 24 2010, 07:51 AM   #16
Teiwaz
Lieutenant

Location: Physical:UK, Mental:The Sea of Tranquility, Spiritual: The Heart of the Sun
Re: Is there a lack of creativity in NuBSG Costumes and culture Lack

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The thing I found the most intriguing about the Colonial uniforms is that they actually looked comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. Starfleet uniforms may look cool, but I bet they're a real bitch for the actors to wear--every last one of 'em that's ever been onscreen...

As far as civilian attire, I thought it was an original concept and kind of suggests that there will be similarities between very different civilizations.
As regards the Starfleet Uniforms, I seem to recall something about the ones worn in the first series causing medical complaints so much that they had to be redesigned for following series.

I didn't so much have issue with the military clothing design, mainly the suit and tie aspect of the Presidents entourage.
And budgetwise, if they could afford several uniform types, dress uniform, barracks and fighter pilot. Then there's ground staff outfits. The crew on the Presidents ship I think only got one costume each, and as they appear to get more sweaty and bedraggled as the series continues they might well have worn the same one all that time (since they're stuck on a short hall ship with provisions that might be the point) - maybe they were instructed to take them home and sleep in them to get them looking authentic. Either way it still doesn't answer why shirt and tie.
Old March 24 2010, 08:39 AM   #17
StarshipDefiant
Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The thing I found the most intriguing about the Colonial uniforms is that they actually looked comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. Starfleet uniforms may look cool, but I bet they're a real bitch for the actors to wear--every last one of 'em that's ever been onscreen...

As far as civilian attire, I thought it was an original concept and kind of suggests that there will be similarities between very different civilizations.
Many actors are on record that the one pieces Starfleet uniforms suck to wear, they were measured out/fitted for them in the standing position. Even then, standing in them was uncomfortable and caused back issues (apparently, having done so enough to Patrick Stewart, a lawyer informed him he had legal options to pursue), let alone sitting, which was worst. I've read the Voy actors in shots where their feet were not showing, often took of their boots and the straps that kept the pant legs down off.

Some of the two pieces problem were not a ton better, thus the Picard maneuver (Where he tugged on the tunic whenever he sat or stood up).

As for the BSG uniforms? I don't know to much about them, but Katee Sackhoff has complained that the flight suits were not entirely comfortable, especially during scenes where the pilots were in their cockpits.
Old March 24 2010, 01:32 PM   #18
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Teiwaz wrote: View Post
JMS had it right, he had the history of the B5 universe planned out 1000 years into the past and a 1000 years into the future (if not a little sketchily a million into the future).
And yet, he had an alien race which wore clothing suspiciously similar to human ones - namely, the Centauri.

Star Trek is guilty of that as well, with the Klingons and their samurai costumes. The difference is that in the case of the Klingons and Centauri, they are dressed in foreign, exotic wear, usually already long dead as a custom on Earth. BSG instead goes for contemporary American, but it doesn't strain credulity any more than the prior examples. At least BSG has humans aping our fashions, rather than aliens doing it for no discernable reason.

That said, RDM's explanation is utter nonsense.

Old March 24 2010, 01:38 PM   #19
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I love it personally. It's creative precisely because it goes against the alien look that you see on every other scifi show.
Firefly had completely non-alien clothes. I think there was a fair amount of design went into their clothing but it couldn't look less 'alien'.
Old March 24 2010, 01:41 PM   #20
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

As regards the Starfleet Uniforms, I seem to recall something about the ones worn in the first series causing medical complaints so much that they had to be redesigned for following series.
I think that might have been the first season of TNG. The original series the uniforms were a design classic.
Old March 24 2010, 03:45 PM   #21
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I think they did attempt to go with an otherworldly look with the costumes as evidenced by Baltar's outfit from the mini series, but that went away in season 1.

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
I must admit, I'm less persuaded by Moore's claims of artistic merit to the use of modern clothing and styles for almost everything in the Twelve Colonies; I have a feeling that budget played its part in designing the look of the show.
I do think that what Moore says is a rationale after the fact, but it works regardless of how or when he came up with it.
Old March 24 2010, 04:40 PM   #22
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Ok, probably BSG TOS was a little contemporary, but it was the disco era, so it all looks a little weirdly alien now, as does Buck Rogers.
You weren't alive in 1978, were you? There was nothing contemporary about Original Galactica (except maybe the hair), the entire show was pure science fiction from start to finish.

Nothing more.
Old March 24 2010, 04:53 PM   #23
The Wormhole
Admiral

StarshipDefiant wrote: View Post
Yeah, I certainly didn't mind it, I mean, I love Star Trek, but some of the clothing they have on the franchise...urg. Wouldn't ever wear that shit, the Uniforms I could bear with, but the casual wear? Holy crap. The costumes in this series, the nuBSG as some call it, were greatm because it looked relatable either through casual wear or military wear.
Star Trek always showed terrible civilian clothes. Both human and alien alike. Starfleet uniforms looked alright though.

I liked the fact that BSG just shows people in contemporary clothes. Yeah, it stretches credibility somewhat, but who cares? It's nice to see people in sci-fi wearing clothes that look good and comfortable.
Old March 24 2010, 04:53 PM   #24
Teiwaz
Lieutenant

Location: Physical:UK, Mental:The Sea of Tranquility, Spiritual: The Heart of the Sun

I had another thought while composing for the Unpopular Trek Opinions thread...

A New Hope always seems so timeless to me even though some of the look and feel places it securely in the late seventies while the following films feel dated (Return of the Jedi especially). Perhaps its the white costumes Luke and Leia first appear wearing - gives it a 'New Age' (ok, maybe that phrase is dated) feel, perhaps its because it feels seperated from our timeline.

TNg feels a little dated to me due to the sets and the whole 'having a counsellor on the bridge concept' - soo 80's, TOs by the visualisation of technology and its naivete.
BSG TOS by its disco stylings (the 70's was a period when the future look was more in vogue anyway) - Contempory suits will only serve to make NUBSG look dated in 10 or 20 years - by which case the premise 'these people are just like us because they dress like us' will not stand up - I'm not saying we'll all be wearing silver jumpsuits in 2030, but the cut of the suits will be different, just as the cut of a suit in 1890 differs from that of 1920, or between 1970 and 2000.
Even UFO (set made in the late sixties and set in 1980) made an effort to set the clothing apart and in a vein where you could believe this could be the dress style of the future (they got it wrong in assuming the fashion of the time would not alter along a slightly different tack) - but their cars were not too far off - remember the DeLorean.
Old March 24 2010, 05:07 PM   #25
Teiwaz
Lieutenant

RandyS wrote: View Post

Ok, probably BSG TOS was a little contemporary, but it was the disco era, so it all looks a little weirdly alien now, as does Buck Rogers.
You weren't alive in 1978, were you? There was nothing contemporary about Original Galactica (except maybe the hair), the entire show was pure science fiction from start to finish.

Nothing more.
I was six - But I can remeber re-runs in early 1980's. And of course season 2 - the landing on earth series was made in 1980 - so it was probably broadcast her in '81. And you don't need to sound too incredulous - We're not in Logans Run here.

Actually some of the ladies dresses were certainly influenced by the then fashion for Disco - they (perhaps only coincidently also resembled ancient greek dresses (at least as seen on some of the epic greek myth movies)) which kind of fitted where the Original BSG saga came from.

Remember - Time is relative - contemporary for its time - not for now (30 years or so later). You can't totally escape some contemporaryness - it is fiction after all - the period when it was made will seep in some way - how you limit or manage that feel will govern how dated the show gets after five or ten years. Even books - more timeless than many medium as the visualisation comes adapted by the brain that deciphers the language dates - mainly by the language it uses - I'm sure the language of LOTR has prevented many from reading it - put off by the - admittedly purposeful use of archiac language.
Old March 24 2010, 06:21 PM   #26
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I think there is definitely a lack of creativity involved with it but it does lend a (false?) sense of verity to the show which I think was a source of its critical success. Having people dress in contemporary Western styles helped with the suspension of disbelief that disconnects some people from science fiction. Even though in one sense it doesn't really make much sense, it didn't trigger "Oh, that's so cheesy/corny/dumb" responses that can also be off-putting.
Old March 24 2010, 07:06 PM   #27
Teiwaz
Lieutenant

Deckerd wrote: View Post
I think that might have been the first season of TNG. The original series the uniforms were a design classic.
Yeah, that was the one I meant, sorry for not being clear.
Old March 24 2010, 07:07 PM   #28
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I loved the clothing in BSG. It really worked for the show and had they worn sci-fi clothing it'd have done the show a disservice.
Old March 24 2010, 07:19 PM   #29
Teiwaz
Lieutenant

Kegg wrote: View Post
JMS had it right, he had the history of the B5 universe planned out 1000 years into the past and a 1000 years into the future (if not a little sketchily a million into the future).
And yet, he had an alien race which wore clothing suspiciously similar to human ones - namely, the Centauri.

Star Trek is guilty of that as well, with the Klingons and their samurai costumes. The difference is that in the case of the Klingons and Centauri, they are dressed in foreign, exotic wear, usually already long dead as a custom on Earth. BSG instead goes for contemporary American, but it doesn't strain credulity any more than the prior examples. At least BSG has humans aping our fashions, rather than aliens doing it for no discernable reason.

That said, RDM's explanation is utter nonsense.

The Centauri are really a parallel of the Austro-Hungarian empire (or at least 18-19th century europe) - so obviously it makes a certain amount of sense to have their dress compliment their societal structure (although the hairdos were a bit odd). Or rather perhaps the Austro-Hungarians resembled the Centauri.
The Brakiri costumes were not particularly outrageous either, their collared coats might seem a little odd, but totally unusual.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I think there is definitely a lack of creativity involved with it but it does lend a (false?) sense of verity to the show which I think was a source of its critical success. Having people dress in contemporary Western styles helped with the suspension of disbelief that disconnects some people from science fiction. Even though in one sense it doesn't really make much sense, it didn't trigger "Oh, that's so cheesy/corny/dumb" responses that can also be off-putting.
I'm not saying they should'nt have been a good parallel to western styles, just I think being almost identical spoiled it a little, it seemed a little anachronistic for a society that had gotten as far as space travel and A.I (technology not contemporary to us) to have clothing contemporary to us.

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Yeah, that was the one I meant, sorry for not being clear.
Old March 24 2010, 07:49 PM   #30
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

I don't think it's uncreative. In terms of costumes they're going for a contemporary look (which is pretty close to what Babylon 5 did for the humans). I think that's a valid creative choice and, to me, the costumes generally look pretty damn good. As for the culture, it's pretty much modern America overlayed with some mythical and mystical elements. Personally I find it pretty interesting and I think it makes for good television. How much of the series's creativity comes from Ron Moore et al and how much comes from Glen A Larson, I'm not sure, but I certainly think it's an interesting and well-realised vision.