Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 23 2010, 05:11 AM   #241
Patrin-Zero
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Star Ship Polaris

A most excellent 'evolution' from the early concept sketches, many kudos and well wishes !
Patrin-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2010, 07:37 AM   #242
Vektor
Rear Admiral

And here are a few concepts for other vessels in the United Worlds fleet:

Again, click the image for a larger version.

There are some common elements to these designs, all inspired by certain characteristics of the Polaris. They all have disc shapes in various configurations, which I am interpreting as a key element of United Worlds FTL drive technology. Also, the two on the right follow the Polaris trend of a "vertical" profile, taking traditionally horizontal shapes and turning them on-edge.

Another feature common to all but the upper left design is a longitudinally-stacked deck configuration. I suppose the one in the upper left could have that, too, but it makes less sense with the way its hull is shaped. I'm thinking about making that one a Transhuman Authority design.

On an artistic note, I really had fun with these sketches, trying out a few new techniques, and I actually completed all of them in less than two hours. I made a deliberate effort not to overthink them, to just let the pencil flow and see what came out of it. I think the end results wound up to be fairly original.
Old March 23 2010, 07:55 AM   #243
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Nice. Very deco. The top two, especially, look like '30s skyscrapers tipped on their sides and with engines bolted on.
Old March 23 2010, 04:29 PM   #244
Albertese
Commodore

Dang Vektor, I love your sketching style. Can you describe your technique?

--Alex
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2010, 07:37 PM   #245
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Albertese wrote: View Post
Dang Vektor, I love your sketching style. Can you describe your technique?

--Alex
Well, I use a Wacom Cintiq tablet and do almost all my artwork digitally these days. Software-wise, I’m using Corel Painter X, which does a great job of simulating all kinds of natural media from pencil sketching to oil painting.

The sketches above were done using the digital equivalents of a medium pencil and various shades of oil pastels. I used a light gray background rather than white just to reduce the contrast a little, then I completely shaded each ship with a 50% gray. From there, I used a 75% gray for the light areas and a 25% gray for the shadows (100% being white and 0% being black). Finally I created some highlights using pure white, which is nicely set off against the off-white background. The oil pastel brushes in Painter allow you to create some very nice blends between shades and are easy to work with.

These are rough shape studies with relatively little detail, but they are fast and easy to produce and do a good job of getting the concept across.
Old March 23 2010, 09:29 PM   #246
Albertese
Commodore

Cool. I'll have to see if I can get similar results in Photoshop, seeing as how I don't have Corel. I'm using a WACOM Intuos, which is pretty simple. What do you like about the Cintiq? Are there any fancy features that sets it apart?

--Alex
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2010, 09:41 PM   #247
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Albertese wrote: View Post
Cool. I'll have to see if I can get similar results in Photoshop, seeing as how I don't have Corel. I'm using a WACOM Intuos, which is pretty simple. What do you like about the Cintiq? Are there any fancy features that sets it apart?

--Alex
Well, the Cintiq is not just a pen tablet, it’s also a graphic display so you’re working directly on-screen. I haven’t used the Intuos but I have used the Bamboo series and they work well, but not having that disconnect between my hand and my eye makes all the difference to me.
Old March 23 2010, 10:05 PM   #248
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^ I would love to have a Cintiq. The idea of working directly with the screen is very appealing to my 'old school' sensibilities. I have adapted to the separation between my hand and my eyes but I would rather have that tactile connection.

And brilliant work, as always. I am amazed at how different yet familiar this ship looks and feels. (I would have loved to had a chance to design the sets for this amazing little vessel.)

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2010, 10:20 PM   #249
judexavier
Commander

Amazing work...
I think I've mentioned it before, but I really like the "outside the trek-box" original designs. Can't wait to see this project completed.
judexavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2010, 11:08 PM   #250
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

What Vektor has done with this, building on Aridas' base structure, is really really nice in that it's got the sort of "thingness" about it that I think the basic Trek starship design does while being as you say really outside of that envelope.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2010, 11:13 PM   #251
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Cool stuff.

The best "nacelles" I've ever seen still belong to the Gunstar in "The Last Starfighter". You can see exactly how the thrusters would work to rotate, thrust, and reverse thrust. The Starfuries from B5 borrowed the configuration almost exactly.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2010, 11:45 PM   #252
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

Actually Dennis, I do have a question about the window placement on the Polaris, maybe Vektor could chime in on this too. It's my understanding from what I've read here, and on the Polaris site that the ship's interior is actually set so that what appears in the picture as the front of the ship is actually the top as the crew would see it. If that's correct, then shouldn't the windows themselves be rotated 90 degrees? It just looks as if the windows appear taller than they are wide and I would think that having them wider than they are tall would be more appropriate. If that's an intentional design trait, then that's fine, I was just curious. Of course, that's also dependent on whether or not what I am assuming are windows are just that and not panels doors of some sort.
IcecreamLtDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2010, 12:16 AM   #253
Vektor
Rear Admiral

The decks are, indeed, stacked along the ship's direction of travel so that "up" for the occupants is in the direction of the ship's "front." Originally, there was a technological rationalization for this wherin ship's gravity was at least partially derived from accelleration. Aridas had that all worked out and it involved "banking" the acceleration forces and a number of other complicated things. For dramatic purposes, all it does is keep everyone's feet attached to the deck.

The windows shown in my latest sketch are oval in shape and taller than they are wide. I thought that was most in keeping with the ship's inspirational origins in '40s and '50s pulp science fiction. I did try orienting them the other way but didn't like the look of them.
Old March 24 2010, 03:01 AM   #254
Ihlecreations
Captain

View Ihlecreations's Twitter Profile

Vek, seriously, you need to work on the next trek doing ship designs, your stuff is amazing. Whoops missed the description on the top of the page.

Last edited by Ihlecreations; March 24 2010 at 11:33 PM.
Ihlecreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2010, 05:13 AM   #255
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Reading the whole thread is good!
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote