Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 22 2010, 04:42 PM   #31
Cheapjack
Fleet Captain

Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

23rd and 24th Century humans will NOT be just like 20th century humans with better weapons.
Cheapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2010, 04:50 PM   #32
Lor'Vela
Captain

1) I don't like DS9's Duet.
2) I like TNG's Shade of Gray and VOY's Threshold.
3) "Trip" Tucker is my least fave ENT character. Kinda' pleased he was killed off.
4) I like Neelix.
5) Generations is my fave TNG film; TMP my fave TOS film.
Old March 22 2010, 04:51 PM   #33
threeb
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Many of mine echo what has already been posted:
  • I actually liked Neelix
  • Wesley didn't bother me all that much
  • I treat The Animated Series (and many of the novels) as canon
  • Q was used WAY too much
  • The Borg are my least favorite alien species of all times, and were definitely overused
  • My three favorite characters from TOS are McCoy, Uhura, and Spock (no Kirk)
  • I liked Threshold for the camp factor
  • IMHO, the Vulcans have characteristics that are a bit too Mary Sue-ish (can heal themselves, live 300 years, have ginormous IQs, etc.) and was glad to see a few portrayed with flaws.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2010, 04:56 PM   #34
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

threeb wrote: View Post
  • My three favorite characters from TOS are McCoy, Uhura, and Spock (no Kirk)
Same here.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2010, 06:51 PM   #35
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

M-Red wrote: View Post
RyuRoots wrote: View Post
I liked Robin Curtis more than Kirstey Alley.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one.

We're a small but close group
There's a few of us out there!

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2010, 07:42 PM   #36
Withers
Captain

View Withers's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Withers Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Withers

I was not at all irritated that the Borg baby disappeared in the same episode in which it was introduced. When I saw that I thought to myself "Grandma Janeway? C'mon, don't de-sexy her any more than you already have!" I had these images of her sitting in a rocker with Borg baby looking out into a star field, pinning for Mark and her dogs.

*Grimace*

So, yeah, they spotted a terrible idea and eliminated it almost fast enough (fast enough would have been removing it from the episode all together.)

-Withers-
Withers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2010, 07:50 PM   #37
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

RyuRoots wrote: View Post
Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
1) I think Neelix can be good sometimes too.
2) I'm not too hot on the Enterprise-E.
3) Generations has some redeeming qualities.
Hell, I think you're in the majority on that one. Every time the topic comes up, there are always many posts that say how much the design sucks compared to the D and how terrible it was that it went down.
The majority on this site.

I've been all over the internet and this is the only place where the Enterprise-D is better. TrekBBS is home to a hive of Trekkie Iconoclasts.

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Trek 09 had decent characters but the story was shite.
Yeah, pretty much.

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
I think City on the Edge of Forever is a bit overrated - sure, it's a good episode, but it's not OMG THE BEST EVA! etc.
Yeah, watching City on the Edge of Forever is a bit like watching The Matrix.

It's apparently the best ever, but when you watch it, it doesn't live up to the hype.
Old March 22 2010, 07:52 PM   #38
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
I loved Pulaski and wish she would have stayed on The Next Generation
Neelix — when employed in a decent storyline (Rise, Fair Trade, Mortal Coil) — was a rather likeable character
I consider The Animated Series a part of the official Star Trek continuity
I like the theme song from Enterprise
lstyer wrote: View Post
I like TOS Klingons, even up through the movies, way more than TNG Klingons...

I'm not sure this is unpopular, but I absolutely hate the "V" on the foreheads of TNG Romulans. It was a damn plot point in "Balance of Terror" that the Romulans looked just like Vulcans, and with that big "V" on their foreheads they look no more like Vulcans than whatever forehead alien of the week looks like Humans.
I think that by the time of TNG Gene Roddenberry was buying his own hype and Trek as a whole suffered for that.
These points could be mine as well.
Also:
- DS9 is a soap opera and since I do not like soap operas, it is my least favorite series.
- TOS is still my favorite series, its production standards are good for its time and should not be compared to later production standards.
- Wesley Crusher was my favorite TNG main character. Too bad Beverly did not stay at SF Medical so he could be his own person.
- Pulaski was a much better character than Dr. Crusher. I like her attitude, even her android prejudice which made her believable as a character.
- ENT was a bad idea for a series. It was boxed in by canon. We already knew what a Klingon, Vulcan, etc. was so what was new to explore?
- ^ST09 got it right in that department, if canon gets in the way it has to go in order to tell the story.

Thanks for providing a thread where we can all get it off our collective chests.
Old March 22 2010, 08:02 PM   #39
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Third season TOS better than second. Weirdness trumps Big-2 rut.

I think Way to Eden is actually good. If ITS production values bother you, then be consistent and be bothered by ALL of TOS' production values.

I don't think TOS' City on the Edge of Forever is ALL that great.

I HATE the Ent-D. I didn't know there were people who loved it, frankly. Super huge bulbous saucer with tiny nacelles. Looks like a decent model got left in the oven when somebody turned it on pre-heat without looking first.

I don't mind Wesley.

Garak is THE BEST character in all of Trek. If you made a clips DVD of his dialog, you'd swear he had an entirely dif. stable of writers than the other characters got.

Enough for now.

No - one more: Nemesis is no worse than most Berman era flicks.
Old March 22 2010, 08:08 PM   #40
Withers
Captain

View Withers's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Withers Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Withers

Garak is THE BEST character in all of Trek. If you made a clips DVD of his dialog, you'd swear he had an entirely dif. stable of writers than the other characters got.
"Best" might be a little too high of praise but there are certainly plenty of people who really, really, really like Garak. The writers had to have him continually kill people without reservation so as to remind the audience he was more of an anti-hero.

No - one more: Nemesis is no worse than most Berman era flicks.
I don't think, when it comes down to it, many people would disagree with this either. I mean it's like smelling crap from different types of cats... they all smell pretty awful.

-Withers-
Withers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2010, 10:36 PM   #41
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Neelix — when employed in a decent storyline (Rise, Fair Trade, Mortal Coil) — was a rather likeable character
I like Star Trek V and don't think Sybok was a bad character at all
I consider The Animated Series a part of the official Star Trek continuity
I like the theme song from Enterprise
All of these apply to me.
I liked Robin Curtis more than Kirstey Alley.
I wouldn't wanna watch TMP ever again....even if someone paid me.
And these.
Arpy wrote: View Post
There are not more humanoids than non-humanoids in the galaxy.
I agree with this - but I think that it is likely that most of the species we would encounter regularly in spacecraft would be, due to form following function and competition for the same resources. It's entirely possible that 80 or more of the races of the Federation are non-biped-humanoids that are perfectly content to let the bipeds travel space, and to share their worlds with them.
RichMerk wrote: View Post
2. I think the Temporal Cold War would have been a really cool idea if they had actually gone ahead and done it instead of just half-heartedly referring to it a few times and then forgetting about it completely.
Yes! Fleets of 22nd century Klingons fighting a squadron of Wells-class ships! Tholian-hired Roman (yes, Roman, not Romulan) mercenaries performing a boarding action against a Valdore-class. And through it all, only 22nd century Captain Archer and his holographic companion from the 30th century remember what the original timeline is supposed to be like as they get shifted from parallel timeline to parallel timeline, hoping each time that the next shift will return them home.
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
ENT is actually a rather good series.
I think that Jolene Blalock's acting on ENT was excellent.
I think City on the Edge of Forever is a bit overrated - sure, it's a good episode, but it's not OMG THE BEST EVA! etc.
I'm with you on these.
RegFan wrote: View Post
Yesterday's Enterprise is a very bad episode. (that's a very unpopular opinion)
I can't stand Tasha Yar.
And I support these statements, as well, with the qualifiers that I do confess to enjoying the novelty of the two Enterprises in the episode, and I do like Denise Crosby - she seems to have at least a modicum of respect for the fans.
lstyer wrote: View Post
I'm not sure this is unpopular, but I absolutely hate the "V" on the foreheads of TNG Romulans.
I hate it as long as it remains unexplained. If they actually explained that the Romulan government attempted to reinforce their species with the best traits from a few others (maybe the ridges are Klingon, and TNG Romulans have a sturdier skeletal system?) sometime between TOS and TNG - possibly as a measure to bolster themselves while at war with whomever that was they were distracted with for 40 years.

I also despise the bowl cuts - and especially their retroactive inclusion in Enterprise.
plynch wrote:
I HATE the Ent-D.
Agreed. She's a top-heavy hotel in space that looks like she should flip over forward at any moment.

Now, some of my own:

I can't stand Will Riker or Jonathan Frakes, or Chakotay or Robert Beltran.
I don't find any of the series regular women from TOS, TNG, or Voyager remotely attractive.
I didn't enjoy "Sarek" at all. In fact, it made me kinda angry.
Old March 22 2010, 10:55 PM   #42
issreliant
Lieutenant Commander

View issreliant's Twitter Profile

1. I am a fan of all the series and movies. (Voyager my least fav was still a good show, i love TNG movies all of them! and ST5!)

2.I like Rom!!!! He's Awesome!

3. Archer is my second fav Captain after Kirk.

4. The nuTrek movie was great, I prefer the new Bones to the old one.

5. I liked Harry kim!

you may tar and feather me now!!!!!!!
Old March 22 2010, 10:59 PM   #43
SheliakBob
Commander

Vulcans!

I am well aware of how Vulcans were developed over the series and movies. My opinion is on how they should have been depicted and not how they actually were.
My opinion is that fondness for the character of Spock sort of rubbed off on Vulcans in general and that the race, being a fan favorite from early on, was made ever more accessible and fan-friendly. They probably shouldn't have.
That's my opinion.

By the way, mine is the only unpopular opinion so far that has provoked vehement opposition and response! So, I'm winning!
I'm more unpopular than any of the rest of you!
Whooo Hoooooo!
wait a minute...aw. @#$@!
SheliakBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2010, 11:00 PM   #44
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I don't give a crap about canon.
I can actually sit through Star Trek V
I think City on the Edge of Forever is mediocre.
Old March 22 2010, 11:11 PM   #45
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Patrick Stewart's accent makes Americans think he's a better actor than he is.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote