RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,140
Posts: 5,433,851
Members: 24,934
Currently online: 505
Newest member: Emperor Khaless

TrekToday headlines

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 18 2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Jetfire
Guest
 
Superman, Red K & Batman?

I was wondering if Superman was on red Kryptonite...would he be more like Batman in attitude?

Or would Superman...not be a hero at all???
  Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2010, 11:53 PM   #2
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral
 
George Steinbrenner's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman, Red K & Batman?

Anything's possible. Red Kryptonite has completely random effects on Superman. There's no way to predict what each piece will do to him.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2010, 12:11 AM   #3
Checkmate
Commodore
 
Re: Superman, Red K & Batman?

I'm guessing he's asking about the crappy Smallville version of Red Kryptonite, which basically turns Clark into a selfish asshole each and every time he's exposed.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman, Red K & Batman?

Yeah Checkmate's got it right with regards to the Smallville version of Red K. It essentially turns Clark into a punk ass. I'm curious though as to what Jetfire means regarding Batman's attitude? What specifically about Bruce? The way he deals with things as opposed to Clark?
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Hermiod
Admiral
 
Hermiod's Avatar
 
Re: Superman, Red K & Batman?

Yeah, Bats puts the fear of, well, Batman in to his enemies but he doesn't really do much that Superman wouldn't do. That's why Superman trusts him with the ring.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: Superman, Red K & Batman?

Doesn't really make much sense, in-universe. It's supposed to release his inhibitions, and basically make him do whatever he wants, right? Which, in Smallville, turns the whiny angst up to 11, and makes him a super-dick.

Actual SUPERMAN, however, isn't exactly portrayed as a guy fighting his inner demons for control. Nor is he Spock wrestling with emotions. The guy is just a boy scout, super-do-good'er, so releasing his inhibitions really shouldn't make much difference, since he's a mid-western, mild-mannered, aw shucks kinda guy anyway...

Batman clearly has a few inner demons, so letting HIM cut wild would result in a blood bath.
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2010, 02:24 PM   #7
Jetfire
Guest
 
Re: Superman, Red K & Batman?

Admiral Young & Hermiod...

Batman does put the fear of...Batman into criminals...was thinking Superman on red K would put the fear of God into them. I was thinking the whole Clark Kent persona would vanish and all there would be is Superman.

Plus Clark on Smallville had lots of issues in season 2 on red K...that made him seem like a jerk...in season 6...still a jerk but the only issue he was dealing with was Lana & Lex getting married. I am thinking Superman on red K would have more attitude.

Scout101 I am not saying he would be unleashing his inner demons...to say Superman is just a good ol' boy robot...which is what I'm getting from your comments is not correct.
  Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: Superman, Red K & Batman?

I disagree, which I guess makes you just as wrong? Where are you seeing all of this dark side of Superman, other than occasional shoddy writing to fit a plot? Not a robot, and may have moments of doubt when in gray areas, but pretty much without fail, he's the 'shining example of all that's good' and all that. Truth, Justice, and the American way, etc.

You can easily see Batman going off the rails into Punisher-like territory, but where do you get that inner quality from Superman that would get unleashed like that? Smallville isn't exactly a good example to use, as the writing there is often piss-poor, and it's tough to even reconcile Clark there with Superman. And even there, Clark is always rigid with his moral compass unless the plot calls for him to do something different...
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2010, 03:27 PM   #9
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain
 
hyzmarca's Avatar
 
Re: Superman, Red K & Batman?

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Actual SUPERMAN, however, isn't exactly portrayed as a guy fighting his inner demons for control. Nor is he Spock wrestling with emotions. The guy is just a boy scout, super-do-good'er, so releasing his inhibitions really shouldn't make much difference, since he's a mid-western, mild-mannered, aw shucks kinda guy anyway...
Superman does have inhibitions. He won't kill people who've really made him angry, for example. He also won't conquer the world for the greater good. Superman without inhibitions is basically Justice Lords Superman. He won't kill unnecessarily, but he won't have many qualms with brain surgery. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is a matter of opinion.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2010, 03:55 PM   #10
Jetfire
Guest
 
Re: Superman, Red K & Batman?

Scout101 wrote: View Post
I disagree, which I guess makes you just as wrong? Where are you seeing all of this dark side of Superman, other than occasional shoddy writing to fit a plot? Not a robot, and may have moments of doubt when in gray areas, but pretty much without fail, he's the 'shining example of all that's good' and all that. Truth, Justice, and the American way, etc.

You can easily see Batman going off the rails into Punisher-like territory, but where do you get that inner quality from Superman that would get unleashed like that? Smallville isn't exactly a good example to use, as the writing there is often piss-poor, and it's tough to even reconcile Clark there with Superman. And even there, Clark is always rigid with his moral compass unless the plot calls for him to do something different...
Any one can be wrong here...with various takes on a character that has been around since the late 1930's...just one general view on this character isn't enough. Is the All American Big Blue Boy Scout the general view of Superman? yes, I can admit to that.
  Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2010, 06:14 PM   #11
Checkmate
Commodore
 
Re: Superman, Red K & Batman?

The problem in Smallville is that Red Kryptonite doesn't just ditch his inhibitations. It turns him into a selfish asshole who only cares about his own pleasure. He is in no way, shape, or form a hero on Red Kryptonite. At best, he'd kill off some criminals who were trying to rob a bank when he showed up to do the same thing.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2010, 06:26 PM   #12
Jetfire
Guest
 
Re: Superman, Red K & Batman?

^
Well according to Kryptonsite Episode #9-18: "Upgrade" April 16, 2010

Will involve red Kryptonite. We'll see how that turns out.
  Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2010, 11:11 PM   #13
The Comedian
Captain
 
The Comedian's Avatar
 
Re: Superman, Red K & Batman?

In the Elseworlds comic "Speeding Bullets", baby Kal-El is found by the Waynes and named Bruce.

When the Waynes are gunned down, young Bruce vaporizes the shooter with a blast of heat vision. Eventually we end up with a Batman, with a bad attitude, with Kryptonian powers.

Now talk about scary...
__________________
The American Dream? You're looking at it.
The Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2010, 03:23 AM   #14
Undead
Continuity Spackle
 
Undead's Avatar
 
Location: Unicron (The mockingjay soars)
Send a message via ICQ to Undead
Re: Superman, Red K & Batman?

Checkmate wrote: View Post
The problem in Smallville is that Red Kryptonite doesn't just ditch his inhibitations. It turns him into a selfish asshole who only cares about his own pleasure. He is in no way, shape, or form a hero on Red Kryptonite. At best, he'd kill off some criminals who were trying to rob a bank when he showed up to do the same thing.
Kind of like how he behaved during the Silver Age?
__________________

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."


Knight Exemplar
Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2010, 04:20 AM   #15
UncleRogi
Commander
 
Location: Hanover NH, the catspaw of Atoning Unifex
Re: Superman, Red K & Batman?

The Comedian wrote: View Post
In the Elseworlds comic "Speeding Bullets", baby Kal-El is found by the Waynes and named Bruce.

When the Waynes are gunned down, young Bruce vaporizes the shooter with a blast of heat vision. Eventually we end up with a Batman, with a bad attitude, with Kryptonian powers.

Now talk about scary...
As I read this thread, I was thinking that very same thing!
(shiver)
__________________
Damn The Romans!--Leto II, God Emperor, to His Memories (Frank Herbert)

You're not the Devil, and I'm no angel; we are simply two minds in contention. Do what you must, but not with him [Uncle Rogi]--Atoning Unifex to newborn Fury (Julian May)
UncleRogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, kryptonite, superman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.