Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 8 2010, 11:46 PM   #31
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Twin Peaks: The Review Run

Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
The Dream Sequence is one of the strangest things to air on television, and I know when I first saw it my mind was blown.
Terrified me, too.
Old March 9 2010, 01:07 AM   #32
nevermore
Admiral

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
Some parts of the movie didn't make sense to me and others just creep me out.
That pretty much sums up Lynchianism in general, doesn't it?
Old March 9 2010, 01:46 AM   #33
J.T.B.
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
The Dream Sequence is one of the strangest things to air on television, and I know when I first saw it my mind was blown.
Terrified me, too.
I was 20 years old in 1990, but I don't mind saying, when Sarah Palmer first saw Bob lurking at the end of the bed (or was it a couch?) it really gave me the chills.

So much tv has passed under the bridge since then, it's hard to remember how far-out it was and how it knocked everybody out. I remember newspapers having Twin Peaks guides with diagrams connecting all the characters. David Lynch was on the cover of Time.

Also, re-watching the series a year or so ago I realized that was the last thing Hank Worden ever did, God bless him. Also, I'm pretty sure that when James and Donna listen to "blues" on the jukebox it's LA roots-rock stalwart Dave Alvin on guitar, but I haven't found any confirmation on that.

--Justin
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2010, 04:21 AM   #34
Steve Roby
Commodore

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
I was 20 years old in 1990, but I don't mind saying, when Sarah Palmer first saw Bob lurking at the end of the bed (or was it a couch?) it really gave me the chills.
I was at least 30 when I first saw it, in the mid-'90s, and in my mid-40s the most recent time I saw it, but that scene has given me the chills each time I've seen it.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2010, 05:16 PM   #35
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

1x04 “Rest in Pain”

I knew it when Cooper said he knew who killed Laura at the end of last episode that it was too good to be true, that it was more complicated than that. "Break the code, solve the crime." I don't think we'll be seeing the complete breaking of the code anytime soon.

The flirtation between Cooper and Audrey continues and I’m not quite sure if Cooper’s really into her or is just indulging her in that area to communicate with her.

The fight scene at the morgue I thought was bound to happen with Albert’s disrespectful attitude towards the people of Twin Peaks. I applaud Truman for punching him but while I understand where Truman, the doctor, and Horne were coming from with their desire to lay Laura to rest; I understood Albert’s point as well. If they are to catch Laura’s murderer, they need evidence and evidence from Laura’s body can prove to be the most crucial in bringing Laura’s murderer to justice. Tests on the body like that can only be done at a certain time before the body is buried.

Laura Palmer’s funeral was one of the most emotional scenes of the series so far, nearly toe-to-toe with the scene when Laura’s parents realize that their daughter is dead. From Bobby’s speech to the townspeople that they all knew Laura was troubled and did nothing to save her to Laura’s father falling into the grave and grabbing hold of Laura’s coffin for dear life. It was an emotional mess all around.

A part of Cooper’s Red Room dream is fulfilled when Laura’s cousin Madeleine enters the show possessing such a striking resemblance to Laura Palmer that you would think it was Laura herself in disguise. I remember in Cooper’s dream, the dwarf saying that dream Laura was his cousin and asking Cooper if she looks exactly like Laura.

I’m wondering if there’s something up with Twin Peaks’ show-within-show Invitation to Love, if it has a connection with what’s going on in the show. Like the Black Freighter comic in Watchmen, which started out as something unimportant but after reading the rest of the story, you begin to put the pieces together.

Cooper’s relationship with the people of Twin Peaks continues to strengthen. He refuses to help Albert file a complaint against Truman for punching him. He thinks about living in Twin Peaks after his investigation is over and then attends Laura’s funeral even though he never had the chance to know her personally before her death. The biggest development in Cooper’s developing relationship with the townspeople is when he’s introduced to the Bookhouse Boys. The Bookhouse Boys are a secret society whose members have sworn to protect Twin Peaks from people like drug dealer Jacques Renault who’s selling drugs to high school kids with the help of Lee Johnson, Bobby, and Mike. The Bookhouse Boys are like the Others of Twin Peaks with the town taking the place of the Island. They are aware that Twin Peaks is different from any other place on Earth and that there’s an ancient dark presence in the old woods which is the cost of all the good things Twin Peaks has. Could this dark presence be the Bob from Cooper’s dream?

Catherine is evil and conniving as always, thinking two steps ahead of Pete and Josie just when they thought they finally had proof something was wrong with the mill’s finances.

Dr. Jacoby’s visit to Laura’s grave makes me wonder how close he and Laura really were.

Shelly has a gun. Does she plan on using it to protect herself from Lee?

The romance between Truman and Josie feels flat in chemistry to me though I’m happy Truman has someone to go home to at the end of the day.

Hank’s talk about a person having more than a soul is beautifully thought-provoking and Leland’s unraveling starting with last episode is terribly tragic. I would think Laura’s mother would have gotten this bad by now but somehow she still possesses a somewhat stable state of mind.

On another note, has anyone noticed that the Bob and Mike from Cooper’s dream have the exact same names as Bobby Briggs and his friend Mike? Is it a coincidence or is there some significance to it?
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2010, 09:28 PM   #36
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Here's another cool Twin Peaks video I've come around on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKWDCFCV4Ac
Old March 17 2010, 09:31 PM   #37
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Speaking of Twin Peaks, I'm having a good time playing Deadly Premonition right now on Xbox 360 right now. Some of you may remember it when it was know as Rainy Woods, and was actually delayed for too closely resembling Twin Peaks.

Utter Theft, but the game was changed a bit, and has finally been released. I reccomend it for anyone wanting a fun Peaks like story, but the gameplay is a bit rough. It is a budget title though, so the investment is small.

It really has the quirky touch though, and an awesome soundtrack

Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2010, 01:11 AM   #38
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I would say Twin Peaks was possibly the most artistic show ever to reach prime time network television.
Old March 18 2010, 04:25 AM   #39
Mallet
Fleet Captain

A little late to the discussion, but I have been giving some thought to the order on how to watch TP since I'm going to watch it again soon with my girlfriend (her first time).

I am thinking that maybe we should start by watching the first act of Fire Walk With Me (the Chet Desmond, Sam Stanly part and the murder of Teressa Banks (since it takes place a full year before the series starts)) then stop the film and switch to the tv series. After the tv series is over we can go back and finish watching the movie (the last seven days of Laura Palmer).

What do people think of that plan? It's probably the closest way to watch it in chronological order, without giving away all of the spoilers that are in the last half of Fire Walk With Me.
Old March 18 2010, 04:31 AM   #40
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Good idea but I rather stick with the plan I have going now: watch the entire series, then the movie.
Old March 18 2010, 04:58 AM   #41
Christopher
Writer

I think the first viewing or reading of any series is generally best done in the order it originally came out. A chronological viewing or reading (if it differs from that order) should come later, as a way of getting a different perspective.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2010, 05:18 AM   #42
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Series first.

The Deer Meadow scenes of Fire Walk With me serve as an amusing mirror image of Twin Peaks, and the joke is lost if you haven't seen the series. Plus, the first image someone should see in Twin Peaks is the discovery of Laura's body.

The movie really needs the opening anyway, it's the only lighthearted part of the film.
Old March 18 2010, 06:20 AM   #43
DeadmeatDiggory
Commander

As someone who never caught the series original, but knows of the ID of the killer, can the series be still enjoyed and has it been runined for me??
Old March 18 2010, 06:26 AM   #44
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

I know the killer's identity though I've only seen a handful of the show's episodes. I think you can still enjoy the show because knowing the identity of the killer is one thing, finding out the why and going through the buildup to the reveal while the other characters at the time are unaware of it is quite another like you're waiting for a bomb to go off.
Old March 18 2010, 06:32 AM   #45
Kirkman1987
Commodore

DeadmeatDiggory wrote: View Post
As someone who never caught the series original, but knows of the ID of the killer, can the series be still enjoyed and has it been runined for me??
Oh Yes, TP is one of the most original television shows ever, and it's cult fanbase has been rewatching the series for 20 years. It has a lot to offer outside of the reveal of the mystery. The characters, build up, jokes, music, etc. are top notch.

watching it knowing the killer and mysteryallows you to enjoy the series in another way.