Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old March 17 2010, 01:08 AM   #31
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Upcoming Productions for March/April/May

There's a note in one of the "Making of..." books for one of the Trek series from Michael Piller, a memo he included with one of the drafts of the pilot (for DS9 I think) ... that went something like this:

"Comments are welcome as long as they're positive!"

Look, myself -- and I am only speaking for myself here -- it becomes more a matter of wanting a review and not a summary.

The majority of reviews tend to not delve in to the larger choices or ramifications of character arcs, stories, events, or motivations. There is no in-depth analysis. As I said previously, for my taste, it's all sizzle and no bacon.

Maybe that's too much to expect. I don't know. I think about critical criticism of say, an Alfred Hitchcock film and then I think about most of the reviews I read about fan films, and I wonder why the latter can't be more like the former, particularly in this genre where so many fans are so loud and proud about their critical and storytelling skills.

Or, alternatively, why there can't be a more personal perspective involved. I know she's not very popular in some circles here, but Michelle Erica Green's reviews of Trek episodes come to mind. I may not agree with each point she makes, but her reviews are readable, they raise cogent points, ask questions, hold the writers/producers' feet to the fire, and more importantly open a forum for discussion.

I guess what I'm saying is that most fan film reviews I read don't do any of that. What's the point of discussing "Blood and Fire, 2" if the only gripes the reviewer has are the fact that the sound wasn't ready in time?

Again, maybe it's too much to expect.

Last edited by doubleohfive; March 17 2010 at 02:46 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17 2010, 04:35 PM   #32
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain

Don't read the reviews then if it messes up your viewing. Why do you keep reiterating that point. We got it the first four or five posts. I enjoy reading the reviews. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't. But who gives a "it rhymes with buck". Besides your pointless posts contribute nothing to the topic of Upcoming Productions from March/April/May.

No offense to Dennis, I kind of like a schedule or at least a ballpark. Oh well, life stalls our hobbies at times, so it is very understandable, unless your Starship Farragut, then I can wait because of Taggert's comments, but will I read Hall's reviews, not too much because they fall within the bad humor within reviews that I find distasteful. Sorry, but I like the tentative schedule that you throw up. Good work.
Old March 17 2010, 05:42 PM   #33
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

ProwlAlpha wrote: View Post
Don't read the reviews then if it messes up your viewing. Why do you keep reiterating that point. We got it the first four or five posts. I enjoy reading the reviews. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't. But who gives a "it rhymes with buck". Besides your pointless posts contribute nothing to the topic of Upcoming Productions from March/April/May.
I had an opinion and I shared it. I used the reviews I had most recent access to -- Randy's -- as an example of an overriding problem I have with the state of reviews today. And yes, it is as simple as 'don't read them!' which is why, by and large, I don't. However to assume I meant that reading the reviews "messes up" my viewing is misguided. I never said that; don't misread what I said.

And while it may not have been the ideal route to go in replying to this thread, my "pointless posts" that "contribute nothing" were merely in response to Captain Randy Hall's little melodramatic outbursts, hoping to find some kind of logic to his little temper tantrum. Clearly there was none.
Old March 18 2010, 12:38 PM   #34
CDR Tacket
Lieutenant Junior Grade

ProwlAlpha:

I hope while you are reading that you try to comprehend what the writer has written. The only reason I say this is because of the error you made. It's Tacket. Not:
ProwlAlpha wrote: View Post
Taggert's
Perhaps you were watching "Blazing Saddles" while typing. An honest mistake.
CDR Tacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2010, 02:26 PM   #35
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

CDR Tacket wrote: View Post
Perhaps you were watching "Blazing Saddles" while typing. An honest mistake.
Nah, Galaxy Quest.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2010, 04:37 PM   #36
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain

No, it was Beverly Hills Cop
Old March 19 2010, 04:56 AM   #37
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

We've made it to Friday, which brings up a question I've been tossing around in my noggin. I write Fan Film Friday at SciFiPulse.net and link to it in a thread here in part because I like the title (Remember kids: Always Avoid Alliteration!) and in part because we're heading into the weekend, when many readers and posters have more time to check out the independent productions than during the work week.

Is it a good idea to also post the latest version of my calendar on Friday, or is that too much of a good thing on one day? Obviously, anyone can post here at any time and make announcements regarding their projects (ending or starting or anything in between). On the other hand, this was a slow week in FFF news other than the few new projects that are slated to become available in the next couple of weeks.

I did get confirmation that Star Trek: Osiris will finish its two-part pilot on the date in the calendar. I want to remind anyone who has news about fan films, animations, audio dramas and things like that can put them up here in this TrekBBS thread and I'll incorporate that into the calendar.
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2010, 05:14 PM   #38
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

I've done a little tweakiing on the list from earlier this week, adding days of the week and minor stuff like that, but it's got a lot of information.

Here's the Friday list:

March 28 (Sunday)
Star Trek: Osiris
Conclusion of “Eclipse,” its two-part pilot
http://www.stosiris.com/
Source: Barbreader
http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/

March 30 (Tuesday)
Star Trek: Phase II
“Enemy Starfleet”
http://www.startrekphase2.com/
Source: TrekMovie.com article

Late March/Early April
Starship Farragut Animated
“The Needs of the Many”
http://www.farragut-animated.com/needs.html
Source: www.farragut-animated.com

May 1 (Saturday)
Star Trek: Phoenix: Cloak and Dagger
Star Trek: Phoenix is going to be shown locally in Washington state during April before releasing “Cloak and Dagger” for Internet distribution at the start of May. Their site can be found at http://www.stphoenix.com/

COMING SOON BUT NO RELEASE DATE GIVEN
Star Trek: Imperium
http://startrekimperium.net/

RECENT RELEASES
Star Trek: Encarta (1999)
Part 1 of 4; now all 4 available on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-UnmC3s-dk

Star Trek: Encarta II: Destiny’s Advocate
Part 2 of 4; now all 4 available on YouTube

Star Trek: Encarta III: Condemned
Part 3 of 4; now all 4 available on YouTube

Star Trek: Encarta IV: Dark Hope
Part 4 of 4; now all 4 available on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Q7kXlYSoY

Star Trek: The Go!Animate Generation: The Siren’s Carnage
RoTV
First part of a four-part online comic
http://goanimate.com/movie/0su3dFX3A9LU/1

Have a great weekend!
Old March 22 2010, 07:05 AM   #39
CaptainKen
Lieutenant Commander

View CaptainKen's Twitter Profile

Thanks for the handy dandy calender, Randy. (I think I know a guy that tried doing this once before...)

Just hope the expected due dates are met. Reminds of when my wife was pregnant.... projected due dates don't always apply to reality!
Old March 22 2010, 04:40 PM   #40
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

I am at a libraray because my computer died. I got into trouble on this thread. I don't have time left to read the whole thread, so let me just say that I didn't want to start a fight with anyone. If somebody followed up with something to me, I am not ignoring you, I am off the net.

My website does not preview when fan films are coming out. My website is exactly the opposite of a news website. It is an index of existing materials
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2010, 12:05 AM   #41
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

CaptainKen wrote: View Post
Thanks for the handy dandy calender, Randy. (I think I know a guy that tried doing this once before...)

Just hope the expected due dates are met. Reminds of when my wife was pregnant.... projected due dates don't always apply to reality!
You've just given me the inspiration for a self-run business: Randy's Handy Dandy Candy!

As for missing deadlines, all I can do is pop up a post with as much info on the change as I have and hopefully a guesstimate toward an advised date.

Of course, I'm not the Grand High Exalted Poobah here. If you learn something from a reliable source and want to post it, fire away. I might do a little fact checking just to be sure, but I'm sure we'll all be glad to be kept informed on this fun hobby of ours.
Old March 23 2010, 12:08 AM   #42
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

Barbreader wrote: View Post
I am at a libraray because my computer died. I got into trouble on this thread. I don't have time left to read the whole thread, so let me just say that I didn't want to start a fight with anyone. If somebody followed up with something to me, I am not ignoring you, I am off the net.

My website does not preview when fan films are coming out. My website is exactly the opposite of a news website. It is an index of existing materials
Sorry to hear about your computer, Barb. I hope you give it the flusheral it deserves....

Last edited by Captain Randy Hall; March 23 2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: typo in a typo
Old March 23 2010, 03:40 PM   #43
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

Again, I am at the library with a few fleeting minutes. I will be adding your reviews to my website when my (still under warrenty) computer is brought back from the dead. I shipped it back to the mother ship on Friday, so they should have beemed it up by now. I sure hope I have it by the 28th, I'd hate to not be able to give Part II of the Osiris pilot the headline it so richly deserves.
Old March 23 2010, 04:16 PM   #44
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
Geez...enough with the cat fights already! Chill folks! No, I don't care who started it....
The Library gave me an extra 15 minutes so I'm reading this thread, and I wanted to say, since 'cat fights' usually means fights among females, I do think I'm the only female on this thread, and I'm a lioness, so, LION FIGHTS!

SO THERE!!

I also want to say this about reviews. There are several different reasons for reviews.

One is to generate traffic for a film.
Another is more on the order of literary criticism... comments useful to the film makers.

These purposes are not always in harmony. Often a review, even a nasty one which is clever, will generate more traffic and a positive 'literary' review.

I am interested in getting my information and reviews 'correct' because my website aims for the long term, and because I have always been the 'brainy' type. My high school nick name was "Spock." But also because I've never been successful at being one of the popular girls who get sarcastic and everyone identifies with me and laughs.

However, if a secondary audio production or less known film maker can get significantly more traffic when covered by a clever reviewer, that's great. Frankly, I support anything that gives fan films the attention I think they deserve.

I realize that Phase II, Farragut, Hidden Fronteir, and Intrepid get covered by the real press, and don't need me, or Logbook, or Fan Film Fridays, or any other fan reviewer. When I told a friend of mine that Phase II has probably had more viewers than Star Trek XI he went to my website for the first time, even though he's not a Trek fan. I know who the big boys are, and I am in appropriate awe.

But there are 40 other groups that have already produced films, (not counting another 20 to 40 that have produced parodies and comedies) and probably 40 more working on them, and I do think we provide some additional attention and audience to those, less-well-known groups. Some of these other films are really good. Some of the 180-odd audio productions are also exciting and would make great listening when you are stuck in traffic.

Awestruckness has never been a strong suit with me. My ex is a well-known right-wing political commentator, (I am a blazing moderate) and I'm been stopped and greeted on the street by a variety of famous people, some of whom I can't remember how they know me (certainly a weird turnaround!). I tend to absent-mindedly chat up people no matter who they are.

At a recent Climate Change lecture, Neil DeGrasse Tyson was not being recognised by the crowd. I waved at him. I used to be a regular at his lectures before he was famous, so he came over and we chatted about climate change, fan films and how I felt they could work with the science establishment to educate people about the frontiers of science the way old Trek used to. Will it ever happen? I've gotten interest from both some scientists and some fan film makers. Obviously, I'd rather the famous scientists get to work with the 'big boys' of the fan films. But I'm not clear about who is interested in what.

So yes, I stick my two cents in where it does not belong. I live in the USA, and we call it The First Amendment. I understand the French call it The Rights of Man.

Lion fight!
Old March 23 2010, 05:49 PM   #45
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Writing a good review is much tougher than anyone who hasn't tried it thinks it is. Among the issues to consider is figuring out how much commentary the audience wants or needs (the panning was right to left instead of left to right...does that matter, would anyone but an anal retentive geek notice...or care... or want it pointed out?), how much credibility you bring when you issue opinions ("x gives a terrible/great performance, he/she is wonderful/just awful). One reviewer critiqued my narrating style by saying I was "copying CNN" in the style that they use to pretend they are non-biased..WTF? I mean, I might sound that way but I read news for 20 years...it's pretty safe to say I wasn't copying anybody. Now of course, if that wasn't the right approach, fine...but what kind of value does that kind of comment add?

Bottom line, reviews are important tools for helping to raise interest in fan productions and helping to lay the groundwork for improved quality.

It might also be well to remember that while the fan productions in all media are by nature, mostly amateur with production teams and talent who vary wildly in experience, background and sheer talent, the same might be true of reviewers and anyone making a plea for some amount of slack on one end should be prepared to grant that request in the other direction.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote