A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old February 11 2010, 10:14 PM   #31
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile
Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

I went through my old photo albums last night and came across some more pictures of my bridge -- including one rather embarrassing photo of me at 16. Enjoy!

Melonpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2010, 11:52 PM   #32
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Melon, nice work ! We're going with the flat screen panels from STVI more than the hoods. Our test hoods kept sagging, and sagging and well, it wasn't very pretty after three days. So we decided to opt for the flats.

Dennis, haven't tried Craig's List. Will definitely give a look there tonight.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2010, 06:59 PM   #33
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Just a quick update: We started construction on our set Saturday, mainly drawing lines on the concrete, doing measurements and calculations, that sort of thing. We were really disappointed we were unable to secure a warehouse here in Albany (see our website for details), but we're actually realizing that the money saved on rent, insurance, etc., will be able to go into the sets.

Hopefully, once things get going in earnest -- this weekend, weather permitting -- we'll get some pictures posted.
Old March 11 2010, 12:07 AM   #34
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Sounds good!
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2010, 04:30 AM   #35
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Pictures posted on our website. Didn't get a lot done; just the helm-nav console and astrogator framed in. Framing of the platform should begin next Saturday and Sunday, weather permitting.
Old March 16 2010, 05:23 PM   #36
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

Wow! It's looking great!

One thing you might want to do to make your life a lot simpler later is notch out some holes in the inner console supports before you get too farther along, so that you can pass wiring or lights through them once the console is completed.

This was a mistake that I made years ago and it was a real pain to drill holes after the set was completed. It's a lot easier to just do it before it's put together. I found that a 1 inch x 3 inch cut-out at the bottom was about right, though a 1.5 inch drill bit will work in a pinch.

Of course, I was using Christmas tree lights on mine, so I have to have enough clearance for the large plug. Not sure what your plans are, but I thought I'd mention it, in case it'll help!

Good job!
Old March 16 2010, 06:22 PM   #37
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Exactly our thoughts, too. We'll be attaching the bottom panel to the outside of the bottom 2x4's giving us space to run the lighting electrical. We've ordered the mini-lights we'll be using on the console, and hopefully will be ready next weekend to install them when they arrive.

We intend to run the power cords underneath the astrogator, underneath the captain's platform to one of several outlets on the set.

We also ordered materials for some of our props last night, and a tarp to hang across the front of the building to protect it from weather. We also have to eventually block the two full length windows with hardyboard, but we're going to wait until we finish framing the platform.

All in all, we're HOPING six weeks to construct, but I think nine to twelve is more realistic in terms of how long it will take.
Old March 16 2010, 06:28 PM   #38
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

Do you have any ideas on how to position the lights under the backlit displays? I always used well-placed duct tape, but it never really worked well. I've also head of people using chicken wire or screen door mesh as kind of an under lattice-work to attach the lights to under the plexiglass display.

Anybody ever tried this or have any other ideas? I'm almost to the console stage of my build, and I'm still grappling with this. I'd hate to have to resort to duct tape, yet again.
Old March 16 2010, 07:08 PM   #39
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Melonpool wrote: View Post
Do you have any ideas on how to position the lights under the backlit displays? I always used well-placed duct tape, but it never really worked well. I've also head of people using chicken wire or screen door mesh as kind of an under lattice-work to attach the lights to under the plexiglass display.
I'm actually going to use these little lights that will be attached by drill through the hardyboard, insert them, put a dollop of hot glue on them to hold them in place, then secure the overlay to outside of the hardyboard. We're still undecided about whether or not to cover the outside of the overlay with plexiglas or acrylic or just let it ride.
Old March 17 2010, 10:49 PM   #40
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

Are you planning to make the kickbacks on the sides of the helm console? I believe that the helm/nav console and the turbolifts were the only parts of the original set that were salvaged after ST IV -- as most of it was damaged after TNG stored the movie bridge outside during a rainstorm that destroyed it.

Anyway, the kickbacks are pretty easy to make if you have access to a compound mitre saw. Set the saw at 30 degrees X-axis and 30 degrees y-axis and saw a 2 x 2 piece of lumber into two equal sized pieces about 6 to 8 inches long. Be careful when making this cut! Make sure you know where the blade will end up when you saw it so you don't lop off a finger or two! The other side of the 2 x 2 should be a straight 90 degree cut.

These become the front edge of the console wing and can be screwed right into the side of the console you've already built. Make a corresponding part for the back of the console that vaguely looks like a "7" and fill in the rest of the parts with the paneling to skin it. You can fill in the cracks with putty and paint it. It really finishes off the set nicely.

It took me forever to figure out how to make them, so if you can use this knowledge, have at it. Hopefully, my diagram will help!

Steve

Old March 18 2010, 02:48 AM   #41
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

We considered that, but decided it would impede the actors in moving around the limited area of the bridge.

By the way, we updated our website with three new images tonight in our Building the Bridge 2 page: http://www.projectpotemkin.com/build...e_bridge_2.htm
Old March 22 2010, 07:26 PM   #42
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

Looking good!

Understand about limited space. I had to abandon the railing in mine for the same reason. Hope you don't mind my little "tips." If anything that I've discovered can help you guys, I see it as a win-win situation. Likewise, if you pick up any time-saving or cool ideas while constructing your set, I'd love to hear them!

I think all of our projects can benefit greatly from one another's experiences. I know how isolated I felt building back in the 80s (before the Internet), and am happy to see kindred spirits out there living the dream as well.

Looking forward to more updates!

Steve
Old March 23 2010, 07:45 AM   #43
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

This weekend was so rainy that I ended up working on putting together the props. We ended up ordering two phasers, three tricorders for those props. But with our communicators, we chose to order up 20 broken cell phones of the same make and model. We're painting and detailing them to look like the ST:V communicators.

As far as sets goes, tonight Ricky and I worked on the Klingon bridge set facade. The Klingon footage will be shot first, and we also contacted a lot of Klingon fans in Georgia trying to come up with two or three cast members. We've had only a few express interest, but we're hoping to find a few this week or next. (And if anyone with a Klingon costume and makeup would like to appear in the first episode of Potemkin, please let us know!)

Back to your post, we agree that everyone can benefit from sharing information. We LOVE your turbolift exit, and are looking at trying that on our set for our turbolifts and rear exit from the bridge. We're thinking of using the hardware from closet doors to get them to slide open and close. Any suggestions there?
Old March 23 2010, 06:22 PM   #44
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

You know what I have in my old prop box? 5 of the walkie talky Star Trek V communicators that Crest put out as a movie tie-in back in the day. We were going to use them in our movies, but by the time they released them, we never made any more. I used to have a sixth, but I converted one into a flux capicitor on a puppet-sized time machine on one of my other projects.

Would these be something that you could use? I'm planning to put them up on ebay eventually.

They look exactly like these.
Old March 24 2010, 02:43 AM   #45
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

I actually sold my pair at ShoreLeave years ago. They're not what I had in mind, but thanks for the suggestion/offer. After working out the issue with the grid, we're sure we've got the right way to go with vinyl appliques on the repainted cell phones. Working now on getting back covers for them.

Spent the evening painting the Klingon bridge set. Should have it completely finished and ready for filming this weekend. Now if we can only find some Klingons...