Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old March 16 2010, 01:55 AM   #16
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Upcoming Productions for March/April/May

Captain Randy Hall wrote: View Post
>>>>"It seems that she only gets to have temper tantrums. That can only last so long before her character becomes a word that rhymes with “snitch.” Seriously? Really?

First of all, don't call her a bitch if you aren't prepared to call her a bitch. It's already demeaning, but even if it's accurate don't sugar-coat it. This isn't first grade. Secondly, so the fuck what? Perhaps she was written this way. Perhaps it was a by product of the actress' performance. Perhaps there's just something we don't know yet because the story is unfolding slowly? Just seems pointless to go to the effort of rhyming it out and not have any kind of follow-through beyond the fact that the reviewer thinks she "only gets to throw tantrums."

It's just one example of the minor, points that really don't matter a hell of a lot to me with regard to a film being reviewed. I've watched every episode Farragut has released and honestly, Smithfield never came across this way to me; yet while the reviewer makes sure to include this little tidbit, it is otherwise not an in-depth review, it's all sizzle and no bacon.<<<<

I didn't want her character to continue moving in that direction. I didn't accuse her of being something, I said I was concerned she was heading that.way, so I used a concept many folks here apparently have little contact with: humor.
But that's not what you did. You may not have "accused" her of being something, but you seemed to be suggesting that whatever characterization has been presented is, in your mind, thus far only able to lead to one outcome -- that Smithfield is a "rhymes with 'snitch'"

I'm not saying you can't come to that conclusion in your review; I'm just saying if you're going to go there, go there. Don't mince words.

Further, throwing out veiled insults as at best, a means of deflecting the issue at hand and at worst, completely ignoring the point being addressed isn't really the best way to represent yourself, especially if you are expecting to be taken seriously as a critic.

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I'm confused.

"The only difference I have with this series as opposed to that film is the response I get..."

Which series? Which film? I'm assuming Farragut is one of them, but to which other series/film are you referring/comparing to?
You are indeed confused if you think I'm going to point fingers and say nasty things about people whom I think are doing tremendous work for the fans.

Definitely confused.
1) I'm confused because of your poorly worded post, Randy. The way that post I referenced was written, it is exceedingly difficult to understand what you're going on about, and my response to it was a genuine query in an attempt to understand what you were saying. I was in no way asking or suggesting you 'point fingers and say nasty things" about anyone.

2) You seriously need to drop this wounded, passive-aggressive tone in your posts. You're no victim; stop acting like one. I'm honestly trying to understand whatever point it is you were making earlier but these little emotional roller coaster rides aren't helping.

3)
Ever notice how people accuse someone of attacking someone else are by using the word "attack" they are the ones doing the attacking?
I'm going to assume, for the sake of argument, this is directed at me, and since I'm the only one who sees fit to respond to you.

Exactly where -- in any of my responses to this thread -- did I attack you, Randy?

Last edited by doubleohfive; March 16 2010 at 02:19 AM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2010, 01:56 AM   #17
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

By the way, if any group or organization does NOT want me to preview or review your project(s), post that right here and I'll never touch your stuff again. Have a nice evening while I go watch 24.
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2010, 01:57 AM   #18
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

By the way, if any group or organization does NOT want me to preview or review your project(s), post that right here and I'll never touch your stuff again. Have a nice evening while I go watch 24.
Oh for crying out loud.

It's one thing to volunteer to compose this list. It's admirable. It's a nice thing to do. But dude you are so totally overreacting. You don't like what anyone has to say so you raise a huff and puff and then storm off angrily after throwing out empty ultimatums?

That sounds more like a tantrum to me. It's also super passive-aggressive.

Stop.

If you want to be taken seriously, stop being a baby. Stop being passive-aggressive.

Stop playing the role of a victim where there are no victims. It's a message board discussion, not the goddamn Holocaust.

Last edited by doubleohfive; March 16 2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old March 16 2010, 01:59 AM   #19
CDR Tacket
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Let me start out by saying that my brother and I had a negative experience with the folks of the Farragut. I'm sure if you asked several people, you'd get five different responses. At least, that's my humble opinion on those opinions. We went our separate ways and I figured that was the end of that.

I'm sure that if you ask the producer's involved with Farragut you will get the same answer.

Your idea may have merit, but in my opinion it is not a realistic idea. The amount of time it would take to gather and continually update what would amount to a huge spreadsheet would be an enormous undertaking that I doubt you have the resources to keep up with.

Let’s look at this a little closer with regard to Farragut. Over the past year our schedule has been turned upside down on several occasions to allow us the time necessary to build our own sets, release A Rock And A Hard Place, re-film Just Passing Through, create additional costumes, work and support Starship Polaris, socialize and keep our day jobs and feature Starship Farragut at every possible convention we can and still giving away hundreds of DVD’s.

Now I’m not saying everyone is that busy, but we are. To provide a schedule of releases would not be practical. It’s funny, I remember talking with you Randy, and you indicated that you would be very displeased if NEO-fx missed the end of the year deadline for The Needs Of The Many. Like you were owed. This labor of love for us takes time to produce, schedules to coordinate. I hope you understand when I say we will not be offering dates for a release unless we are absolutely positive that we can make it.

We operate on our timetable and when we have something coming up, we will certainly make an announcement on the forums, in our newsletter and any other media we can. We will also rent the theater out again and invite anyone that wants to attend for free to see the newest episode of Farragut. We’ve done this twice already. Once for “For Want Of A Nail” and also the release of “A Rock And A Hard Place” and “Just Passing Through.” We are very proud of the fans that watch Starship Farragut.
CDR Tacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2010, 02:01 AM   #20
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

So doubleohfive, are you volunteering to write some reviews like I do? I've only been doing this for a couple of years, first in a club newsletter and then SciFiPulse.net.

And if someone is keeping copies of my column, I didn't realize just how many fans I have!
Old March 16 2010, 02:06 AM   #21
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

>>Your idea may have merit, but in my opinion it is not a realistic idea. The amount of time it would take to gather and continually update what would amount to a huge spreadsheet would be an enormous undertaking that I doubt you have the resources to keep up with.

Let’s look at this a little closer with regard to Farragut. Over the past year our schedule has been turned upside down on several occasions to allow us the time necessary to build our own sets, release A Rock And A Hard Place, re-film Just Passing Through, create additional costumes, work and support Starship Polaris, socialize and keep our day jobs and feature Starship Farragut at every possible convention we can and still giving away hundreds of DVD’s.

Now I’m not saying everyone is that busy, but we are. To provide a schedule of releases would not be practical. It’s funny, I remember talking with you Randy, and you indicated that you would be very displeased if NEO-fx missed the end of the year deadline for The Needs Of The Many. Like you were owed. This labor of love for us takes time to produce, schedules to coordinate. I hope you understand when I say we will not be offering dates for a release unless we are absolutely positive that we can make it.<<

I've been doing that on a weekly basis since July. Could you do it?
Old March 16 2010, 02:08 AM   #22
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Wow, that has to be the shortest episode of 24 ever!

So doubleohfive, are you volunteering to write some reviews like I do? I've only been doing this for a couple of years, first in a club newsletter and then SciFiPulse.net.

And if someone is keeping copies of my column, I didn't realize just how many fans I have!
No, I am not volunteering to write reviews. If I had the time, interest, or means I would have done so long ago. As it stands, I am limited to brief blurbs when these things get released, if I can find time to view them.

I question the relevance this has to the discussion however. I have posed many questions since your little tantrum at the bottom of page one of this thread, all of which you have ignored.

Last edited by doubleohfive; March 16 2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old March 16 2010, 02:10 AM   #23
CDR Tacket
Lieutenant Junior Grade

>>
Asked and answered you moron
CDR Tacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2010, 02:11 AM   #24
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

>>Your idea may have merit, but in my opinion it is not a realistic idea. The amount of time it would take to gather and continually update what would amount to a huge spreadsheet would be an enormous undertaking that I doubt you have the resources to keep up with.

Now I’m not saying everyone is that busy, but we are. To provide a schedule of releases would not be practical. It’s funny, I remember talking with you Randy, and you indicated that you would be very displeased if NEO-fx missed the end of the year deadline for The Needs Of The Many. Like you were owed. This labor of love for us takes time to produce, schedules to coordinate. I hope you understand when I say we will not be offering dates for a release unless we are absolutely positive that we can make it.<<

Putting aside for the moment that Tacket already answered this question, what you are talking about is, plain and simple, apples and oranges, Randy. It's not even in the same league.

There is a world of difference between watching a short film and reviewing it, and mounting a full-on production of a short film, distributing it, and still maintain some semblance of a normal life.

This is not to say that you don't work just as hard, far from it. However the commitment of time, effort and resources involved in producing a short film like Farragut is astronomical compared to what you are doing.

Again, I ask you why you are ignoring my previous questions.
Old March 16 2010, 02:18 AM   #25
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I have to agree with Dennis and CDR Tacket on this one. Too often, reviews -- especially about fan films -- have no real relevance to what I'm looking for in a review...
Now - I'm not objecting to either the content or format of any review. What I'm saying is that, as a general practice, I wouldn't provide advance review copies of a show to anyone.

That is part of a marketing process that makes sense for film distributors and many TV shows. I don't see any point for us in mimicking the process.

When it's ready for release, it's ready for release.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2010, 02:35 AM   #26
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Apologies, Dennis, if my initial response were interpreted that way. Certainly not my intention.

All I meant was that I agree, trying to create a list of deadlines was both a bad idea and a cumbersome task.
Old March 16 2010, 07:04 AM   #27
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

OK, now where were we? That's right, compiling a list of recently released and upcoming fan films. This is pretty much what I hoped for in starting this thread.

March 28
Star Trek: Osiris
Conclusion of “Eclipse,” its two-part pilot
http://www.stosiris.com/
Source: Barbreader
http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/

March 30
Star Trek: Phase II
“Enemy Starfleet”
http://www.startrekphase2.com/
Source: TrekMovie.com article

Late March/Early April
Starship Farragut Animated
“The Needs of the Many”
http://www.farragut-animated.com/needs.html
Source: www.farragut-animated.com

May 1
Star Trek: Phoenix: Cloak and Dagger
Star Trek: Phoenix is going to be shown locally in Washington state during April before releasing ”Cloak and Dagger” for Internet distribution at the start of May. Their site can be found at http://www.stphoenix.com/

COMING SOON BUT NO RELEASE DATE GIVEN
Star Trek: Imperium
http://startrekimperium.net/

RECENT RELEASES
Star Trek: Encarta (1999)
Part 1 of 4; now all 4 available on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-UnmC3s-dk

Star Trek: Encarta II: Destiny’s Advocate
Part 2 of 4; now all 4 available on YouTube

Star Trek: Encarta III: Condemned
Part 3 of 4; now all 4 available on YouTube

Star Trek: Encarta IV: Dark Hope
Part 4 of 4; now all 4 available on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Q7kXlYSoY

Star Trek: The Go!Animate Generation: The Siren’s Carnage
RoTV
First part of a four-part online comic
http://goanimate.com/movie/0su3dFX3A9LU/1

This isn't as comprehensive as the Star Trek Reviewed site run by Barbreader, but it'll do for now.

Randy

Last edited by Captain Randy Hall; March 16 2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Typo
Old March 16 2010, 07:08 AM   #28
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

And just for the record, I've never written a column with the intension of "attacking" anyone, so I'm not impressed by name calling or efforts to tear down something I thought was a good idea when I started it, and I still believe that way.
Old March 16 2010, 08:13 AM   #29
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

How do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you conduct yourself this way?

Where did anyone EVER accuse you of writing a review solely to attack someone?

Why do you continue to refuse to answer any of my questions?

Last edited by doubleohfive; March 16 2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old March 17 2010, 12:54 AM   #30
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Geez...enough with the cat fights already! Chill folks! No, I don't care who started it....

Anyway, there is a point to be made when it comes to critically reviewing fan productions. As was pointed out before things went too far downhill, the biggest gripes are usually over the quality of the acting. Professional producers have access to a talent pool that those of us on the amateur side simply don't. Even though casting calls routinely draw large responses at established houses, it doesn't take long when you review them that acting is a lot more difficult than professionals make it look or sound. For all the grief actors like Garret Wang, Bruce Boxleitner or Majel Barret took at times, the fact is that they perform at a much higher level than the vast majority of amateur performers. I agree that's pretty obvious, but it's just worth remembering when you're ready to rip somebody for a performance that doesn't meet the standards we've learned to expect from TV, movies and professional stage presentations. One of the things I like to look at in a series like Phase II or even Exeter is the improvement from episode to episode. Compare the performances of the Big Three of James, Charles and John in WEAT to In Harm's Way and I think you'll come away very impressed. In Exeter, I think it's much the same.

Certainly I understand how tough it can be to accept criticism. Excelsior was on the receiving end of a review on Noriega.biz that had a lot of valid points laced with unnecessary sarcasm and completely off base projections about the motivations and background of yours truly. Oh well, amateur productions and amateur criticism... I guess things like that are to be expected.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote