Best of Both Worlds: The Daring Cliffhanger
By: T'Bonz on Jul 6

Trekonomics Book
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Shore Leave 37 Convention
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Two New ThinkGeek Trek-themed Items
By: T'Bonz on Jul 2

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade "Unworthy"
Excellent 46 42.20%
Above Average 46 42.20%
Average 12 11.01%
Below Average 2 1.83%
Poor 3 2.75%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4 2010, 01:45 AM   #196
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: Unworthy - Discuss/Grade Thread <SPOILERS>

Any tidbits you can give us about any upcoming book or the direction you want to take the series?

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 04:48 AM   #197
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

Apropos of nothing, that one helluva cute baby, Kirsten.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 02:10 AM   #198
brcarthey
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to brcarthey Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to brcarthey

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Any tidbits you can give us about any upcoming book or the direction you want to take the series?
i've dug these two books so much that i'm eagerly awaiting the next installment. hopefully, pocket will allow KB to continue the story.
Old February 6 2010, 04:05 AM   #199
Christopher
Writer

^Why do people keep assuming that the VGR series is permanently Kirsten's from now on? Sure, it started out as a single-author series, but the fact that they changed authors should pretty much prove that's no longer the case. Kirsten was signed up for two novels, and it was Marco Palmieri's intention (back when he was in charge of it) that it would be a multi-author series thereafter. Of course, there's a new editor in charge now, but there's no reason to assume the VGR series won't be open to other authors.

Of course I'd be happy to see Kirsten revisit VGR again, but I'd also like to see others (like, ohh, maybe me) get the chance.
Old February 6 2010, 09:50 PM   #200
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I guess I hadn't realized that others would contribute now as well. I for one would love to see what our other staple Trek authors could bring to this new story. And you are very near the top of that list, as far as I'm concerned Christopher.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 11:22 PM   #201
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I love what Kirsten's done with Voyager, and I really hope we get see more Voyager stories from her. That said, I'd be happy to see some of the others tackle it as well.
Old February 7 2010, 05:59 AM   #202
brcarthey
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to brcarthey Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to brcarthey

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Why do people keep assuming that the VGR series is permanently Kirsten's from now on? Sure, it started out as a single-author series, but the fact that they changed authors should pretty much prove that's no longer the case. Kirsten was signed up for two novels, and it was Marco Palmieri's intention (back when he was in charge of it) that it would be a multi-author series thereafter. Of course, there's a new editor in charge now, but there's no reason to assume the VGR series won't be open to other authors.

Of course I'd be happy to see Kirsten revisit VGR again, but I'd also like to see others (like, ohh, maybe me) get the chance.
not sure if you were addressing me directly, but i don't believe i've ever given the impression that i believe she's the new permanent VOY scribe. i have just really enjoyed her three contributions to the VOY story line and would like to see her contribute more. that's all i meant. if others want to contribute, by all means, contribute away. i'd look forward to reading them as well.
Old February 8 2010, 05:58 AM   #203
Kirsten Beyer
Writer

Sadly, no. Not that I don't have thoughts...just none that can be shared at this point. As Christopher rightly said, there's no indication now of which I'm aware as to who will be taking the story forward from this point.

seigezunt wrote: View Post
Apropos of nothing, that one helluva cute baby, Kirsten.
Many thanks!

Best,
Kirsten
Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2010, 08:09 PM   #204
kaysea
Ensign

I just finished it and gave it an above average, but it didn't feel "complete" to me. Maybe there's more novels to come? I don't know. It felt more episodic to me but I should have expected that from a star trek novel, which is my biggest gripe about these novels. They leave you wanting to read more, to "finish what you've started", yet you have to wait months maybe years if at all to continue the story. With that said this book was an enjoyable read. Here's what I liked/disliked about this book;

- I liked how they included most of the old cast in some form in there so we got to see how they were. Ichep and Naomi going into starfleet academy, Neelix. They should've put more Tuvok.

- I love how a fleet is going back instead of one to the delta quadrant, brilliant idea. This is what attracted me to the novel in the first place. But they shouldn't have had to be separated. One third going off to who knows where I have no clue and another third setting comm. buoys which I understand. The ship interaction of more than just one crew was interesting.

- I didn't care for the whole seven identity crisis identity thing and glossed over most of it. I'm not a big fan of her and think it was too overly and self involved.

- The whole indign thing didn't spark my interest. You could've put anything in its place and it wouldn't have mattered. Except for the whole eight thing which I still don't quite understand why its such a threat and why it was left open for a spot in the future of the star trek universe. In fact I think it has no place in the future and shouldn't show up in future novels.

- How did Admiral Batiste rise to the rank of admiral so quickly when species 8472 was only introduced to starfleet in what 10 years ago at most?

- I would have loved to read more on the Hawking and its Vulcan captain. I always loved seeing and reading how Vulcans interact with other species. There should be more vulcans in starfleet. (PERHAPS SOMEONE CAN DIRECT ME TO A NOVEL ABOUT VULCANS AND STARFLEET sorry for the caps but I've been wanting to read something on them for sometime)

- I would have enjoyed the novel more if the all the ships of the fleet were directly related to the story. Maybe showing the perspective of each third of the fleet? Perhaps coming together to solve a major problem. Maybe in future novels I can only ope.
kaysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 01:12 AM   #205
JD
Admiral

kaysea wrote: View Post

- I liked how they included most of the old cast in some form in there so we got to see how they were. Ichep and Naomi going into starfleet academy, Neelix. They should've put more Tuvok.

- I love how a fleet is going back instead of one to the delta quadrant, brilliant idea. This is what attracted me to the novel in the first place. But they shouldn't have had to be separated. One third going off to who knows where I have no clue and another third setting comm. buoys which I understand. The ship interaction of more than just one crew was interesting.
Personally, I'm actually glad that they left Tuvok to Titan. I can see it getting annoying if they decided they had to try to force Tuvok into the Voyager books too.

I do agree about the fleet being split up though. I was really looking forward to seeing the whole fleet so I was disappointed when they decided to focus on such a small group. I'm hoping we'll get to see more of the other ships in future books in the series.
Old March 7 2010, 06:22 AM   #206
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

i wonder if the "real" Batiste had been replaced at some point.
Old March 9 2010, 02:28 AM   #207
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

That would make the most sense...
Old March 9 2010, 03:36 AM   #208
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

I have never been a big Voyager fan, but both Full Circle and Unworthy were fantastic.

Actually has me looking forward to the next book.

Voyager (and Enterprise) used to be the serieses I didn't bother buying. I bought the first 2 relaunch books and they were pretty good, but this re-relaunch is much better. I like that they took Janeway's untimely death (which was LAME) and actually made it meaningful, had all of the characters react to it. In the TNG novel where she died, it was like "Ok an EXTREMELY main character died and apparently no one really cares."

Anyhow, looking forward to more Voyager re-relaunch novels.
Old March 13 2010, 09:07 AM   #209
Kirsten Beyer
Writer

I'm now officially able to tell you that my answer has changed...not about the tidbits (sorry) but about an upcoming book. I have been asked to carry the story forward in a new novel - as of yet untitled - for release in 2011.
Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2010, 09:18 AM   #210
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Fantastic news! Congratulations! I already can't wait to read it.
Thrawn is online now   Reply With Quote