Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old March 4 2010, 07:30 PM   #376
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Fitness Checkin

Eh, there are plenty of ways to fake it. I used to fill my backpack with heavy textbooks and use it as a dumbbell.
Old March 5 2010, 09:50 AM   #377
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

^ Good method. I've done similar things - I still use a chair set up (or bench/bed combo) if I do dips and used to put bottles of water in place of weights when I couldn't afford to buy more.

I'd say though that having my own equiptment saved me a lot of money on a gym membership over the years. I've been signed up to two gyms (on corporate memberships - I hate paying the extreme prices which is why I've avoided) and with the kind of workout I prefer - a bench and some free weghts does me fine.
Old March 6 2010, 10:03 PM   #378
RoJoHen
Awesome

I can't wait until I finally find a home to settle in for a while so I can set up a weight room. Right now I move too frequently, and moving tons of exercise equipment would just be a huge pain in the ass.

In other news, my recent chest workouts have been absolutely insane. I've been alternating between presses, flies, and cable work, basically doing tons of supersets. I get done in about a half hour because I'm moving so fast, and my chest is definitely seeing results.
Old March 11 2010, 03:28 AM   #379
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

Do you have plans to buy a house or rent an apartment long-term? It would be a torture to have to move all your workout equipment.
Old March 11 2010, 03:31 AM   #380
RoJoHen
Awesome

Not anytime soon, which is why I'm holding off buying anything.
Old March 11 2010, 10:25 AM   #381
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

I have moved around a lot and moving my equipment has been a trial every time. Especially as I don't drive. Last time I carried 110k of weights (not all in one bulk) and eventually gave in and hired a van to move the bench and all the big stuff over.

I'm going back on my beloved 5x5 workout on Friday. I got great results last time, so after warming myself up and getting used to working out heavily again in the past couple of months... time to move on.

May take up an offer of a consultation with our companies personal trainer too. Just for nutrition as I've always done it my way... which has had mixed results.
Old March 12 2010, 06:53 AM   #382
RoJoHen
Awesome

I love how sexy my ass looks after a good leg workout.

Is that weird?
Old March 13 2010, 04:26 AM   #383
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I love how sexy my ass looks after a good leg workout.

Is that weird?
Buns of steel! Bah, this thread is worthless without pics.
Old March 13 2010, 05:16 AM   #384
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, it's been a day since my workout, so my ass is a little deflated.

I neglected my legs for such a long time that I'm kind of top-heavy. I'm trying to bulk up my lower body so I look more even.
Old March 13 2010, 08:46 AM   #385
Jax
Admiral

I want to fit in some nice new tight clothes so started excercise yesterday just brief go on this walker gravity machine thingy Today since the UK has chucked out the snowy weather and the sun returns from his hoilday, Time to play tennis again

oh and I will cut off my arms if they go near junk food...Actually good time to start since this week I did 4 x 45 minutes walks.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2010, 08:54 AM   #386
RoJoHen
Awesome

Jax wrote: View Post

oh and I will cut off my arms if they go near junk food...
Nice. You wanna cut mine off? I've been eating an absurd amount of Oreos the last few days.
Old March 14 2010, 12:56 AM   #387
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Finally got my act together and started running again this week. Decided that I wanted to go run on the trails today and it ended up being pretty... interesting. I was hoping to get 10+ miles in, but only got 6. The trails haven't thawed out as much as I was hoping they would yet, so most of what I was doing was a trudge rather than a run, including thigh-deep sections. I ended up losing the trail pretty regularly, and towards the end I was almost completely lost. By the time I made it back to a point where I could either quit or add additional trails on, I was so exhausted and cutting my "Panic if I don't check in by now" deadline so close that I just called it good. I think I'm going to pass out now.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2010, 11:42 AM   #388
jamestyler
Commodore

I neglected my legs for such a long time that I'm kind of top-heavy. I'm trying to bulk up my lower body so I look more even.
I'm exactly the same... always have been. My knees are in terrible shape so I get a little lazy with them as it can be incredibly painful. It results in test shots of me where I have to cut off at the waist.

Horribly mismatched.

Hoping forcing myself to do heavy squats as part of my new routine (about the only thing can do) will help with that.

Jax wrote: View Post
oh and I will cut off my arms if they go near junk food...Actually good time to start since this week I did 4 x 45 minutes walks.
I always cheat with that. I have a good diet (well, usually) but always reserve Sundays to eat whatever I like. I don't go overboard, but I'll give myself one or two treats to reward myself from staying away at the rest of the weekend.

I was surprised that worked while losing weight just as well as it did while bulking up.

Next week I'm going to have to really push myself to get my diet back on track - I usually supplement with high-carb snacks and some un-tasty shakes. I want to put on at least 15lbs to get me back to 200 before I go back to 230-ish.

Just have to be careful not to do what I did last time.
Old March 14 2010, 11:54 AM   #389
RoJoHen
Awesome

jamestyler wrote: View Post
I'm exactly the same... always have been. My knees are in terrible shape so I get a little lazy with them as it can be incredibly painful. It results in test shots of me where I have to cut off at the waist.

Horribly mismatched.

Hoping forcing myself to do heavy squats as part of my new routine (about the only thing can do) will help with that.
It doesn't help that my legs are insanely long compared to my torso, so even when they do have a bit of bulk to them, they still look really skinny. It's one of the reasons I've been trying to do more cardio. I'm hoping if I can shrink down my waste it'll make my legs look less thin.
Old March 14 2010, 03:38 PM   #390
Jax
Admiral

Played Tennis on saturday for 90 mins but that does not include 2 x 45 minute walks to next town because they have actual courts. Today went to ASDA George for some clothes so thats was 3 hour on my feet.

Food been ok so far I had 1 packet of crisp so I could have a crisp sandwich for tea so A LOT LESS junk food than normal. I actually lost 4 pounds this week and I set myself target of 1 stone b4 my b/day in 9 week so migth have to increaae target.

Got a gaming weekend in 2 weeks so that will be tough cause normally a little junk food with takeaway so might still have some but cutdown and just up any excerise for that week to compensate.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote