Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 7 2010, 06:22 AM   #16
Harvey
Admiral

Re: The latest "Alien" prequel rumours - Scott directing, in 3-D?

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
But the exhibitors don't make the money.
Um...what? Of course the exhibitors make the money. And no doubt the cost of outfitting 3-D theatres is quickly paid for by their cut of ticket sales (which is different for every film, but it's safe to estimate the average at 50%).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 06:27 AM   #17
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

They make some of it. Perhaps more to the point, exhibitors without 3D capability don't make any of the money that's going to competitors who are showing blockbuster movies in 3D.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 02:53 PM   #18
byron lomax
Commander

I'd be interested to see another Alien film, if they would give it to an interesting director who might do something worthwhile with the franchise.

But why a prequel? The more encounters with aliens that came before the Nostromo, the more messed up the continuity becomes. Can't any interesting stories be told after the initial encounters by Ripley and co? I'd like to see the alien home planet.
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 04:59 PM   #19
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Yeah, when I saw all the 3-D previews for upcoming films when I saw Avatar I figured the writing was on the wall. And with that film still being in the top 10 I don't think the studios want to take a chance that it wasn't a factor in its success.
All the previews for 3D movies? When I saw Avatar there was only one 3D preview and that was Shrek 4.

Dennis wrote: View Post
They make some of it. Perhaps more to the point, exhibitors without 3D capability don't make any of the money that's going to competitors who are showing blockbuster movies in 3D.

That is very true.
Old March 7 2010, 06:17 PM   #20
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

There were two 3D previews with Avatar when I saw it - Alice and Despicable Me.

Add that to Clash Of The Titans, Toy Story 3D and the aforementioned Shrek 4 and you see just the beginning of the wave.
Old March 7 2010, 06:43 PM   #21
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ Plus Harry Potter
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 07:25 PM   #22
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: 3D

Dennis wrote: View Post
t's also important to the studios that in order to show modern 3-D films exhibitors have to upgrade their projection equipment in such a way that movies can be distributed digitally rather than on film.
Yes it was a slow start but even now in Europe deals are being made this week to get cinemas converted to digital 3D projection.

I suggested last month to possibly shoot the pilot for the next Star Trek TV series in 3D high definition and screen it at the cinema in 3D say a month before the series premieres as a promotional campaign. The rest of the series would be in shot 2D but it's an idea of how pilots can be made into limited screening events as any 3D digital cinema can play it and charge admission.

Sure the next Alien film should be shot in 3D it only adds to the illusion of science fiction set on a spaceship in outer space.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 08:58 PM   #23
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I don't understand the complaining about 3D. Its going to be a long, long time before every screening in every theater is 3D. I doubt that will ever completely happen. Right now my theater has Alice in 2D and 3D. If you don't like 3D don't watch the movies that way. Its simple!
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2010, 09:50 PM   #24
Harvey
Admiral

For now it's simple. You can bet that for the big tentpole features, more and more screenings will be in 3-D. The money is just too good to pass up. But it will be a long time, if ever, before independent cinema starts using 3-D, or even smaller studio pictures.

We'll see how things stand in five or ten years, though...

Old March 7 2010, 10:27 PM   #25
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It may be a long while before independents and low-budget movies are recorded in or converted to 3D, but for both simplicity and economy's sake they will be distributed digitally rather than on film within a few years. Traditional film projection equipment will remain in one or two auditoriums of a few large multiplexes, in second-run and "art houses."
Old March 7 2010, 10:40 PM   #26
Harvey
Admiral

Absolutely. Many independent films are shooting on digital already, so exhibiting in the format just makes it easier. Of course, I prefer celluloid, but what can you do?

Old March 8 2010, 12:15 AM   #27
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I prefer good movies and don't care what they are filmed on.
Old March 9 2010, 04:37 AM   #28
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Sometimes I like 3-D but sometimes I don't. Avatar was awesome in 3-D and I can't imagine watching it in any other format. Meet the Robinsons & Toy Story were wastes of time in 3-D. I'm going to steer away from Alice in Wonderland in 3-D for a couple reasons. First, I'm not comfortable letting Tim Burton's imagination get that close to me. He's a genius but I don't think his brain is very sanitary. Second, I've been told that Alice herself was never shot in 3-D, simply upscaled into 3-D.

I have no problem with movies that are shot in 3-D but movies that were shot in 2-D and then converted into 3-D feel like a cheap gimmick.
Old March 10 2010, 07:54 PM   #29
Teelie
Vice Admiral

byron lomax wrote: View Post
I'd be interested to see another Alien film, if they would give it to an interesting director who might do something worthwhile with the franchise.

But why a prequel? The more encounters with aliens that came before the Nostromo, the more messed up the continuity becomes. Can't any interesting stories be told after the initial encounters by Ripley and co? I'd like to see the alien home planet.
Not that it will ever matter (for the movies' continuity) but the latest AVP game has an ending that reveals the Weyland-Yutani Corporation discovers what is presumably the Alien homeworld. It's set in the future after Alien 3, and not disturb continuity for Resurrection if you wanted to preserve that.

There was also a few books that the homeworld was thought discovered but either turned out to be a massive infestation or something else. Fox wanted to keep the "mystique" of their origins a secret so the true answer was never known.

I wouldn't mind seeing something that takes place in the future as opposed to another prequel but in this case we've got Ridley Scott on board so at least there's that much.
Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2010, 11:08 PM   #30
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

"Alien" prequel rumours

the prequel takes place about 30 years before the first movie, in 2085. Weyland-Yutani doesn't exist yet, but Weyland, pre-merger, does. And it's very much in the terraforming business. Adds Scott:

It's fundamentally about going out to find out 'Who the hell was that Space Jockey?' The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle - there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer's chair. Remember that? And our man [Tom Skerritt as Captain Dallas] climbs up and says "There's been an explosion in his chest from the inside out - what was that?" I'm basically explaining who that Space Jockey - we call him the Space Jockey - I'm explaining who the space jockeys were.
SOURCE via
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote