Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 22 2010, 05:21 PM   #31
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Re: Who Could Carry Their Own Series?

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
Could even Patrick Stewart "carry" a ST series? Did he carry TNG?
For several years, yeah he did. Maybe more than that...
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 05:23 PM   #32
Withers
Captain

View Withers's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Withers Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Withers

But the writing and production would need to be good right out of the gate.
I think that is a really important point- regardless of what they make the show about, if Trek ever gets another shot at a series, the first few seasons cannot be shaky or it simply won't last. Television series don't get that "trial period" of a few seasons anymore. It has to be good out of the gate or they just yank it (the list of examples is longer than my arm.) In thinking about that I wonder if some of the series would've made it if the exact same shows were made today.

-Withers-
Withers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 02:45 AM   #33
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander

Withers wrote: View Post
I think that is a really important point- regardless of what they make the show about, if Trek ever gets another shot at a series, the first few seasons cannot be shaky or it simply won't last.

That's primarily why I'd favor the Riker/Titan angle.

The writers could build on proven characters that are already familiar to the audience. Now, there would be no way to group together everyone's most favorite 3-5 characters but the chances of having several dud characters (no need to get ugly -- you know who they are ) really plummet.

Throw in a cool new ship and a handful of diverse new characters and it could sustain a large audience.

That would also leave the writing team more time and energy to focus on hammering out a good setting and direction for the show. You're right...there just couldn't be two or three seasons for the show to "find itself." It would need to hit the ground running, and that would be easier to do with a few familiar faces.

obviously its all hypothetical, but the ingredients would be right for a dedicated audience if they made it immediately comfortable and interesting imo
M-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 03:50 AM   #34
USS Triumphant
Commodore

Geordi, and he already did. It was called Reading Rainbow, and there was no difference between the character he played there and Geordi. Including the amount of action he was getting.

Barclay, and he already did, during the last few seasons of Voyager. Cause that show was freakin' USELESS without the Barclay episodes.

crouteru wrote: View Post
Wesley Crusher in a Starfleet Acadamy series, also starring The Traveller from Tau Alpha C.
Wesley, going from place to place solving problems in the shirt he wore during Season One, with The Traveller, and a chimp. Now there's a concept we can't get enough of - a man-child, his alien pedophile, and his monkey.

Old February 23 2010, 04:53 AM   #35
Mirror_Barclay
Lieutenant Commander

I'm not too big a fan of Riker or Troi, so I'm not sold on the Titan plan.

Certainly, using characters from the previous shows might be cool. We'd see new sides of some familiar characters (ten or so years older, more experienced and senior) and how they relate with people new to them, and probably about half the cast new to us.

I'd definitely want Ezri included in that. The EMH from Voyager (possibly a different EMH).
Mirror_Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2010, 06:04 AM   #36
John200
Lieutenant Commander

Worf ,in a series set strictly in the Klingon Empire.

Enough with the human perspective.
John200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 03:48 AM   #37
indolover
Fleet Captain

it would be real cool if they did yearly mini-series, featuring the TNG cast, as well as the recurring characters like Q, Guinan, Alexander, Barclay, Martok (well we had Gowron in the show, and obviously now Martok is Chancellor), etc. I'm sure John de Lancie, Whoopi Goldberg, Dwight Schulz, J.G. Hertzler et al would be up for it. Even bring back Brian Bonsall as Alexander, since both the actor and the character would be men now.

They could even bring in characters from other series. Sisko coming to terms with Wolf 359 with Picard would be good (if he still had resentment after all those years). We could have Admiral Janeway, Tuvok, 7 of 9, Bashir, Dax (to see how she and Worf interact), etc.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 06:02 AM   #38
Withers
Captain

View Withers's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Withers Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Withers

We are familiar with Riker and Troi because we're Trekkies. That show has been off the air for almost two decades now and there hasn't been a blockbuster movie featuring Riker since First Contact. I think it would be in dispute just how well the "recognizably" card would play. If they wrote him as though everyone knew exactly who he was the show would probably only appeal to Trekkies. If they wrote him as though it needed to be explained who he was it would seemingly defeat the purpose of having a show featuring that character as a Captain in the first place.

Wesley, going from place to place solving problems in the shirt he wore during Season One, with The Traveller, and a chimp. Now there's a concept we can't get enough of - a man-child, his alien pedophile, and his monkey.
Haven't laughed so hard in a while.

-Withers-
Withers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 06:59 AM   #39
Diddle
Lieutenant Commander

None of them. Well, maybe, maybe Worf, but if he were more like what he was in DS9.

Diddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2010, 01:20 PM   #40
maneth
Captain

None of them. A new series set at least 20 years post-Nemesis, with perhaps an appearance by Admiral Riker and Admiral Janeway every now and again, as a reward for faithful watchers of other Trek shows.

The Federation should have access to transwarp technology, with the ability to visit the delta and gamma quadrants easily, without resorting to wormholes. A new ship, a new crew, new adventures in the post-Borg delta quadrant and the post-Dominion gamma quadrant.
Old February 24 2010, 01:38 PM   #41
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

An Indiana Jones-like spinoff starring Picard as an interstellar adventurer and archeologist. Co-Starring: Vash and a hologram of Professor Galen. Recurring: Q.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2010, 11:13 AM   #42
Mojochi
Fleet Captain

Q
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2010, 11:55 PM   #43
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Of the regulars, Data. He's sufficiently interesting and Spiner's good enough to make it work. It'd probably be awful, but it could work, and he's surely the most widely known character apart from Picard.

Of the recurring characters, Ro could totally do it.
Pemmer Harge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2010, 02:20 AM   #44
USS Triumphant
Commodore

I'm certain that Captain Morgan Bateson could carry his own series, especially if it took a lighter, almost comical tone, and they let Grammer have some creative control. Maybe get some of the writers from Galaxy Quest and Big Bang Theory working on some of the scripts, too. Not a sitcom. More of a dramedy.
Old March 10 2010, 02:41 AM   #45
Lor'Vela
Captain

^ Speaking of one-off characters, what about Captain Jellico? I'm sure that could make out for an interesting series.