Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 18 2010, 05:21 AM   #226
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
I just turned 42 yesterday (the 16th) and I'll be going to see Avatar again for the 3rd time at the Coliseum 10-A in Mississauga (near Toronto) as well as take in some video game playing at the nearby Playdium arcade this weekend. Anything else worth seeing that I'll go and see? I'm not too sure, I'll have to check.
I was at the Mississauga Coliseum yesterday (BTW, what does "10-A" mean? 10 screens? If so, then, just to be nitpicky, I'd like to point out that there are actually 12, not including the IMAX ). I was there with my dad; he hasn't seen Avatar yet, so I was going to take him to see it on the IMAX (only way to go with this film!) Alas, they were sold out, so I guess we'll have to try again within the next week or two.

We went to see The Wolfman instead. I was rather underwhelmed; it's not terrible, but the whole thing just felt kind of "meh" to me... very average, not to mention (as a remake) unnecessary. I'm not really planning to watch it again anytime in the near future.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2010, 05:51 AM   #227
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Daneel wrote: View Post
Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
I just turned 42 yesterday (the 16th) and I'll be going to see Avatar again for the 3rd time at the Coliseum 10-A in Mississauga (near Toronto) as well as take in some video game playing at the nearby Playdium arcade this weekend. Anything else worth seeing that I'll go and see? I'm not too sure, I'll have to check.
I was at the Mississauga Coliseum yesterday (BTW, what does "10-A" mean? 10 screens? If so, then, just to be nitpicky, I'd like to point out that there are actually 12, not including the IMAX ). I was there with my dad; he hasn't seen Avatar yet, so I was going to take him to see it on the IMAX (only way to go with this film!) Alas, they were sold out, so I guess we'll have to try again within the next week or two.

We went to see The Wolfman instead. I was rather underwhelmed; it's not terrible, but the whole thing just felt kind of "meh" to me... very average, not to mention (as a remake) unnecessary. I'm not really planning to watch it again anytime in the near future.
The 10-A designation is used because there are two theaters named Coliseum (the one I call 10-A is the original Mississauga theater; 10-B is the Scarborough one).

If you want to see Avatar in IMAX 3D, go to the Scotiabank Theater in downtown Toronto-you might have better luck seeing it there.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 05:38 PM   #228
LitmusDragon
Commodore

District 9 - A
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - B+
The Wrestler - B
V for Vendetta - C+
Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone - C
Corpse Bride - C
Battlefield Earth - F
There Will Be Blood - A
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - B
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - B
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - A
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - B-
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - B
Faust (1994) - A
Night on Earth - B
Schizopolis - B-
The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes - B
Primer - B
Ryan (2005) - B
Lost Highway - C+

Ryan is a computer animated short-form documentary (2005 Academy Award winner) about the burned-out animator Ryan Larkin who made some influential animations in the late 60s - early 70s. The short itself is brilliant, as are the original films of Ryan Larkin himself which are also included on the disc. The documentary about the making of the short-form documentary which is also included, is also very good. Excellent DVD with a wealth of material. Of interest to documentary fans, and animation fans. B

Lost Highway - The first Lynch film I've seen aside from his two most iconic films Blue Velvet and Eraserhead (well, Elephant Man too I guess, but still haven't seen that one). Obviously not as innovative or as brilliant as either of those films. The first 45 minutes or so are very good but then after the lead gets transmogrified or whatever happens we are treated to some of the most hackneyed mob stuff I've ever seen put to film (and I've seen a lot of mob films!). The most interesting part of the film is the role of the mysterious stranger- ghost, devil, warlock? Who knows? Pretty good film when it moves towards the strange, boring when it doesn't. PS- I think there's at least a half hour of Bill Pullman looking intensely off into the distance in this film. C+

Last edited by LitmusDragon; February 19 2010 at 07:06 PM.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2010, 09:09 PM   #229
Harvey
Admiral

Sherlock Holmes [B-]
Men in Black [A]
Up in the Air [A]
Star Trek: The Motion Picture [D+]
I'm Not There [A]
Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (2009) [D-]
American Violet [B ]
Inglourious Basterds [A]
Death at a Funeral [B ]
A Serious Man [A]
The Hurt Locker [A-]
Mad Max 2 (AKA The Road Warrior) [C]
The Book of Eli [C-]
Elegy [B+]
Close Encounters of the Third Kind [A]
The Invention of Lying [B-]
Gamer [C]
Timecrimes [A]
Metropolis [A]
Pandorum [B ]
Raiders of the Lost Ark [A]
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade [A]
Moon [A]
Fun with Dick and Jane [C]
Sunshine [C]
Stanley Kubrick's The Killing [B+]
Ernest Hemingway's The Killers (1964) [A-]
Ernest Hemingway's The Killers (1946) [B+]
Glengarry Glen Ross [B-]
Gattaca [A]
The Big Chill [B]
The Producers [A]
Rent [C+]
Blade Runner [A]
My Cousin Vinny [B-]
Zombieland [ B]
Infernal Affairs [A]
The Walker [F]

It's pretty clear from the short, three-minute making-of fluff piece included on this disc that the actors in this picture got involved because of Paul Schrader's past work, not because of Schrader's script to this film. Because it is a dull and lifeless one. Set in the world of Washington politics, these politics are so vague, save for the occasional anecdote that seems like it was lifted from a trivia book, that they ring absolutely false.

The Walker also suffers from a conventional and ultimately boring look (complete with a lot of flat images and cheap-looking production design that has no place in a film with a cast like this), with a couple of flourishes that elicit laughter instead of joy because they are so out of place. Most of the dialogue feels very written, and unreal. The best thing about it all might have been Woody Harrelson's aggresively one-note performance, but in the end even it is too much for this viewer to handle.

I have no qualms about issuing an F-grade to this film.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 02:31 AM   #230
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I've seen Piano Tuner of Earthquakes three times and I still can't really follow anything. Most of the dialogue is very difficult to hear, and even with subtitles on I still can't follow it. Very creepy film, though.
Old February 20 2010, 03:23 AM   #231
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates:
Armored Trooper Votoms: Big Battle (7)
Armored Trooper Votoms: Roots of Ambition (8)
Armored Trooper Votoms: The Last Red Shoulder (8)
Boondock Saints (10)
The Book of Eli (8)
Cencoroll (8)
District 9 (8)
The Edge of Darkness (9)
G-9 (6)
Inglorious Bastards (7)
Law Abiding Citizen (9)
Oldboy (9)
Pandorum (7)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Lagann-hen (8)
The Uninvited (7)

Last edited by zakkrusz; February 20 2010 at 05:30 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2010, 07:52 PM   #232
opali
Captain

Shutter Island.

The popcorn was good.
Old February 21 2010, 02:14 AM   #233
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Avator
The Blind Side

on DVD:
2009 STAR TREK {J.J. Abrams}
STAR TREK NEMESIS
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2010, 02:18 AM   #234
DarKush
Rear Admiral

2010 movies seen in theater:

Daybreakers
Youth in Revolt
Book of Eli
Legion
Wolfman
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2010, 06:58 AM   #235
Harvey
Admiral

Sherlock Holmes [B-]
Men in Black [A]
Up in the Air [A]
Star Trek: The Motion Picture [D+]
I'm Not There [A]
Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (2009) [D-]
American Violet [B ]
Inglourious Basterds [A]
Death at a Funeral [B ]
A Serious Man [A]
The Hurt Locker [A-]
Mad Max 2 (AKA The Road Warrior) [C]
The Book of Eli [C-]
Elegy [B+]
Close Encounters of the Third Kind [A]
The Invention of Lying [B-]
Gamer [C]
Timecrimes [A]
Metropolis [A]
Pandorum [B ]
Raiders of the Lost Ark [A]
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade [A]
Moon [A]
Fun with Dick and Jane [C]
Sunshine [C]
Stanley Kubrick's The Killing [B+]
Ernest Hemingway's The Killers (1964) [A-]
Ernest Hemingway's The Killers (1946) [B+]
Glengarry Glen Ross [B-]
Gattaca [A]
The Big Chill [B]
The Producers [A]
Rent [C+]
Blade Runner [A]
My Cousin Vinny [B-]
Zombieland [ B]
Infernal Affairs [A]
The Walker [F]
Starship Troopers [A]

I have a hard time understanding how the film's satirical tones were lost to anyone when this film was released, but, apparently, they were. When Doogie Howser shows up in an SS uniform, for example, it's not exactly subtle. This is the second time I've seen the film, and I liked it even more with a second viewing. But I imagine the infidelity to Heinlein, the camp, the soap opera, and all the rest are positively maddening if you don't get what the film is trying to do. And I suppose the flurry of kid friendly toys upon release might have had something to do with audiences having trouble with the film.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2010, 06:03 PM   #236
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Theatre:

Precious [A-]
Invictus [ B]
A Single Man [B-]
Crazy Heart [A-]
A Serious Man [A-]

DVD:

Adventureland [B+]
Samaritan Girl [C+]
3-Iron [A]
The Hurt Locker [A-]
Citizen Kane [A]
Planet Hulk [B+]
High Society [B-]
The Philadelphia Story [A-]
The Pianist [A-]
Murder By Decree [A-]
A Man For All Seasons [B+]
A Patch of Blue [B+]
Broadway Danny Rose [B+]
The Departed [A]
The Purple Rose of Cairo [B+]
Zelig [B ]
Radio Days [B ]
Hannah and Her Sisters [B+]

One of Woody Allen's most acclaimed movies (and the source of one of his three Oscars, the other two being for Annie Hall), this is another of his relationship dramas, with this one being about how Mia Farrow's significant other is cheating on her with a member of her family (I suppose it's lucky that Allen didn't opt for the Michael Caine role here or the irony would probably sink the film). There's a ton of familiar faces (or voices) here in minor roles, including Julie Kavner, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, The Daily Show's Lewis Black, and Sam Waterson. There are a few different plots going here, though, for most of it, Allen's own character's seems really unconnected to everything else, though it comes together in the end. It's a good, quiet drama; I don't know if I thought it was noticeably better than Purple Rose of Cairo or Broadway Danny Rose, though it's got considerably more acclaim than either of those. The conclusion is a somewhat odd contrast with Purple Rose, where Woody is snapped out of his nihilism by a Marx Brothers movie (the ending of this one being altogether more genial).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 05:02 AM   #237
SlyCardie
Commander

Just got around to seeing Doubt (fiiinally) Really really liked it, I'd say a strong B+. Great performances from everyone in the cast and the bigger issue that was hinted at through Streep vs. Hoffman of the changing ways that the church was engaging people was very well executed
SlyCardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 06:05 AM   #238
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Theatre:

Precious [A-]
Invictus [ B]
A Single Man [B-]
Crazy Heart [A-]
A Serious Man [A-]

DVD:

Adventureland [B+]
Samaritan Girl [C+]
3-Iron [A]
The Hurt Locker [A-]
Citizen Kane [A]
Planet Hulk [B+]
High Society [B-]
The Philadelphia Story [A-]
The Pianist [A-]
Murder By Decree [A-]
A Man For All Seasons [B+]
A Patch of Blue [B+]
Broadway Danny Rose [B+]
The Departed [A]
The Purple Rose of Cairo [B+]
Zelig [B ]
Radio Days [B ]
Hannah and Her Sisters [B+]
Gone Baby Gone [A+]

Damn, Ben, I would never have guessed. Why did you waste years making mediocre blockbusters when you could have been doing films like this? On the surface you might take this for a bigscreen procedural, but it turns into a magnificent neo-noir (one that I would rank above The Departed). You've got your private investigators, tension with the cops, and more then a modicum of trouble; and, in the end, the lead has to do what he thinks is right, even if that leaves him walking alone. Great performances all around, and the film is interestingly structured (halfway through there's what for most movies would be the wrapup, but that's just the jumpoff). It's also, for something that's superficially a thriller, not overly concerned with laying out all the clues prior to the character solving it (though most of the big stuff is there), but I don't think that's important. This makes me really excited for Affleck's 2010 picture.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 06:25 PM   #239
LitmusDragon
Commodore

District 9 - A
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - B+
The Wrestler - B
V for Vendetta - C+
Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone - C
Corpse Bride - C
Battlefield Earth - F
There Will Be Blood - A
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - B
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - B
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - A
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - B-
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - B
Faust (1994) - A
Night on Earth - B
Schizopolis - B-
The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes - B
Primer - B
Ryan (2005) - B
Lost Highway - C+
The Seventh Seal (1957) - A
Metropolis (1927) - A

The Seventh Seal - First, a review of the Blu-ray transfer. This film looks amazing. Detail and contrast is so vivid that the characters seems to pop right out of the screen. If you're curious how good a B&W movie can look on Blu-ray, this would be a good film to watch. Second, the actual review- I picked this movie up from googling "Criterion" to see what popped up on Amazon.com, and picked the title that sounded the most interesting to me. Prior to that I'd never heard of it (obviously I'm not much of a film historian). A knight returns from the crusades to find his people dying from the plague and challenges Death to a chess match while seeking answers to questions of the eternal. You've no doubt seen the chess match parodied before even if you haven't heard of this movie. Brilliantly acted, beautifully shot, and poses some interesting questions. As good as it's reputation. A

Metropolis - What can you say about a 80 year old science-fiction movie? In the context of modern films, really, a lot of better stuff has been made since then. Taken in context, it's absolutely amazing. Some of the visual effects and in particular the art direction in this movie can still impress after all this time. A
Old February 22 2010, 08:48 PM   #240
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

In the Theater:
Shutter Island

On DVD:
I Love You, Man
Watchmen
(500) Days of Summer
Monsters vs Aliens
The Ugly Truth
District 9
Paper Heart

The best of the bunch, so far? (500) Days of Summer. I enjoyed it so much I bought it on DVD.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote