Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 11 2010, 09:44 PM   #16
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Re: Chris Meloni leaving L&O: SVU?

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
I know Wolf likes to think that his Law & Order shows are machines that you can simply plop any cog (actor) into and make it go, but SVU has really been as much about Benson and Stabler as it is about the various cases they tackle. If either Meloni or Hargitay leave, I'd rather see the show end than try and pair one of them up with another actor, or bring in a new pair of detectives.
I agree the show would not be the same if either one of them left. I don't think I would watch the show unless it was a repeat.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2010, 02:13 AM   #17
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

I miss when they threw Munch a bone every now and again. The Stabler and Benson storylines got stale and redunant for me two years ago, and since NBC has jerked the schedule around, I haven't bothered to follow.
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 12:15 AM   #18
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
That being said, they should *already* let Munch go out in peace, since he's pretty much gone already anyway.
I liked someone's suggestion that Munch should be promoted to lieutenant and be transferred to the 27th precinct to replace Van Buren.
Old February 15 2010, 01:54 AM   #19
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Munch still needs to guest star on Criminal Intent.

Although it wouldn't be quite the same since it's not the original cast anymore.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 02:45 AM   #20
Aragorn
Admiral

Keith1701 wrote: View Post
cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
I know Wolf likes to think that his Law & Order shows are machines that you can simply plop any cog (actor) into and make it go, but SVU has really been as much about Benson and Stabler as it is about the various cases they tackle. If either Meloni or Hargitay leave, I'd rather see the show end than try and pair one of them up with another actor, or bring in a new pair of detectives.
I agree the show would not be the same if either one of them left. I don't think I would watch the show unless it was a repeat.
So how do you think CI will fare when Jeff Goldblum becomes the cast member with the most episodes logged under his belt?

When CI first started out, Vincent D'Onofrio made a point about how you knew nothing about his character. But then when it moved to USA, it was "characters welcome" and all that changed. I guess you could say Chris Noth's first season is when it all changed since his character had lots of history to go along with him.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 03:31 AM   #21
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

I'm an SVU fan, an it's the stories that draw me in.

Let me throw it out there, I'm not much of an original L&O fan...(Although, Angie Harmon, Carey Lowell, Alana de la Garza were pretty interesting...lol...and it's cool seeing Anthony Anderson in a serious role).

Anywho, if either Stabler (usually called 'Un-stabler') or Olivia were to leave, they can easily do something different. There is still Fin, there is still Munch...and, like the original L&O, they can bring new blood into the picture...

Now that Jeff Goldblum is joining the Criminal Intent cast, I'm now going to have to catch up with that show. (I never really watched the show in it's entirety).

Side-question: I came into an episode where the ADA Casey Novak portrayed by Diane Neal was being carted away in custody. What happened? (Wiki gives a light description, but if someone could elaborate).
Old February 15 2010, 04:27 AM   #22
Aragorn
Admiral

Goldblum joined the CI cast last year. And after the season premiere, he WILL BE the CI cast.

I actually only watched the Chris Noth episodes on CI.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 04:48 AM   #23
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

The only L&O show I ever bother watching anymore is SVU. The format of the L&O shows has long gone stale for me, and I mainly watch SVU for Benson & Stabler....and Munch, who has been playing the same character for so long now (I watched him long ago on Homicide: Life on the Street) that he feels almost like a long-lost relative, at this point.

I think Meloni and Hargitay are smart to make themselves a 'package deal'. The thing that makes this show the only L&O worth watching anymore is the fact that it is more about their characters as people than any previous L&O show was about it's characters.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 04:51 AM   #24
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Aragorn wrote:
I actually only watched the Chris Noth episodes on CI.
Me too. I've tried watching the D'Onofrio episodes, and Goren just annoys the shit out of me.

I'm disappointed that Eric Bogosian is leaving. Yeah, the captain is a nothing role, but I love his stage work, and it was nice to see him getting more exposure.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2010, 12:20 AM   #25
DonnyBaker
Lieutenant

So what's up with the lady that plays Van Buren? Does she really have cancer? I know alot of times they will write that into the show if the character is sick...
DonnyBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2010, 01:04 AM   #26
Winged Victory
Captain

It's sad that Meloni is leaving after next year; I hope they give him a proper send-off. And I can see this going the way of The X-Files if they give Benson a new partner...just let the show die instead.

The original flavor, the "Mothership" is still going strong...great story lines and excellent chemistry within the cast. I think once Sam Waterston decides to leave, they should call it quits. It's the only L&O I'll make a point to watch. And yes, Van Buren has been battling cancer this season; don't know how it's going to turn out for her. But I don't think S. Epatha Merkerson really has cancer, just her character on the show.