Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 9 2010, 10:54 PM   #31
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

Re: Fallout 3

Right now I am doing a second playthrough of the game, this time with the Broken Steel and Point Lookout DLC. I'm enjoying the game as much as I did the first time, if not a little more.
dragunzng wrote: View Post
I just started my 3rd playthrough (my hard drive was wiped and I lost all my data, 150 hrs worth).
That has never happened to me, but I am paranoid about it. Lately, when playing games such as FO3, I have started making occasional save game backups to my USB thumb drive.
Brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2010, 08:02 AM   #32
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

Are you playing on PC? I'm playing on PS3. There are frequent power outages (multiple times a day) and as well as power surges and drops in voltage, it really hammers electrical equipment and my PS3 has not been spared.

Right now I'm playing through vanilla FO3, I just stumbled across the Bethesda ruins, for some reason I'm not finding as much spare armor and weaponry as I did my first couple of playthroughs, which is weird since my luck is on 7, at least a point or two higher then it ever has been!
Old February 10 2010, 10:57 AM   #33
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Would that fry the HDD though? Although I guess you can't just pop that into a new PS3 because of the DRM or whatever?

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2010, 05:55 AM   #34
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

Are you playing on PC?
Yeah. Is there no way to back up saves on consoles?

Some Steam games now have a feature that automatically stores your save games, graphics settings, ect, in a Steam server. Maybe one day the Playstation Network and Xbox Live will add such a feature?
Old February 12 2010, 06:23 PM   #35
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

Brandonv wrote: View Post
Are you playing on PC?
Yeah. Is there no way to back up saves on consoles?
There is, but I'm stupid and never learn my lesson, no matter how many times I get burnt. I'm 20 hrs in now and I keep telling myself to back the save file up... but I R lazy.

I emerged from a tunnel the other day into the bright sunlight to see lasers and bullets whizzing across the screen. Upon closer inspection I found that two Brotherhood Paladin's were trying to take down a super mutant. I considered using the distraction to just run away and not get involved, but then decided to use a sneak critical attack.

After I'd taken the mutie down I ran over to the paladin's to see what was what, they thanked me and told me one of their initiates was trapped in a nearby building, would I mind helping? I love those kinds of quests, that just come along naturally as you happen to be wandering the wastes.
Old February 13 2010, 02:26 PM   #36
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

Whoops, I just lost Dogmeat. I can't say I care though, he was starting to get on my nerves, running over my mines and into the path of my grenades.
Old February 13 2010, 04:58 PM   #37
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Just get the perk that gives you infinite Dogmeat(s).

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2010, 05:07 PM   #38
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

Or just wait for Fallout 4, I'm sure he'll make his 4th consecutive series appearance there.
Old February 14 2010, 08:22 PM   #39
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Just get the perk that gives you infinite Dogmeat(s).
I'm really not missing him that much.

I just completed The Replicated Man. So weird how different experiences can be, the first two times I played that I first heard about him when I got to Rivet City, I spent like 10 hours hunting around all over the wastes for information and tapes and what have you.

This time, because my intelligence is much higher, I heard about him in Megaton, some random "Underground Railroad" type person approached me in the wastes and gave me a part, and then I turn the quest in to guy looking for him at Rivet City and that's it.

Also, I ran across something... weird in the wasteland. It was at a barn near Vault 106, late at night, as I crept up to the entrance, I noticed some raiders inside acting odd.

The four of them seemed to be having a conversation, but one of them wasn't wearing clothes (other than underwear) and he had his hands up in the air. Another was wearing what seemed to be a white BDSM outfit that barely covered his privates. Naturally I shot him first, but I really want to know what the hell was going on. At first I assumed the guy with his hands up was a captive, but it turned out he was just a nearly naked raider... I'm so confused.
Old February 17 2010, 05:37 AM   #40
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

It seems that Bethesda really beefed up the enemies in the Point Lookout expansion. The Tribal members are not wearing any armor, but some of them can withstand several point-blank double-barrel shotgun blasts to the head, from my character who has 100 small guns and 8 agility.
Old February 17 2010, 10:46 PM   #41
Anthony Sabre
Commodore

I just played this game for the first time ever, today. Everything was going well until it was time to escape from the vault. I ran into Butch and his mother was trapped with the Radroaches. I was going to help her but I couldn't figure out how. Meanwhile the quest info said that I should go back to my desk and get my things, which I did. When I walked up to Butch again he said his mother had died and I could have helped her and it was my fault. He vowed revenge or something. I didn't know what to do... so I shot him.

Sorry Butch, but as Elim Garak once said, "Always burn your bridges behind you. You never know who might be trying to follow." Picked up my first bit of bad karma with that. Not sure what to make of it.
Anthony Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2010, 06:10 AM   #42
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

Anthony Sabre wrote: View Post
I was going to help her but I couldn't figure out how.
Was it because you couldn't find her? When you get a quest, a marker will appear on your compass, showing you which direction to walk. Also, you can see the marker on your Pipboy's map.
Old February 18 2010, 07:28 AM   #43
Anthony Sabre
Commodore

Was it because you couldn't find her? When you get a quest, a marker will appear on your compass, showing you which direction to walk. Also, you can see the marker on your Pipboy's map.
Yes, that was the main reason. I figured out later that all I probably needed to do was open the door and kill the roaches. I haven't gotten this engrossed in a game in awhile. 3 hours slipped by before I realized it. I disarmed the bomb in Megaton but I killed Moriarty for trying to jerk me around about my dad. I still got the house and good karma. Then I ended up killing the towns folk in Arefu. Now on to D.C. to see what else I can learn.

Still blows me away that the game offers so many different paths to take. Never played a game quite like it.

Last edited by Anthony Sabre; February 18 2010 at 07:53 AM.
Anthony Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2010, 10:16 AM   #44
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Yes, that was the main reason. I figured out later that all I probably needed to do was open the door and kill the roaches. I haven't gotten this engrossed in a game in awhile. 3 hours slipped by before I realized it. I disarmed the bomb in Megaton but I killed Moriarty for trying to jerk me around about my dad. I still got the house and good karma. Then I ended up killing the towns folk in Arefu. Now on to D.C. to see what else I can learn.

Still blows me away that the game offers so many different paths to take. Never played a game quite like it.
After doing few main quest related things in DC (especially fixing the radio station, so that you'll have something nice to hear besides president's ramblings) you can forget about the main quest and do everything else. There are tons of stuff to do in the game besides the main quest.

Last edited by Shurik; February 18 2010 at 09:15 PM.
Shurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2010, 07:38 PM   #45
PKerr
Rear Admiral

DOH! shouldn't have done that.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote