Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 7 2010, 06:57 AM   #61
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till rele

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
If a Brit is cast as Captain America, I hope he can do a better American accent than Gerard Butler or Colin Farrell.
Well considering one is Irish and the other one is Scottish, them being Brits posing as yanks would be difficult, but semantics.
Gerard Butler is a Brit.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2010, 08:42 AM   #62
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
If a Brit is cast as Captain America, I hope he can do a better American accent than Gerard Butler or Colin Farrell.
Well considering one is Irish and the other one is Scottish, them being Brits posing as yanks would be difficult, but semantics.
Gerard Butler is a Brit.
he was born in scotland, he's got a scottish accent. how does that make him a Brit? Unless he lives there, but come on. I'm only going off his wikipedia page and IMDB, which says he was born in Paisley, Scotland. I've even seen him do an interview on the Craig Ferguson show, saying so. But you could be right man, although I beg to differ.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2010, 08:47 AM   #63
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

You know, as soon as I used the term "Brit," I knew someone would come along and confuse it with "Englishman." Congratulations on being first!
haha i didnt realize there was a difference. I didn't know you didn't have to be British to be a Brit. My bad people!
Old February 7 2010, 08:48 AM   #64
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Gerard Butler is a Brit.
he was born in scotland, he's got a scottish accent. how does that make him a Brit? Unless he lives there, but come on. I'm only going off his wikipedia page and IMDB, which says he was born in Paisley, Scotland. I've even seen him do an interview on the Craig Ferguson show, saying so. But you could be right man, although I beg to differ.
Scots are British citizens as they live in the United Kingdom of Great Britan (aka England, Scotland and Wales) and Northern Ireland
Santa Kang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2010, 08:51 AM   #65
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

ahhh ok. That's right! i forgot about the whole UK collective. many apologies. I've heard Gerard Butler's name being tossed around to play Caps too. I've always saw him playing somebody like Black Tom in the X-Men Universe. With somebody like Cillian Murphey playing Banshee, although he might be too young.
Old February 7 2010, 07:43 PM   #66
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

You know, as soon as I used the term "Brit," I knew someone would come along and confuse it with "Englishman." Congratulations on being first!
'Brit' comes from British. Butler is Scottish, part of Great Britain, and therefore qualified. Colin Farrell comes from the Republic of Ireland and does not therefore qualify as a Brit by any standard or reckoning. The confusion is entirely yours.
Old February 7 2010, 08:08 PM   #67
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post

'Brit' comes from British. Butler is Scottish, part of Great Britain, and therefore qualified. Colin Farrell comes from the Republic of Ireland and does not therefore qualify as a Brit by any standard or reckoning. The confusion is entirely yours.
Ireland is one of the "British Isles".

You're welcome.

EDIT: Yes, although this post does contain a true factoid, it is in fact meant in jest.
Old February 7 2010, 08:15 PM   #68
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Hardly. Take a moment to read my precise words again. I didn't call Colin Farrell a "Brit" or British (and I wouldn't call any Irishman a "Brit" to his face, for fear of getting my ass kicked). I said that Farrell is weak when it comes to speaking with an American accent. Any additional implications are all in your mind.
Old February 7 2010, 08:53 PM   #69
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Just take away the lame "First Avenger" bullshit, and I'll be happy.
They've got to have a title they can successfully promote overseas, because they can't make the money they want to based only on domestic American box office. And "America" does not mean many good things throughout most of the world.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2010, 08:57 PM   #70
Aragorn
Admiral

Isn't that what having different titles overseas is for? Some countries know of Jack Palance's Oscar-winning performance from "Life, Love and Cows."
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2010, 08:58 PM   #71
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Isn't that what having different titles overseas is for? Some countries know of Jack Palance's Oscar-winning performance from "Life, Love and Cows."
Sure, but promotion is probably easier if "First Avenger" can be used all over the place.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2010, 09:23 PM   #72
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA- Casting, Rumors, Pics till rele

Dennis wrote: View Post
Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Just take away the lame "First Avenger" bullshit, and I'll be happy.
They've got to have a title they can successfully promote overseas, because they can't make the money they want to based only on domestic American box office. And "America" does not mean many good things throughout most of the world.
"Most of the world"? How do you know?
Old February 7 2010, 10:57 PM   #73
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
Ireland is one of the "British Isles".
No it's not. That's a term which has no legal, historical or geographical basis. If it has any definition, it's Great Britain, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands and the Islands off Scotland, the Shetlands etc. Not Ireland.

And we in Ireland simply don't like it.

As Bad Bishop pointed out in his reply to me, he wouldn't call an Irishman a Brit to his face for fear of getting his ass kicked.

BB, in the context of your post, it was reasonable to assume that you were lumping Farrell in with the Brits. But I note your clarification.
Old February 7 2010, 11:04 PM   #74
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

No it's not.
Yes it is. Sorry to burst your bubble.

That's a term which has no legal, historical or geographical basis.
That part is laughably indefensible.

And we in Ireland simply don't like it.
That's the spirit!
Old February 7 2010, 11:10 PM   #75
CaptainCanada
Admiral

No it's not. That's a term which has no legal, historical or geographical basis.
Wikipedia, among others, would disagree at there being no "historical or geographic basis". It's certainly, though, a term that's fallen out of use subsequent to the assocation of "Britain" exclusively with the UK and the independence of the Republic of Ireland. Not wholly different from Canadians and Mexicans being "American" in the sense of the American continent, in that it's technically true but has issues due to the association with the USA (usually somebody would say "North American").

Some big news, on an actual movie-related front.

Counting Cap and Bucky, that's four members left; Union Jack's a given (John or Brian, I wonder?), he's of a similar powerset and makes an obvious counterpoint to Cap himself. Don't know about the rest (they're described as being representatives of European countries, which the Invaders never really were in the comics; foreign membership was primarily two Brits and an Atlantean; maybe they're planning to make up a few new characters to represent France, Poland, or wherever?).

I'll be interested to see if they're planning to bring in other characters with genuine super-powers. I mean, if the Brits have a chick who can run at the speed of sound, how impressive does that really make Steve look? Conversely, having such obviously superhuman people might give Steve a chance to demonstrate just how important he is, even if he's not the most physically powerful

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote