CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 5 2010, 05:24 AM   #16
billcosby
Commodore

Re: Twin Peaks: The Review Run

LOL, alright, alright Fantasy it is, then!

When I think sci-fi fantasy, it's Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter that first come up. I'll have to put Dale Cooper and Laura Palmer on that list, too.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2010, 06:13 AM   #17
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

And so it begins:

1x01 “Pilot”

The pilot of Twin Peaks is one of my favorite TV pilots because it has this way of easing you into the show’s world without feeling the need to rush you into the middle of action or dumping you with large amounts of backstory right out of the gate. The opening credits are also a favorite of mine with its lullaby-like music being played in the background of the town’s peaceful sights.

The buildup to Laura Palmers’ parents finding out that their daughter was murdered felt so real and ultimately heartbreaking when the bleak moment of truth arrived for them. How others in Twin Peaks react to the news of Laura’s death added more to the realness of grief and the emotional impact of Laura’s murder. I have rarely seen something like this portrayed in such an emotionally moving way on TV which told me that this show was something special.

When Agent Cooper was introduced half an hour into the episode, I found him instantly interesting starting with his first scene. How he switched in his talking to his recorder between providing details of the start of his investigation and his love for food and trees amazes me. He’s a peculiar guy but a brilliant investigator. I wouldn’t be surprised if Cooper was one of the inspirations for Detective Robert Goren of Law and Order: Criminal Intent.

Like Agent Cooper, every character on Twin Peaks has something unique about them. From Sheriff Truman to the screwball therapist. To the deviously rebellious Audrey to the gas station owner Ed, who carries the air of a Western cowboy. To the not-so-smart but adorable couple Andy and Lucy to James and Donna, two heartbroken souls who had a special bond with Laura and each other. However, I can’t figure out the Bobby character. Sometimes it looks like he’s full of it and doesn’t give a crap about Laura by the way he’s having no remorse cheating on her behind her back. But sometimes it looks like he’s genuinely hurt by Laura’s death and wants the person responsible to suffer horribly. Whether that desire for revenge comes from his feelings for Laura or his need to prove himself as a man, I don’t know. I would have to watch more episodes to put my finger on what this guy’s all about. I also don’t like the Catherine woman who has the image of an evil stepmother from a fairy tale which makes me feel sorry for her husband Pete, a kind-hearted guy who just wants to help people out.

I don’t know if it’s me but I’m getting a 50’s/60’s vibe from characters like Bobby and Shelly, the way they speak, and places like the diner and the high school. Even some of the townspeople’s clothes matched the style of that era. And Benjamin Horne who seems to be a major figure in town is giving me a Lionel Luthor vibe with her daughter Audrey, in that case, being a female version of Lex Luthor.

Now on the subject of Laura Palmer’s murder, all I have to say about it is one line spoken by Han Solo in Star Wars: A New Hope: “I have a real bad feeling about this.” Whatever happened to Laura, Ronnie, and the girl before them, a part of me is afraid to know more about it other than the hints that’s been given. It’s like I’m on the edge of the abyss and I’ve only seen a speck of its darkness. Those of you who’ve mentioned that Fire Walk With Me, the movie based on the days leading up to Laura’s murder, is scary as hell proves it. But like I said before, I’m in it for the entire run of the show and since I’ve barely scratched the surface of the mysteries of Laura Palmer and the citizens of Twin Peaks, I can’t wait to see what pops up next.

Last edited by Joe Washington; February 5 2010 at 06:27 AM.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2010, 03:31 PM   #18
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Nice first review. Have you seen all of the series before, Joe? If not, you are in for a treat.

This show starts in top form

Thinking it over, I think Twin Peaks has the best pilot ever. The structure is pitch perfect and at the same time unique. As you said, the pace is never rushed, allowing you to soak in each new character being introduced (There are lots of them too, an impressive feat!) , and just get mesmerized by the visuals and music.

It's also just how funny everything in this episode is. Once Cooper is introduced, The tone turns 180 degrees. Twin Peaks is close to my favorite series, but Cooper is by far my favorite TV character. Everything about him and every movement or speech he makes is fascinating to watch. The famed Atmosphere of this show is very evident early on, with such quirks as the fallen deer head, the broken fluorescent lights in the hospital, and the massive table of donuts. The little touches like these add to the charm and visual flair.

Speaking of comedy, There are lots of things in this show that I have no idea whether they are supposed to be funny or not. Soap opera or soap opera parody? it always seems to be both depending on the scene.

Yes, The 50's/60's is not just you. David Lynch really likes that era and a several of his films have the same look. In fact, if you want to see something "peaksish" after you finish the series, check out Lynch's Blue Velvet. Like Peaks, it's a mystery set in a small logging community. It even has Kyle Maclachlan in it.

The music is great. I keep meaning to get the soundtracks but never get around to it.

As a last note and a fun piece of trivia, notice that Cooper Refers to Sam Stanley, Kiefer Sutherland's FBI agent from the prequel. I thought it was so cool that they turned this meaningless line from the pilot into something down the road.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2010, 04:15 PM   #19
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

I have seen Blue Velvet years ago but I wasn't much into it. Some parts of the movie didn't make sense to me and others just creep me out.

I've only seen most of the first five episodes of Twin Peaks' first season after the pilot but for the purposes of this thread, I'm going to rewatch those episodes so I can make my reviews with the episodes fresh in my mind.

And I think I may have missed the mention of Sam Stanely in the pilot. Was he the expert Cooper decided not to bring in on the investigation when he was talking on the phone to someone from the FBI?
Old February 5 2010, 04:36 PM   #20
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Exactly, he was the expert Cooper didn't bring in, bringing in Albert instead. It's just a throwaway line, but it's cool that they remembered something like that when making the prequel film.

I can see why you may not care for Blue Velvet. I felt it worth mentioning, and the similarites are there (dark undertones beneath cheery small town America) but Blue Velvet is far darker, with the exception of FWWM and a few bits of the series.

Only the first five episodes then......oh, how I wish I could see it all with fresh eyes again. That's great.
Old February 6 2010, 12:16 AM   #21
UncleRogi
Commander

A Masterpiece of television; I bet the pwers that be went "Huh?" while lynch is going "Trust me! Tust me!!"

I don't think I really got FWWM totaly; Maybe I'll go back and watch ass-well.

You're not the Devil, and I'm no angel; we are simply two minds in contention. Do what you must, but not with him [Uncle Rogi]--Atoning Unifex to newborn Fury (Julian May)
UncleRogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2010, 04:34 PM   #22
Steve Roby
Commodore

Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
Nice first review. Have you seen all of the series before, Joe? If not, you are in for a treat.
Oh, yeah. Even towards the end, when it's kind of lost in some storylines that don't really work, there's always something to make you keep watching. I originally saw the show as daily reruns and could hardly wait for the next day's episode. When I watched through the gold box I generally watched a few in a row. It really immerses you in that world; watching it as a weekly TV series with occasional breaks must have been a very different experience.

Yes, The 50's/60's is not just you. David Lynch really likes that era and a several of his films have the same look. In fact, if you want to see something "peaksish" after you finish the series, check out Lynch's Blue Velvet. Like Peaks, it's a mystery set in a small logging community. It even has Kyle Maclachlan in it.
I bought Blue Velvet on video while on my first TP runthrough, never having seen it before. It really does have a similar feel. That weird timelessness, the mix of humour and horror, the distinctive characters and setting, they're all there.

The music is great. I keep meaning to get the soundtracks but never get around to it.
They're well worth it. There's the original TV soundtrack, the FWWM soundtrack, the much more recent second volume of the TV soundtrack, the two Julee Cruise albums from back then, and the Blue Velvet soundtrack has its moments, too.

As for FWWM... watching it first would be a bad idea. It gives too much away. I first saw it the day after watching the end of the Laura Palmer storyline and found it devastating. It's really grim and creepy; I didn't watch it after going through the gold box a few months back, but I might watch it today. I've only watched it twice but a lot of it stays with you.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2010, 07:29 PM   #23
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I must be the only one who didn't absolutely love the pilot; in fact, it is the only installment I don't even own, since I only had it on VHS taped from BRAVO, whereas the rest I have on DVD.

Mood is right but pace seems off, or perhaps the town's oddness is pointed up a bit much compared to the rest of the series.

Except for the 'james on road,' 'nadine/mike' and 'lil nicky' stuff, I don't think there are any plot threads in the whole series that I don't like to at least some degree. I don't have a problem with the second half of season 2, because the Annie stuff and the Earle stuff really work well for me.

The little speculation I have read about what was intended for season 3 suggests I would have liked that even more (assuming Lynch hadn't assumed a more hands-on position, which is possible, considering how much he messed with the last episode after being away for awhile.)

All things considered, CARNIVALE and TWIN PEAKS both could have had longer runs, but I am pretty damned happy with what we got from both (I find each equally rewatchable, too.) For those RonMooreers out there, he was a major player on CARNIVALE's first season.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2010, 03:15 PM   #24
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Sorry for the long delay. Busy with college work. As payment for my tardiness, I have written two reviews, one posted now and the other posted later (not so long from now) since I'm not completely done writing that one.

1x02 “Traces to Nowhere”

Good second episode and that's saying a lot because not a lot of shows are able to keep the goodness rolling by its second episode. Usually you have to wait later on in the show for it to come back.

There’s definitely some chemistry going on between Cooper and Audrey but I don’t how I feel about something more than chemistry happening between them concerning that Audrey is a high school girl.

Now I know I’m not the only one but I just want to say this for the record: I REALLY DON'T LIKE LEO. He’s one abusive, controlling asshole that I wouldn’t mind if he got killed off anytime soon in the show. Seeing the bloody shirt among his dirty clothes would make you think that he may have had something to do with Laura’s murder. But I rather watch a few more episodes before I would agree with you on that one because it’s just as likely that the blood may have come from someone else, which brings up the question: who else got killed? And come to think of it, is that shirt really Leo's?

The flashback with Laura and James made me want to cry badly for James who I feel this strange impulse to hug every time I see him and for Laura. The more I learn about Laura, the more I feel sorry for this poor, troubled girl and ponder on the growing question that seems to be on Cooper’s mind: what got her so scared that she would run away from James who she felt so happy around before? That she would change her mind about giving the other half of the money due to Leo to Bobby?

In Twin Peaks fashion, this episode like the one before and like the others that’ll follow has unveiled a number of things about the characters and the plot. Secret relationships are exposed (at least to us the audience), which I can’t go into without spoiling the reveals for those wanting to watch Twin Peaks for themselves. Plans for the downfall of the Packard sawmill are being made by shady figures and something wicked is in the air which was the feeling I was getting from Laura’s mother seeing the weird long-haired guy looking up at her. Who is he and what is his connection with what’s going on with Laura’s death? What role does the one-armed man in the hospital play in the story? What did the log lady’s log saw the night Laura was killed?

The joke with the fish in the coffee and the expressions on Cooper and Truman’s faces when being told about it had me laughing. The strained relationship between Audrey and her father, Mr. Horn, continues to carry on a Lionel/Lex vibe. A glimpse of life in Bobby’s home made me sorry for the bastard with his father hitting him for his disrespect and his mother carrying on like nothing happened. I feel there was something weird going on between Laura and her shrink, who may have been in love with his patient. And to be ranked one of my favorite scenes of “Traces to Nowhere” is the scene in which Donna shares with her mother her torn feelings about Laura’s death. On one hand, she feels deeply sad about it but on the other, she’s glad that it has given room for her and James to have their own special something (Possible motive for a possible suspect?). Maybe that’s the reason why she hung out with Laura when she, Laura, and James spent time together: so she could get close to James. But she was afraid of admitting it and acting on it because what it would do to her friendship with Laura.

Like I said before, it was a good second episode and it had me left wanting more like the all other Twin Peaks episodes that I have watched.
Old February 26 2010, 04:23 PM   #25
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

I still think the movie was awesome. I don't care what anyone says.

The show itself loses steam around the middle of season two, but the whole thing is still well worth a viewing or six.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2010, 07:14 PM   #26
Kirkman1987
Commodore

This a great episode of television. Honestly they will all be great until mid season 2.

My biggest question regarding this episode is not about the murder at all, but how a fish would come to be placed by accident in a coffee filter.

It's interesting how this show is actually somewhat normal in the beginning, the next episode will amp up the weirdness, so this episode in retrospect is the calm before the storm. Not that it isn't exciting, it is.

Leo is an ass, but he sure is entertaining. Not to give too much away, but I feel the show loses some of that menace later on, and it hurts the series. Also remember that Twin Peaks is meant to be darkly comic, and Leo can be hilarious at times. He's just so awful it's funny.

I always thought Bobby's father, Major Briggs comes off much harsher in this episode than he would in later episodes. He becomes more thoughtful and likeable as the show wears on.

Anyway, Glad to see you are back to the reviews Joe. I'm happy to see another's thoughts on one of a favorite shows. Really look forward to the next episode, one of greatest.
Old March 5 2010, 07:25 PM   #27
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

1x03 “Zen, or the Skill to Catch a Killer”

“Zen, or the Skill to Catch a Killer” has a little bit more of a focus on the Horne family which starts off with the episode opening with what would be perceived to be a normal family dinner in their household. But things on the Horne front get kicked into gear with the arrival of Uncle Jerry. I’ve learned from this episode and the one before it that Benjamin Horne is quite the manwhore and it seems like so is his brother, Jerry. I’ve also noticed once Jerry came into the picture, we get to see the side of Benjamin’s personality that’s relaxed and acts like something of a partying bad boy. Maybe that says something about his past prior to him becoming a successful businessman. And I’m getting this feeling that Jerry’s life expectancy won’t run long on the show.

I love the developing romance between James and Donna. It’s sweet and it looks like those two may be meant to be which is why it pains me to say that a part of me fears for the worst for them. It’s just that feeling of mine.

The visit to One-Eye Jack’s is a bit of an eye-opener to Twin Peaks’ not-so-seedy underworld that lies beneath the surface of this seemingly quaint town. I’m wondering how much of a role this place is going to have in the story of the show, especially after Cooper finds a mysterious message left in front of his door hinting that One-Eye Jack's may have a connection to what happened to Laura.

I have never seen anything like Cooper’s Tibet method in all my life and watching it being performed was really something. I can tell by the look on Truman’s face that he can’t tell if Cooper’s plain crazy or strangely brilliant. But with Cooper being more or so right about this case so far, I can understand Truman being willing to go along with all this weird stuff as long as it yields results on the solving of Laura’s murder.

I think Bobby may actually love Shelly by the way he reacted to her abuse at Leo’s hand. But I’ve been noticing the show’s tendency to show us one thing only to hit us with another so there could be a hidden layer to Bobby’s affections for Shelly. Speaking of unexpected twists, it turns out Bobby and Mike are very involved with Leo’s drug-smuggling business. But I don’t know if they’re buying drugs for personal use or if they have some kind kind of arrangement with Leo in which they sell drugs to the students of their high school and give Leo the money they received for selling the drugs only to be given more drugs to sell. And in the scene when Bobby and Mike secretly meet Leo in the woods, there was someone hiding behind a tree in the dark. Who is it? Does he or she work with Leo or does Leo work for him or her? Is this shadowy individual this Renault character Ed was talking about last episode?

Audrey is quite an enigma. You don’t know if she truly cares about anyone or not by the way she casually switches from the subject of Laura to the diner music like Laura never existed before. Half of the time, she acts like she’s high off some drug. I think Audrey suspects an affair was going on between Laura and her father which I wouldn’t find surprising with Laura’s troubled personality and Ben’s womanizing ways. Though parts of the Audrey characters are confusing to me like the Bobby character, I do love her dancing to the diner music in a trance-like state. It felt like something out of a soothing dream.

Cooper’s expert Albert is a prick. Truman wants to hit him already and he’s only known him for a minute. Even the delightful Lucy doesn’t like him which she expresses by sticking out her tongue at him behind his back. Cooper keeps on giving his happy smile, apparently having great confidence in Albert’s abilities as a forensic expert and not in his hardly functioning social skills. Ed’s one-eyed wife Nadine is crazy as always, surprisingly strong, and finally accomplished her desired goal of creating her perfectly soundless drape runners. Now that she’s done this, I wonder what she’ll obsess about next. Good old boy Pete is helping Josie uncover possible embezzlment and his hell of a marriage with Catherine continues (No wonder they sleep in separate rooms!). What did Pete saw in her when they first met which would have compelled him to marry her? Was marrying her even his idea?

Leland’s dance with a framed photo of his daughter was to me creepy and disturbing. To say he was handling his grief over his daughter’s death badly would be an understatement. I feel there’s something more to it. Maybe guilt. I’m suspecting that guilt may have had something to do with him possibly having sex with his daughter which would have contributed to Laura’s downward spiral.

For those of you wondering why a show like Twin Peaks is being discussed on the Science Fiction & Fantasy forum, I suggest you watch the ending of this episode which is when the show’s supernatural elements really begin to come into play. All I’ll say about it without spoiling the experience for you all is that Cooper’s dream is one out-there moment of the show that’s both surreal and thought-provoking. Not as mind-blowing as Laura Means’ breakdown in the Millennium Season 2 finale but close.
Old March 5 2010, 08:05 PM   #28
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Twin Peaks series

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
I'm thinking of watching all episodes of Twin Peaks from the first episode to the last and then watch Twin Peaks: Walk With Fire

It was said on the audio commentary on the DVDs if I remember right that David Lynch really put everything into the first 6 episodes of season 1 and also came back with full force for the finale episode of season 2.
He got weighed down with the pressures of creating a weekly show and pulled way back creatively after that 6th episode. So that's like making 2 feature films back-to-back (about 260 minutes of running time) with his intensity.

also
But those first six episodes of Twin Peaks -- that was great television.
http://www.teevee.net/2002/10/
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2010, 10:25 PM   #29
Kirkman1987
Commodore

One of the best in the series. They're all great in the first season, but the iconic dream sequence and Tibet rock throwing scene, along with the introduction of Albert push this one very far.

Albert was a lot of fun in the series. The show before this episode was desperately needing someone with a bit of witty cynicism and edge.

The Dream Sequence is one of the strangest things to air on television, and I know when I first saw it my mind was blown.
Old March 8 2010, 11:41 PM   #30
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

While you guys are waiting for my review on the next Twin Peaks episode, here are a few Twin Peak videos to entertain you:

A Bobby Brigg tribute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sO6kv7LnX4

A video on the crazy, weird side of Twin Peaks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nInx615ay-8

A funny video on Benjamin Horne's insanity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi91INFZAzU

BEWARE of some spoilers that are shown in these videos.