Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 3 2010, 02:28 AM   #1
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

DOMINION DECLARATION

Did the Federation council formally declare war upon the Dominion? Or is it part of Star Fleet's standing rules of engagement to begin, prosecute and end major wars on their own?

At some point did the ambassadors/delegates/representatives from all the member worlds meet in full session with the President (and Prime Minister?) in attendance. Was there a impassioned speech by the President, followed by a debate and a vote to declare that a state of war existed between the United Federation of Planets and the Dominion?

Or is a formal declaration of war this charming old custom from Earth's past that is no longer observed? There doesn't seem to have been any way for the Federation to send a notification of such a declaration to the Founders.

What do you think?

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 02:33 AM   #2
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile
Re: DOMINION DECLARATION

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Did the Federation council formally declare war upon the Dominion?
Actually it was the reverse. The Dominion declared war against the Federation. They did this because Starfleet had begun mining the entrance to the wormhole (which was in turn a response to Dominion incursions into the Alpha Quadrant - specifically, Cardassian territory).

At some point did the ambassadors/delegates/representatives from all the member worlds meet in full session with the President (and Prime Minister?) in attendance.
The Federation has only a president, not a Prime Minister. The state of United Earth, OTOH, has both (it's a parliamentary republic - President as head of state, PM as head of government).

Was there a impassioned speech by the President, followed by a debate and a vote to declare that a state of war existed between the United Federation of Planets and the Dominion?
I doubt it. As I said, the Dominion was the side who declared war.

There doesn't seem to have been any way for the Federation to send a notification of such a declaration to the Founders.
Yes, there would have been: Weyoun.
Old February 3 2010, 03:58 AM   #3
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I doubt it. As I said, the Dominion was the side who declared war.
As I understand it, a legal state of war doesn't exist, in this country, until declared by Congress--Germany declared war on us, but the Congress passed a bill of war on them (and Italy, and Romania, and so forth). Of course, there's no reason to believe that the Federation constitution even acknowledges legal states of war. It's not really necessary--you can't fight wars easily without needing them one bit.

I don't remember if the Dominion actually formally declared war on the Feds or anyone else.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 04:14 AM   #4
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Non-canonically I believe the Federation did declare war on the Dominion. Canonically I don't believe it was ever specified.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Navaros
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Actually it was the reverse. The Dominion declared war against the Federation.
I would argue that the Feds declared war implicitly by mining the wormhole, which was in itself an act of war.

But as for the OP's question, no, the Feds did not formally declare war. They like to do and endorse nefarious things yet without taking upfront responsiblity for them. Conducting war without declaring war is one of those things. The genocide disease is another, etc.
Navaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 06:54 PM   #6
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

Navaros wrote: View Post
Actually it was the reverse. The Dominion declared war against the Federation.
I would argue that the Feds declared war implicitly by mining the wormhole, which was in itself an act of war.

But as for the OP's question, no, the Feds did not formally declare war. They like to do and endorse nefarious things yet without taking upfront responsiblity for them. Conducting war without declaring war is one of those things. The genocide disease is another, etc.
Because we always see the internal machinations of Federation government, and that disease certainly wasn't Section 31's work instead of the UFP. Nope.
Old February 3 2010, 07:26 PM   #7
Apogeal Alpha01
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Apogeal Alpha01

Mining the Wormhole was an act of self-preservation, not war. Excursions for trade into the Gamma Quadrant should have been punishable by self-annihilation? I don't think so.
Old February 3 2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Marie1
Rear Admiral

^ No, but wandering in there and taking planets and starting colonies on them wherever wouldn't be looked upon favourably by anyone, esp. as hostile as we in the Dominion are.
Old February 3 2010, 11:02 PM   #9
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

Marie1 wrote: View Post
^ No, but wandering in there and taking planets and starting colonies on them wherever wouldn't be looked upon favourably by anyone, esp. as hostile as we in the Dominion are.
If the Dominion had wanted the Federation to stop, they should have said so.

Conversely, the Dominion pouring troops into Cardassian space *was* inherently dangerous to the Federation, who had every right to stop it.

Or, by your own logic: Why should the Dominion be allowed to enter the Alpha Quadrant with impunity, but the Federation not be allowed into the GQ?
Old February 4 2010, 04:37 AM   #10
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral

The Bajorans started a colony in the GQ, in space that was more than likely not held by the Dominion. As far as I recall the Feds didn't have any colonies in the GQ.
Seventh White Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 05:31 AM   #11
StarryEyed
Commodore

Sisko mentioned the Romulans officially declaring war on the Dominion in ITPML so it seems they practice that formality. I don't believe anything was mentioned in regards to any other powers formally declaring war.
StarryEyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 07:19 AM   #12
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Navaros wrote: View Post
The Bajoran government and the Federation had every right to place mines in their terrority. If they had placed mines in Cardassian space, or in Dominion space in the Gamma Quadrant, that would have been an act of war.

This was simply an act of internal defense. All they were doing was telling the Dominion that they couldn't pass through Bajoran space and they set up a means to make that possible. In effect, they were fortifying their borders, which every state has the right to do.
Old February 4 2010, 07:54 PM   #13
Nick086
Captain

How vast is Dominion space? You don't see any Borg present in the Gamma Quadrant. Does the Dominion control entire Gamma Quadrant? The Dominion were very hyper sensitive to any outsider entering their space. So I guesss any motive friendly or not is an act of war. The ferengi couldn't even make any serious profitable trading or selling in Quadrant.
Nick086 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 09:54 PM   #14
Marie1
Rear Admiral

If the Dominion had wanted the Federation to stop, they should have said so.

Conversely, the Dominion pouring troops into Cardassian space *was* inherently dangerous to the Federation, who had every right to stop it.

Or, by your own logic: Why should the Dominion be allowed to enter the Alpha Quadrant with impunity, but the Federation not be allowed into the GQ?
We were gonna invade the AQ anyway!

Jono wrote: View Post
The Bajorans started a colony in the GQ, in space that was more than likely not held by the Dominion. As far as I recall the Feds didn't have any colonies in the GQ.
But the Feds were flying around in the GQ, and looking over planets for mining etc. And even if it wasn't "in" the space, between Fed and Rom. space there's a neutral zone...
Old February 5 2010, 02:56 AM   #15
The Christmas of Borg
Rear Admiral

The Feds were within their rights to mine the wormhole, especially with the blessing of the Bajoran liason officer. On the other hand, history condemns the Japanese Navy's attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. The Federation was equally guilty of a savage act of war when they launched their preemptive attack on the Torros III shipyards. The Feds started the Dominion War, though you could argue that it would have happened sooner or later.

My Office Space spoof
The Christmas of Borg is offline   Reply With Quote