RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,829
Posts: 5,473,082
Members: 25,039
Currently online: 512
Newest member: noroadcordova

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 3 2010, 03:17 AM   #31
CoveTom
Rear Admiral
 
Location: CoveTom
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

Keep in mind, too, that at the time everyone was being told that TNG was not going to last. The actors were signed to 5-year contracts because that is a standard in television, but were all told "don't worry, this thing won't make it past the first year." And, at the stage in the game they were when Crosby left, I can understand why she might have thought that.

Plus, as others have pointed out, the writing for her character -was- terrible. She had great potential, but it was never used. When she was used, it was written so badly it was painful, especially the dialogue she was given.

So, yeah, in retrospect it was a bad move for her to leave. And if I were a struggling actor, I'd probably hang on to a steady series gig as long as I could unless there was a -real- good reason to leave. But that's just me. Other actors feel differently. Her character was being badly written and underused, and everyone thought the show wasn't going to last. I can't really blame her for her decision.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 03:42 AM   #32
billcosby
Commodore
 
billcosby's Avatar
 
Location: billcosby
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

Can't see why she couldn't have waited out the 3 more episodes to finish the season, though. The Neutral Zone wasn't much of a cliffhanger.
__________________
My 1st Edition TrekCCG virtual expansion: http://billcosbytrekccg.blogspot.com/

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 03:53 AM   #33
Praetor
Vice Admiral
 
Praetor's Avatar
 
Location: The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

Alrik wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
You know, the female Romulans of TNG onward were pretty much anti-sexy.
*cough* Donatra *cough*

Damn. Even I can't deny how hot Dina Meyer is.
__________________
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 04:54 AM   #34
milo bloom
Fleet Captain
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Location: The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

Longtime fan of Yar, always thought her leaving was a bad idea. I've wondered if they couldn't have made an effort to bring her back to the main timeline when they were trying to get a new semi-permanent bridge officer in the later seasons and Michelle Forbes wouldn't commit to Ro.

Was always impressed they made sure to get her back for All Good Things...


ETA: If TNG ever gets an Abrams style reboot years down the road, I hope they give the Yar character a much better showing. Though of course she'll probably end up like Gary Mitchell did in the new movie.
__________________
'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!
milo bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 05:10 AM   #35
billcosby
Commodore
 
billcosby's Avatar
 
Location: billcosby
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

Milo Bloom wrote: View Post
Was always impressed they made sure to get her back for All Good Things...
Agreed, I read somewhere Denise had her hair grown out shoulder length and they'd made a wig for her that looked hideous, so she decided to chop it off so that she wouldn't look horrible forever in syndication!

Milo Bloom wrote: View Post
ETA: If TNG ever gets an Abrams style reboot years down the road, I hope they give the Yar character a much better showing.
That's a very interesting idea... and I do subscribe to the theory that TNG will eventually get rebooted in our lifetime.
__________________
My 1st Edition TrekCCG virtual expansion: http://billcosbytrekccg.blogspot.com/

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 06:55 PM   #36
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain
 
Doug Otte's Avatar
 
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

Milo Bloom wrote: View Post
ETA: If TNG ever gets an Abrams style reboot years down the road, I hope they give the Yar character a much better showing. Though of course she'll probably end up like Gary Mitchell did in the new movie.
"...like Gary Mitchell did in the new movie..." - do you mean "nonexistent"? I don't remember GM being even mentioned in the Nu movie.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 09:26 PM   #37
tharpdevenport
Admiral
 
tharpdevenport's Avatar
 
Location: Click here for super karate monkey death MOD porn!
View tharpdevenport's Twitter Profile
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
tharpdevenport wrote: View Post
I seem to recall reading in a TNG magazine (maybe even the failed "Star Trek: The Magazine") that she was let go because they didn't have the bduget and Gene and/or the studio wanted to focus on Worf. And Gene regretted it.

Being a background character at the time, I imagine his salary went up as soon as he became a regular cast member.
Roddenberry was upset that she was leaving, so had her character killed to avoid any possibility of her coming back.

Doug
Yeah, that last part worked out real well.


I can't name another TV character, with some thought, that died, but still kept coming back.
__________________
Mr. Signature
Number 2 "Are you going to run?"
Number 6 "Like blazes! The first chance I get."
-Smile! God Loves You! Too bad he doesn't exist, oh and everyone else thinks you're an asshole.
tharpdevenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 09:41 PM   #38
Nick086
Captain
 
Nick086's Avatar
 
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

They needed good writers in the first season. I didn't like her character's background. From what I could remember she was raised somewhere where rape gangs and crime ran amoke on some planet. If only the writers in the series could at least given her character a decent personal background and bio.
Nick086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 10:07 PM   #39
CoveTom
Rear Admiral
 
Location: CoveTom
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Roddenberry was upset that she was leaving, so had her character killed to avoid any possibility of her coming back.
Are you sure about that? When her character was brought back, it was in the third season, and Roddenberry, though not running the day-to-day operations, was still very much involved in reviewing the scripts and giving his approval. I base that on the fact that Michael Piller did not join the staff until the third season, but talks about the conversations he had with Roddenberry where Roddenberry was unhappy with a particular script and they had to rewrite it.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2010, 09:32 PM   #40
Unicron
Continuity Spackle
 
Unicron's Avatar
 
Location: The mockingjay soars
Send a message via ICQ to Unicron
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

Nick086 wrote: View Post
They needed good writers in the first season. I didn't like her character's background. From what I could remember she was raised somewhere where rape gangs and crime ran amoke on some planet. If only the writers in the series could at least given her character a decent personal background and bio.
It was a failed Federation colony. I didn't mind the unpleasant background so much as (and my memory could be shaky) there never really being a good explanation for why the Feds didn't make a better effort to restore order.
__________________

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."


Knight Exemplar
Unicron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 12:24 AM   #41
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain
 
Doug Otte's Avatar
 
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

CoveTom wrote: View Post
Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Roddenberry was upset that she was leaving, so had her character killed to avoid any possibility of her coming back.
Are you sure about that? When her character was brought back, it was in the third season, and Roddenberry, though not running the day-to-day operations, was still very much involved in reviewing the scripts and giving his approval. I base that on the fact that Michael Piller did not join the staff until the third season, but talks about the conversations he had with Roddenberry where Roddenberry was unhappy with a particular script and they had to rewrite it.
Yes; I'm sure about it, but not sure where I read it. Maybe it was in Engel's biography.

However, I can't explain about her reappearance in Yesterday's Enterprise. I think, by that time, Roddenberry was pretty uncommunicative, and so didn't have much input into the show. Any quotes from the cast and crew to the contrary were probably just propaganda for the fans.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 02:59 AM   #42
billcosby
Commodore
 
billcosby's Avatar
 
Location: billcosby
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

I don't think there was any bad blood between Denise and Roddenbery. But who knows? I've read pretty bizarre things about Roddenbery... maybe he had a Captain Kirk side with the women?
__________________
My 1st Edition TrekCCG virtual expansion: http://billcosbytrekccg.blogspot.com/

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 03:30 AM   #43
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral
 
Joel_Kirk's Avatar
 
Location: Chillin' on Ligon II...
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

Praetor wrote: View Post
Alrik wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post
You know, the female Romulans of TNG onward were pretty much anti-sexy.
*cough* Donatra *cough*

Damn. Even I can't deny how hot Dina Meyer is.
Yes, Donatra was hot....but could have been more hotter....in a more interesting outfit...

billcosby wrote: View Post
Milo Bloom wrote: View Post
Was always impressed they made sure to get her back for All Good Things...
Agreed, I read somewhere Denise had her hair grown out shoulder length and they'd made a wig for her that looked hideous, so she decided to chop it off so that she wouldn't look horrible forever in syndication!

Milo Bloom wrote: View Post
ETA: If TNG ever gets an Abrams style reboot years down the road, I hope they give the Yar character a much better showing.
That's a very interesting idea... and I do subscribe to the theory that TNG will eventually get rebooted in our lifetime.
That should be interesting....

tharpdevenport wrote: View Post
Doug Otte wrote: View Post
tharpdevenport wrote: View Post
I seem to recall reading in a TNG magazine (maybe even the failed "Star Trek: The Magazine") that she was let go because they didn't have the bduget and Gene and/or the studio wanted to focus on Worf. And Gene regretted it.

Being a background character at the time, I imagine his salary went up as soon as he became a regular cast member.
Roddenberry was upset that she was leaving, so had her character killed to avoid any possibility of her coming back.

Doug
Yeah, that last part worked out real well.


I can't name another TV character, with some thought, that died, but still kept coming back.
Weyoun....(although, he eventually died 'for reals' )...

I would say Jason Voorhees, but he's a movie character....as is Mike Myers...
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 05:34 PM   #44
CoveTom
Rear Admiral
 
Location: CoveTom
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
Any quotes from the cast and crew to the contrary were probably just propaganda for the fans.
Interesting. I never got the impression that Roddenberry was that far "out of the loop" for the third season. And it never seemed as though Michael Piller was one to just make up stories like that out of whole cloth for the purposes of "propaganda."

I remember one specific incident he detailed -- and this was years later, long after TNG that he was discussing it -- where Roddenberry was unhappy with a script. He called Piller in and asked him "what's this script about?" Piller started explaining the plot, and Roddenberry stopped him and explained to him that the script was a fine collection of action and plot twists, but that it wasn't really -about- anything. And Piller said that affected the way he looked at TNG writing from then on.

I always respected Piller as a writer for the fact that he was able to look at the restrictions imposed by Roddenberry's rules and view them as a creative challenge rather than a millstone around the neck, and never once sat around and complained about how tough it was to write for the Trek universe.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2010, 07:33 PM   #45
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain
 
Doug Otte's Avatar
 
Re: Tasha Yar Presents: "Making Good Career Decisions"

CoveTom wrote: View Post
Interesting. I never got the impression that Roddenberry was that far "out of the loop" for the third season. And it never seemed as though Michael Piller was one to just make up stories like that out of whole cloth for the purposes of "propaganda."
I don't have Engel's book, so I can't look it up. I'll try to pick it up and find the reference.

I do have "The Continuing Mission" which is an "official" ST book, so you won't find much controversy there. However, on p. 119 (regarding the 3rd season), Piller is quoted: "Gene was beginning to go into decline. Not that he was completely uncommunicative, but it was clear that he was not the same man that he had been." I infer from that statement that Roddenberry didn't have much input at that point, or it was sporadic at best. Maybe he just didn't care about Crosby's return by that time.

And, I wouldn't say Piller made up stories. To quote Spock, "It was an exaggeration."

Anyway, I'll have to retract my statement about Roddenberry wanting to kill off Yar out of anger until I can find a reference.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
funny, picard, tasha, yar

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.