Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 3 2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

New amateur footage of Challenger disaster surfaces

I just came across this video and thought it was kind of interesting. It was shot about 70 miles away from the launch site by a guy trying out his new betamax camcorder.

http://nycaviation.com/2010/01/31/pr...nger-disaster/

It's kind of eerie how they slowly come to realize what has just happened.
Old February 3 2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Re: New amateur footage of Challenger disaster surfaces

Sadly i remember the Challenger disaster like it happened yesterday. I had the television on and i brought my then 2 year old son in to watch the takeoff with me. I remember well how it took me (and everyone else) so long to realize what we had seen. Just heartbreaking. It was really something for that man to turn the tape over before he passed on.

Thanks for sharing that heartbreaking link with us.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 09:37 PM   #3
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Like your son, I was two years old, and watching the launch with my parents. I had a little toy space shuttle to ride in, and was sitting on it. I remember my mother crying. It is one of my earliest memories.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Zulu Romeo
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Zulu Romeo

I was six when I saw it happen. It was the very first time I had experienced the feelings of denial and disbelief. It took me a long time before it could all sink in.

Thanks for sharing that link. It's still chilling to watch.
Old February 3 2010, 09:48 PM   #5
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I have no memory of the event itself. I suppose I was 3 at the time, but I've always just thought of it as yet another historical event.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 10:00 PM   #6
Franklin
Rear Admiral

First, the snarky stuff. "Heh, heh. Betamax. Heh, heh." OK, that's out of the way --

I was in graduate school, in my apartment with the flu. I awoke from a nap and turned on the TV. Still just half awake, there was Dan Rather, talking in a somber voice about the Challenger and its crew. It took me about two minutes to piece togther that he was talking about it having just blown up. Then they showed the footage.
I had to share it with someone, so I called my graduate student office number and told them to get in front of a TV, or turn on NPR, or something, because the Challenger had just exploded shortly after launch. I got dressed and went in, after that. I didn't feel like being alone. It turns out my call is how the entire department heard about the disaster.
Old February 3 2010, 10:07 PM   #7
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

I watched it in sixth grade. The teacher wheeled in the TV for us to watch it, and a lot of the kid's started crying.

Why did this guy keep the video to himself all these years? He acknowledged in the video itself that he had recorded a piece of history. Maybe they would have wanted a copy for the accident investigation and for museums and the media afterward. Not that it would likely provide any further insights, but still, he should have shared it.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

I would have to think that Nasa has a ton of cameras from all angles set up to watch the take-off. This guy's video from how many miles away certainly couldn't tell them anything they wouldn't have gotten off of their own cameras. Don't you think?
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 10:25 PM   #9
SeerSGB
Admiral

Yeoman Randi wrote: View Post
I would have to think that Nasa has a ton of cameras from all angles set up to watch the take-off. This guy's video from how many miles away certainly couldn't tell them anything they wouldn't have gotten off of their own cameras. Don't you think?
See something from that distance that they didn't catch on closer cams? Something like this is never hurts to have more information than you need; better to have and not need it, than need it and not have it.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 10:30 PM   #10
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Yeah. This is hardly like the Zapruder film. He probably sat on it for so long because he realized that himself. It wasn't going to help any investigation to release it.
Old February 3 2010, 10:31 PM   #11
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I was in high school at the time. They pulled us out of class and took us to the library, and there on the TV, Dan Rather was holding a model of the Space Shuttle. The teachers turned off the TV as soon as we came in and told us what had happened. We went back to class and I sat there, a bit stunned.

It was a very sad, strange day.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 10:35 PM   #12
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

No new information will come from this. It's just a new vantage
Old February 3 2010, 10:54 PM   #13
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

Yes, that's why I said that in my post:

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Why did this guy keep the video to himself all these years? He acknowledged in the video itself that he had recorded a piece of history. Maybe they would have wanted a copy for the accident investigation and for museums and the media afterward. Not that it would likely provide any further insights, but still, he should have shared it.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2010, 01:08 AM   #14
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

"That's trouble of some kind."

I was 24 years old, sitting in my office at St. Margaret's when somebody poked her head in the door and said the Space Shuttle exploded. The image that popped into my head was an explosion on the pad. The only access to news I had was the radio in the mail room down the hall; I didn't see any video until I got home. It was heartbreaking. I didn't sleep for several days.

I wonder if he withheld the video because he didn't want any notoriety; maybe he just didn't want to be asked about it or interviewed and so waited until he knew he would be gone.
Old February 4 2010, 03:37 AM   #15
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I watched it in sixth grade. The teacher wheeled in the TV for us to watch it, and a lot of the kid's started crying.
This is how I experienced it, too, except I was in 5th grade, and by the end of that same school day, I had already heard the "What does NASA stand for? Need Another Seven Astronauts" thing. I was so sad and PISSED.