Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old February 2 2010, 08:40 AM   #766
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Star Trek: Online

Arthur Frelling Dent wrote: View Post
Thanks, I don't want to disparage the wrong company. It's just that I read many posts on many websites about my specific brand and model of hard drive having a high failure rate.

Edited to add: I've since come across several polls and articles indicating that Western Digital is 2nd only to Seagate in reliability and value. Now I don't know who to believe!

Actually, we replaced thousands of drives a week, and the vast majority of them were Seagate drives that we switched out and replaced with Western Digital drives. We also replaced a TON of Fujitsu drives, mainly for laptops, though.

scifiguy wrote: View Post
Its very little like WoW. STO is quite combat centered, which may turn off some people who were hoping for more of a simulator style game for role playing. Most of the time you destroy enemy ships or you beam down and have a fire fight on the ground. Occasionally you perform some scans to investigate something.

Where the game shines is its "story episodes". I don't want to give too much spoiler but you might just revisit a very famous location from original Trek and go on an epic journey to rescue the descendant of characters we all know and love so you can save the Federation. These types of missions have different stages of space dogfights, away team missions, warping to new planets to follow leads, etc. that make them feel very much like you are participating in a TV show episode. Cryptic promises more of this to come but to be honest I feel they are leaning on the repetitive content to get the game out early. If you are concerned about not enough of these types of story oriented missions I would wait a few months for them to get some big content patches out because they have already announced some big stuff coming.

I don't care for PvP so I didn't do any of that and can't comment on it. What I can say is that I tried for a week to convince myself I didn't want to get it until they had some patches out. I just couldn't stop thinking about the game so I ended up buying it after all.
Ah. I was hoping for more of an exploratory game. Even in WoW you can just explore the map. Granted you can get killed mighty easily if you're out of your element, but you can go everywhere you want (well, that's accessible by foot).

That being said, it still looks like a lot of fun, and I am positively drooling to get my hands on a Galaxy Class vessel.
Old February 2 2010, 08:46 AM   #767
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

So, I'm addicted to Star Trek Online, I just sat and played for 7 hours straight, 3 AM, I should go to bed

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old February 2 2010, 10:28 AM   #768
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Well, we Steam buyers have to wait a couple of more hours until we get our retail keys...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/901222/
Old February 2 2010, 12:55 PM   #769
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Quick question because I am a lazy ass: can you have more than one ship/char? My kid is getting Star Trek Online but I am not willing to swap WoW for it or pay for 2 games, hoping that I will be able to mess around on my own char on his account to see what it is like. He is EXTREMELY excited but a lot of it is meh to me, not being into ships or commanding crew or battles.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old February 2 2010, 12:56 PM   #770
Aeolusdallas
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
Quick question because I am a lazy ass: can you have more than one ship/char? My kid is getting Star Trek Online but I am not willing to swap WoW for it or pay for 2 games, hoping that I will be able to mess around on my own char on his account to see what it is like. He is EXTREMELY excited but a lot of it is meh to me, not being into ships or commanding crew or battles.
2 at first then a third when you unlock the klingons
Old February 2 2010, 01:11 PM   #771
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
2 at first then a third when you unlock the klingons
As well as a 4th...
You can make 2 Federation characters and 2 Klingon Empire characters once your 1st Federation character becomes Luitenant 6th class/level 6...
Old February 2 2010, 07:48 PM   #772
Arthur Frelling Dent
Fleet Captain

Well, I got my copy of STO from Amazon. Now I just need a working computer. Dell's dragging their feet. They're supposed to be calling me back later today (after "more research" into my supposedly "never before seen problem"). Every error message and diagnostic result clearly indicates a bad hard drive and yet they're not willing to admit that. One way or another I'm getting a new hard drive from them today even if I have to go Klingon on their butts.
Old February 2 2010, 07:53 PM   #773
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Well, I got my copy of STO from Amazon. Now I just need a working computer. Dell's dragging their feet. They're supposed to be calling me back later today (after "more research" into my supposedly "never before seen problem"). Every error message and diagnostic result clearly indicates a bad hard drive and yet they're not willing to admit that. One way or another I'm getting a new hard drive from them today even if I have to go Klingon on their butts.
Call them and tell them you want a new hard drive right now, and that it is covered under your warranty. They are going to drag their feet as long as they can. So you need to call them and be very firm.

"Never before seen problem", my ass.
Old February 2 2010, 07:59 PM   #774
Arthur Frelling Dent
Fleet Captain

Axiom wrote: View Post
Call them and tell them you want a new hard drive right now, and that it is covered under your warranty. They are going to drag their feet as long as they can. So you need to call them and be very firm.

My problem has always been that I'm too patient for my own good. However, I already emailed them some follow-up diagnostic results, further solidifying the obvious, and did demand that they send me a new hard drive.
Old February 2 2010, 08:00 PM   #775
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

My problem has always been that I'm too patient for my own good. However, I already emailed them some follow-up diagnostic results, further solidifying the obvious, and did demand that they send me a new hard drive.
Which warranty do you have?
Old February 2 2010, 08:57 PM   #776
Arthur Frelling Dent
Fleet Captain

Standard 1 year warranty.
Old February 2 2010, 09:04 PM   #777
strikefalcon
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to strikefalcon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to strikefalcon

STO allows you to just free roam to any system available. You don't have to sign up for any missions right away. I haven't done much myself, but you're not forced to do one mission right after another.
Old February 2 2010, 09:34 PM   #778
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

In that case, they're going to ignore your diagnostics and drag their feet. They'll send you a standard form email in response to your email. You'll need to call them and talk to a Supervisor. Otherwise, you'll be lucky to get your hard drive in the next two weeks.
Old February 2 2010, 10:01 PM   #779
Arthur Frelling Dent
Fleet Captain

In that case, they're going to ignore your diagnostics and drag their feet. They'll send you a standard form email in response to your email. You'll need to call them and talk to a Supervisor. Otherwise, you'll be lucky to get your hard drive in the next two weeks.
They're supposed to call me back at 6:00 (shortly after I get home). If not, I'll call them. I will get my hard drive.

[PICARD]The line must be drawn here! This far and no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done![/PICARD]
Old February 2 2010, 10:11 PM   #780
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

They're supposed to call me back at 6:00 (shortly after I get home). If not, I'll call them. I will get my hard drive.

[PICARD]The line must be drawn here! This far and no further! And I will make them pay for what they've done![/PICARD]
Make sure you hold their feet to the fire. You are very low priority because you just have a standard warranty. Make them get your drive to you as fast as possible.
Closed Thread