Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old February 1 2010, 07:52 PM   #751
startrekrcks
Fleet Captain

View startrekrcks's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Online

I would love this game it looks awesome wonder if you can have a female captain
Old February 1 2010, 08:11 PM   #752
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

^^^ Yes, you can have a female Captain.
Old February 1 2010, 09:41 PM   #753
strikefalcon
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to strikefalcon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to strikefalcon

Arthur Frelling Dent wrote: View Post
Well, that was fun while it lasted. I had my new Dell exactly 16 days when the hard drive died last night. Grrrrr. I'll have to call Tech Support when I get home from work, but it looks most definitely dead. Obviously it's still under warranty so they should just send me a replacement but who knows how long that will take. Maybe Cryptic will finally get the STO server up by then.
Getting a Dell was your first mistake. I dunno what happened, but they've been using crap components in their machines recently. Bought a netbook of theirs for the wife and the whole thing fried and started coming apart at the monitor hinge after two months!
Old February 1 2010, 10:00 PM   #754
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Collective_8472 wrote: View Post
It's more like City of Heroes in space... and yet not.
The game is made by Cryptic, the same guys who built CoH (and later Champions Online, its spiritual successor).
The ground combat is similar to those games, 90% of the time it's ranged and IMO they do a decent job of handwaving away the resiliancy of characters.
You get a personal shield (something Starfleet's had for years but that we rarely saw due to budget reasons, ditto body armor).
Aside from the scaling issues (go to DS9 and you'll really see it) the game is wonderful. Granted the scaling-up of everything is to accomodate the 3rd person view (if they scaled things proper ala elite force, you'd be looking down through the ceiling with the camera... it'd be messy).

The game isn't for idiots. You need to READ the quest text (something you can get away with not doing in WoW) to pick up on where to go, what to do, etc. IMO the way it should be.

The chat... dear gods the Sirius sector chat... retards ahoy!
Ah, I see. Thank you!

strikefalcon wrote: View Post
Well, that was fun while it lasted. I had my new Dell exactly 16 days when the hard drive died last night. Grrrrr. I'll have to call Tech Support when I get home from work, but it looks most definitely dead. Obviously it's still under warranty so they should just send me a replacement but who knows how long that will take. Maybe Cryptic will finally get the STO server up by then.
Getting a Dell was your first mistake. I dunno what happened, but they've been using crap components in their machines recently. Bought a netbook of theirs for the wife and the whole thing fried and started coming apart at the monitor hinge after two months!
Yeah. Believe me when I tell you it's been more than just recently.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Old February 1 2010, 10:44 PM   #755
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Waiting to pick mine up Wednesday and getting the extras.
Old February 1 2010, 10:46 PM   #756
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I'm looking forward to buying this game tomorrow.

I thought about doing the download version, but I'd rather have the physical DVD in hand, not really going to get the collectors edition though, money is an issue and all, I'll just stick to the standard. Need to find out what subscription prices are though.

I'm highly looking forward to gaming in the 25th century!

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old February 1 2010, 11:53 PM   #757
Arthur Frelling Dent
Fleet Captain

Axiom wrote: View Post

D'oh! This Dell replaced another Dell which lasted nearly 8 years. My fiancee has a Dell laptop that's still going strong after about 5 years. Shame the quality has apparently gone downhill. In fairness though, for the whopping 16 days it was running, I was extremely pleased with the performance of my new PC.

Researching my current problem I've discovered that the Western Digital hard drive Dell used is a piece of crap and presumably they'll just send me another. I'm almost tempted to just go to a store and buy a good hard drive. I don't want to void my warranty though and I don't feel like coughing up more money for something that's Dell's fault.
Old February 2 2010, 12:08 AM   #758
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

D'oh! This Dell replaced another Dell which lasted nearly 8 years. My fiancee has a Dell laptop that's still going strong after about 5 years. Shame the quality has apparently gone downhill. In fairness though, for the whopping 16 days it was running, I was extremely pleased with the performance of my new PC.

Researching my current problem I've discovered that the Western Digital hard drive Dell used is a piece of crap and presumably they'll just send me another. I'm almost tempted to just go to a store and buy a good hard drive. I don't want to void my warranty though and I don't feel like coughing up more money for something that's Dell's fault.
Well, Western Digital is superb in terms of performance and reliability. It's just that your hard drive has probably been dropped repeatedly and used dozens of times over. I used to work in Warranty, in the largest warranty facility Dell has, and specifically in that department, so I can tell you firsthand by seeing my coworkers, and that I'm not surprised.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Old February 2 2010, 12:17 AM   #759
Arthur Frelling Dent
Fleet Captain

Well, Western Digital is superb in terms of performance and reliability. It's just that your hard drive has probably been dropped repeatedly and used dozens of times over. I used to work in Warranty, in the largest warranty facility Dell has, and specifically in that department, so I can tell you firsthand by seeing my coworkers, and that I'm not surprised.
Thanks, I don't want to disparage the wrong company. It's just that I read many posts on many websites about my specific brand and model of hard drive having a high failure rate.

Edited to add: I've since come across several polls and articles indicating that Western Digital is 2nd only to Seagate in reliability and value. Now I don't know who to believe!

Last edited by Arthur Frelling Dent; February 2 2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old February 2 2010, 12:32 AM   #760
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Well, I couldn't resist any longer, I just purchased the digital download deluxe edition on steam, downloading the Beta now, and I'll be playing tonight. I hope this transfers over to the full retail game tomorrow.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old February 2 2010, 01:17 AM   #761
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Brent wrote: View Post
Well, I couldn't resist any longer, I just purchased the digital download deluxe edition on steam, downloading the Beta now, and I'll be playing tonight. I hope this transfers over to the full retail game tomorrow.
I am hoping I get mine at midnight
Old February 2 2010, 02:50 AM   #762
scifiguy
Cadet

As someone who wants to purchase it, but is leery of gameplay, how does it "feel"? Does it have a "WoW" feel but in space? Or is it something completely different? Since they won't offer free trials for a while, I'm just very curious.
Its very little like WoW. STO is quite combat centered, which may turn off some people who were hoping for more of a simulator style game for role playing. Most of the time you destroy enemy ships or you beam down and have a fire fight on the ground. Occasionally you perform some scans to investigate something.

Where the game shines is its "story episodes". I don't want to give too much spoiler but you might just revisit a very famous location from original Trek and go on an epic journey to rescue the descendant of characters we all know and love so you can save the Federation. These types of missions have different stages of space dogfights, away team missions, warping to new planets to follow leads, etc. that make them feel very much like you are participating in a TV show episode. Cryptic promises more of this to come but to be honest I feel they are leaning on the repetitive content to get the game out early. If you are concerned about not enough of these types of story oriented missions I would wait a few months for them to get some big content patches out because they have already announced some big stuff coming.

I don't care for PvP so I didn't do any of that and can't comment on it. What I can say is that I tried for a week to convince myself I didn't want to get it until they had some patches out. I just couldn't stop thinking about the game so I ended up buying it after all.
Old February 2 2010, 03:50 AM   #763
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

scifiguy wrote: View Post
Where the game shines is its "story episodes".
from a review today:
If enough people subscribe to the game — Needham said it could be a success with as few as 50,000 subscribers per month, compared to more than 11 million for Warcraft — the 80 to 120 hours of story included with the game disc
50,000 people. That a huge difference in number.
(c) 2010, Los Angeles Times.
February 1, 2010
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news...-entertainment
Old February 2 2010, 03:52 AM   #764
Aeolusdallas
Captain

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
scifiguy wrote: View Post
Where the game shines is its "story episodes". I don't want to give too much spoiler but you might just revisit a very famous location from original Trek
from a review today:
If enough people subscribe to the game — Needham said it could be a success with as few as 50,000 subscribers per month, compared to more than 11 million for Warcraft — the 80 to 120 hours of story included with the game disc
50,000 people. That a huge difference in number.
(c) 2010, Los Angeles Times.
February 1, 2010
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news...-entertainment
WoW's numbers are an aberration. Before WoW's perfect storm 200,000 was VERY good. WoW has essentially pulled the grading curve all out of whack.
Old February 2 2010, 08:06 AM   #765
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Champions Online with a Star Trek skin. I feel sorry for people who paid upfront.
Closed Thread