New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Farscape
Worth the trouble...watch it!!! 95 95.00%
It's okay. If you have the extra time, not bad. 5 5.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 1 2010, 09:40 AM   #16
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: FARSCAPE..worth the trouble?

Absol-frelling-lutely. Pick it up and enjoy. Hell, enjoy the first season as well. It's a lot better than most make it out to be.
Old February 1 2010, 11:59 AM   #17
mimic
Rear Admiral

I'm currently making my way through the show for the first time, and (like most shows) it definitely took some time for me to warm up to it. I liked it enough to keep watching, but it wasn't until around 2x05 that I really started getting into it. "Trippy" is definitely an accurate word.

"And since I do not go into nuclear reactor cores I am free to trouble my brain over artificial sweeteners." - Goji
mimic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2010, 12:26 PM   #18
Seven of Five
Commodore

I've just started watching it too. I'm seven episodes in so far and it's definately trippy! I've already warmed to the characters though, and the madness of the whole thing allows for some good humour. I'm also aware that it improves it's direction at some point, which is fine - I kind of like where it is at the moment.

So yeah, I'd say it's worth a go.
Seven of Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2010, 01:10 PM   #19
Mr Light
Admiral

It's one of the top five shows of all time! Definitely worth it! With the usual sci-fi addendum though; the first season isn't that great and takes some getting used to.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2010, 02:44 PM   #20
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Trouble? Effort? Not words I'd use to describe Farscape, unless put in a sentence with 'Farscape is no trouble/effort at all'. Fantastic show.
Old February 1 2010, 03:46 PM   #21
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Well, great. Looks like this show is getting some love here on BBS. We will watch the first episode sometime this week. My squeeze it in tonight after the new 24...

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2010, 05:24 PM   #22
Mistral
Vice Admiral

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Well, great. Looks like this show is getting some love here on BBS. We will watch the first episode sometime this week. My squeeze it in tonight after the new 24...

Rob
I dunno, I think you ought to squeeze a little 24 in around Farscape. Your friend got you the whole series? Dang, Rob, that's a pretty pile of change-the only reason I don't own the whole thing is the price. I would suggest 2 things-1:make sure you have The Peacekeeper Wars in your possession before you finish the series or you'll regret it. 2: Don't watch more than 1 or 2 episodes a day so as to make it last as long as possible. That way you're guaranteed a little goodness in your life everyday for a couple months. Once it is done you can never watch it for the first time again. (Exception-there is a 3 parter that should be watched all together).

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2010, 05:38 PM   #23
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Definitely. A wonderful series with a great characters.
Old February 1 2010, 05:45 PM   #24
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
No show in existence will appeal to everyone, and more than most Farscape isn't for everyone.
Certainly true. As far as cult sci-fi goes, if Babylon 5 is a show that requires you to be very tolerant of certain faults, Farscape is a show that requires you to like specific things. It's very, very excellent at what it does but what it does is weird, trippy, demented and odd.

That said, quite candidly, it's one of my most favourite space operas and TV shows in general. It is in fact the only TV series I have seen from start to finish twice; and I'm considering doing that a third time some day.
Old February 1 2010, 05:50 PM   #25
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
stonester1 wrote: View Post
HELL YEAH!!!!

I think it's a truly classic series. Now, I've no idea whether it's your thing. What other shows do you like?
I actually like anything (i'm easy..ahem!). But I trend towards DS9/Babylon 5/

Rob
Farscape is in my personal top ten, right along side these two you mention and the other four Star Trek series.

Watch it. You won't be sorry, or bored.

A friend of mine gave me his old DVD's of the new Battlestar Galactica, a show I had written off because I was tired of the the never ending-over the top angst and melodrama. He wanted me to like the show so much that he bought me new copies of season 4.5 and The Plan (he upgraded his to the Blue Ray complete series). I've been working my way nightly through both this and Farscape.

Farscape is the better show.

Does your set include the Peacekeeper Wars?

Last edited by RandyS; February 1 2010 at 06:07 PM.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2010, 06:03 PM   #26
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Can wrote: View Post
some initial episodes during Season 1 are mediocre at best and it is a struggle to watch a few of them.
This appears to be the popular view among the fans, and I have to say, I don't get it. Personally, I love those early episodes the best. I love the whole show, but there's a magic to the early first season that the rest of the series doesn't quite match. It's one of those rare series that was excellent right out of the gate.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2010, 06:41 PM   #27
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

To Farscape I say:

Good show.
Old February 1 2010, 06:48 PM   #28
galleywest
Hallowed Weenie

Can wrote: View Post
At the other hand however some initial episodes during Season 1 are mediocre at best and it is a struggle to watch a few of them.
I would agree with this to some extent. There were some episodes where they were obviously still getting a feel for where the series was going to go. By the end of S1 they've really got it down though, and even the more mediocre episodes are fun.

I will certainly say this for Farscape: it's one of the few series with very consistent quality of storyline. The major arcs move forward at a good pace and the individual episode plots are very entertaining and move the characters forward. I felt that it got better with each season and was wrapped up nicely in the Peacekeeper Wars. It's a very satisfying viewer experience.
Old February 1 2010, 07:07 PM   #29
LitmusDragon
Commodore

First time viewer here, I'm up to S3 at the moment, and yes it's definitely worth it.

Scorpius is probably my favorite sci-fi villain since Gul Dukat on DS9. Extremely memorable and well-acted character with a nice back story.
Old February 1 2010, 07:08 PM   #30
Checkmate
Commodore

Like I said before, once Crichton puts on the Peacekeeper uniform for the first time, the series takes off like a bat out of Hell. Up until then it's both the show and the audience trying to get a feel of each other.

Oddly enough, the only people I've ever personally met that didn't like the show didn't like it for the show itself, but simply because they use puppets for some of the aliens. (Of course, they're the same people who bitch and moan about Star Trek always having foreheaded "aliens," so I really don't know what the Hell they want!)

But considering both Rygel and Pilot are fascinating characters all on their own, those people can just frell off for all I care. It's also the first space fantasy in a long time where you care about the ship as much as the crew. I honestly hadn't felt that way since the original Star Trek. I <3 Moya.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote