Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 30 2010, 06:57 PM   #31
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Re: Space Battleship Yamamoto: The Movie

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
This actually looks pretty good. I say that without ever having seen an episode of the animated version, though I've seen lots of images from it.
I watched the dubbed, serialized US version when I was a kid and was amazed at how sophisticated it was. This movie looks fantastic.
FYI - The released a new Space battleship Yamato anime film in Japan very recently (12/12/09):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG56x...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8llG4Y1ca0U

One link is the redone opening theme; the second link is a promo bit they did prior to the release of the film. Since Space Cruiser Yamato was what got me into anime in highschool back in 1978 (I saw the compilation film where they KEPT the original names and story, and then later the Starblazers U.S. dub version of Quest for Iscandar) - but I have to say, I still love the Japanese version of the opening theme to this day.

Last edited by Noname Given; January 31 2010 at 04:22 AM. Reason: typos and spelling errors
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 08:19 PM   #32
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Lt. Trull wrote: View Post
Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
When are Japanese people going to stop making movies like Space Battleship Yamato?

Why shouldn't they? They have as much right as Americans do to make big budget sci-fi movies-the more, the merrier, I say.
he probably thinks bollywood shouldn't exist either.
It's a joke.
Old January 30 2010, 10:57 PM   #33
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

David cgc wrote: View Post
Lt. Trull wrote: View Post
Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post

Why shouldn't they? They have as much right as Americans do to make big budget sci-fi movies-the more, the merrier, I say.
he probably thinks bollywood shouldn't exist either.
It's a joke.
Thanks.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 11:12 PM   #34
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I just want to know if they will make Desslok blue!
Old January 30 2010, 11:17 PM   #35
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I just went to Youtube to hear the original Yamato opening, imagine my surprise to find that it's actually sung the same way as Star Blazers.

I wish the DVD's weren't so expensive, $130 is rather steep.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 11:19 PM   #36
Lookingglassman
Admiral

You are right about the DVDs. I know the starblazer website occasionally has deals on the sets so you might want to check there.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 11:20 PM   #37
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I just went to Youtube to hear the original Yamato opening, imagine my surprise to find that it's actually sung the same way as Star Blazers.
Yeah, same tune different words. It's awesome, tho. Nowadays, it's kinda the unofficial anthem of the Japanese Navy. They actually play it for official events and such.
Old January 30 2010, 11:45 PM   #38
Aragorn
Admiral

Theme songs for their cartoons are a pretty big deal. Singers actually perform them at concerts:

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2010, 05:02 AM   #39
Mr. Sin
Commander

se keeplein mind, if my English is not so good. The friend in industry pointed to me to this discussion. Moreover, I have not got angry such for a long time. We to whom you reason that we (Japanese) are not good cartoonists, and ? KI and we do not learn how to pull now worsen you. By mistake, it so dislikes a foreigner that this is not believed, and is a blind patriotism principle and bigotry, hubris. By the way, I am almost speaking to the map and the marine smallness animal. Getting to know that such ignorant people exist in the world reduces my impression about North America the top more. By the way, your President is foolish. Moreover, Florida is made spoilt. In Japan, it is the tradition which can be proud of our animation. Moreover, we have our style and style which differenings. It proposes that you take back I; insults it is [ insults ] an insult to suggest that we cannot pull. It does not have work by the New World Order. Please do not insult our culture and our drawing. Miyazaki is Kami. He can pull a Œy‘Å American better than you. They to which you, an American (your Disney movie), and people resemble rubber all animated [ to the existing excess ] and are unreal. There is "an emperor's new groove (New Groove)."You insulted the amount of cultural larges of mine and me. Please cancel what you said. Otherwise, other things in animation industry of Japan will hear it about this. Probably even Miyazaki is him himself.
Mr. Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2010, 05:38 AM   #40
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Wow.

Dude, relax, it's a taste thing. Dennis doesn't like anime, the style (or at least the stereotype, since all anime doesn't look the same). He wasn't slamming the whole of Japanese culture, or even anime itself. Just said it wasn't his thing.

Least I assume that's what you were talking about since it's kinda hard to tell. And if I got your position wrong, Dennis, please correct me.

Me, I love anime, but the idea that someone saying that it's not his thing would inspire a post like the above...

...is kinda funny.

Old January 31 2010, 07:29 AM   #41
iguana_tonante
Admiral

stonester1 wrote: View Post
Wow.

Dude, relax, it's a taste thing. Dennis doesn't like anime, the style (or at least the stereotype, since all anime doesn't look the same). He wasn't slamming the whole of Japanese culture, or even anime itself. Just said it wasn't his thing.
Yeah, calm down. Not everybody can like Japanese animation. Personally I love it, but I understand there are different tastes.

One thing I agree. Miyazaki kami desu.
Old January 31 2010, 08:03 PM   #42
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
This actually looks pretty good. I say that without ever having seen an episode of the animated version, though I've seen lots of images from it.
I watched the dubbed, serialized US version when I was a kid and was amazed at how sophisticated it was. This movie looks fantastic.
FYI - The released a new Space battleship Yamato anime film in Japan very recently (12/12/09):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG56x...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8llG4Y1ca0U

One link is the redone opening theme; the second link is a promo bit they did prior to the release of the film. Since Space Cruiser Yamato was what got me into anime in highschool back in 1978 (I saw the compilation film where they KEPT the original names and story, and then later the Starblazers U.S. dub version of Quest for Iscandar) - but I have to say, I still love the Japanese version of the opening theme to this day.
The images of the Yamato come up through the ice I thnk show just how animation has come since original was produced. While it could of been done by hand it would of probably been cost prohibitive.

Also point on the original - did they actually rebuilt the Yamato or was it used as tempate/cover? I seem to recall what was the wreck lying keel down on the what used to be the seafloor then the space going vessel blasting through.

Or am I wrong and what appeared to be the wreck the cover?

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2010, 08:09 PM   #43
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ Yamato breaking through the ice is epic! I had my volume up too loud which made it especially so.
Old January 31 2010, 08:20 PM   #44
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Mr. Sin wrote: View Post
Please cancel what you said. Otherwise, other things in animation industry of Japan will hear it about this. Probably even Miyazaki is him himself.
Oh no, not Miyazaki! You'd better run for it Dennis. A 70 year old man will be coming to your house to beat you up soon.

Jeez, a guy posted he doesn't like Japanese cartoons. No reason to take it so personally.

Anyway, I've never seen Yamamoto before, but this film does look pretty cool. I'll have to check out the anime.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2010, 08:45 PM   #45
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I'm impressed at Dennis's ability to irk people on a global scale.