Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old January 29 2010, 08:44 PM   #151
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 2

I'm sort of regretting not altering my class from Soldier to Vanguard at the beginning. I wanted to keep everything as was but the combat seams surprisingly challenging with guns only, especially with the number and variety of powers pared right down to just a handful compared to what they were. Not a bad thing since at least now the classes are much more distinct and well defined.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 09:02 PM   #152
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Soldier was kind of a joke in the first game, as you could keep the maxed immunity skill up constantly and it was pretty much like you were running in god mode. Now pretty much every class is forced to use cover. But I do like the variety of weapons at my disposal as a soldier. Use assault rifle most of the time, but if I feel like sniping I can, and for boss enemies protected by barriers/shields/armor, the Collector beam weapon chews through that stuff like crazy. None of that silly crowd control and debuffing, I just get straight to the killin'! Hardly ever use any of the soldier skills either.
Old January 29 2010, 09:18 PM   #153
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Not a bad thing since at least now the classes are much more distinct and well defined.
Eh... not really. The ONLY difference between the classes is how they go about killing stuff. Outside combat, they're EXACTLY the same. Everyone can hack/decrypt computers, safes, etc. since it's no longer tied to a skill, everyone has the same dialogue options, healing and repair skills don't exist anymore, everyone can wear the same armor, since there's no longer light/medium/heavy armor. It's been extremely pared down from the first game.
Old January 29 2010, 10:11 PM   #154
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Which I like. The classes should play differently in combat, but I should not have to waste points in Conversation skills or hacking skills.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 12:22 AM   #155
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
Not a bad thing since at least now the classes are much more distinct and well defined.
Eh... not really. The ONLY difference between the classes is how they go about killing stuff. Outside combat, they're EXACTLY the same. Everyone can hack/decrypt computers, safes, etc. since it's no longer tied to a skill, everyone has the same dialogue options, healing and repair skills don't exist anymore, everyone can wear the same armor, since there's no longer light/medium/heavy armor. It's been extremely pared down from the first game.
You could always hack anyway if you keep a balanced party, which you should be doing for obvious reasons. I was a Vanguard for most of my ME1 playthroughs, there were never anything I couldn't hack because I always had a tech with me.

Everyone does wear the same armor, but there are still some differences... the different shields that Sentinels get, for example.
Old January 30 2010, 03:04 AM   #156
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

The thing that bothers me about the simplification of the gear and powers is that they haven't improved the action. So they've taken away from the rpg elements without adding to the action elements, giving you kind of a shitty hybrid. I mean borderlands had a much better gear and power set up while still having excellent action. I hope the story in ME2 picks up to make up for this.
Old January 30 2010, 03:17 AM   #157
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

This game is nigh impossible on Insanity because of the strange AI issues. It's like the first Gears of War, where your partner would just run into the middle of fire for no good reason... except this time you only have a limited number of revives.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 09:11 AM   #158
Skywalker
Admiral

No words. Should have sent a poet...
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 09:35 AM   #159
AdAstra
Rear Admiral

I just ordered ME2 yesterday.

And I started ME again, to have at least one finished character (Paragon FemShep warrior).
Turns out my previous game got lost just before Virmire. A long way to go!

Last edited by AdAstra; January 30 2010 at 11:28 AM.
AdAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 11:17 AM   #160
Jax
Admiral

I've played over 8 and half hours of the game and I know I haven't touched much of the game so long which is soooo good. I got Garrius, did several side missions including getting Zeeds or whatever his name is loyalty. Currently doing getting Molan from Omega.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 11:25 AM   #161
Skywalker
Admiral

Heck, I'm still just exploring the Normandy.

ETA: Wow, scanning planets for resources is tedious as hell. I hope there aren't as many planets that can be surveyed as there were in ME1.

Last edited by Skywalker; January 30 2010 at 01:03 PM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 01:46 PM   #162
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

There seems to be 2-4 scannable planets per system and maybe 2-5 systems per galaxy, and about 15 galaxies. It still beats the hell out of having to roam around in your Mako and losing all your progress because a sand worm happened to spawn under your car. So far as I can tell there aren't set locations for the ore deposits, just an amount you can mine. So if you just look for the big ones you can save on probes or trips back to the fuel depot.
Old January 30 2010, 02:10 PM   #163
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Two things: A, the finale is really idiotic and I can see why John Davison knocked the game for it in his GamePro review.

B, Insanity is a pain in the ass. I feel bad for the people who had to test this game on that difficulty, because I would have broke a lot of things if I had to do certain levels over and over again trying to test out the balance (let alone playing Insanity with anything but Sentinel).

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 03:46 PM   #164
Jax
Admiral

Jusr got Jack and been upgrading everything left and right . I soooo love the banter between Joker and the AI of Normandy
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 04:10 PM   #165
bullethead
Fleet Captain

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Two things: A, the finale is really idiotic and I can see why John Davison knocked the game for it in his GamePro review.
Isn't this a problem in all of Bioware's games though?

That said, I fucking hate the fuel system. It makes no sense in terms of the codex stuff and forces me to waste money to get places. Plus, if there is a fuel efficiency upgrade, I haven't seen it, and I've gotten every ship upgrade you can get before picking up Jack.