Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 29 2010, 11:06 PM   #31
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Season DVD Packaging

Here's an update. Got my ink cartridges, printed out normal quality liners on regular letter paper.

I think they look great!
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 11:58 PM   #32
Ziz
Commodore

If you have the shelf space - and all of the series and films - Ric has two "monster" sets...

Ships Of The Line and
The Captains' Collection

and he even whipped up extensions and modifications for TAS
Old January 30 2010, 12:19 AM   #33
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Ziz wrote: View Post
If you have the shelf space - and all of the series and films - Ric has two "monster" sets...

Ships Of The Line and
The Captains' Collection

I wonder if Ric realizes that he's making me want to buy every single season of every show now?

Old January 30 2010, 12:41 AM   #34
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

For those having problems printing good covers due to margins, etc. try using UndercoverXP. It is a free program (donations requested, but not required) that is very easy to use and customize to almost any kind of DVD, CD or Blu-Ray case... including slim cases.

I have always used glossy photo paper to print covers because they look beautiful. I think it is worth the extra cost of paper and ink to print a photo quality cover.

Hope this helps.
Old January 30 2010, 01:21 AM   #35
Santa Claus
Believe

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
For those having problems printing good covers due to margins, etc. try using UndercoverXP. It is a free program (donations requested, but not required) that is very easy to use and customize to almost any kind of DVD, CD or Blu-Ray case... including slim cases.

I have always used glossy photo paper to print covers because they look beautiful. I think it is worth the extra cost of paper and ink to print a photo quality cover.

Hope this helps.
I definitely agree with the semi glossy or glossy photo paper. I'd do it except I can't seem to find my pack of it, so in my desire to make the covers, I just used regular paper. Still looks good, but the semi-glossy/glossy would make it stand out.

Old January 30 2010, 02:13 AM   #36
Ziz
Commodore

Axiom wrote: View Post
Ziz wrote: View Post

Ships Of The Line and
The Captains' Collection

I wonder if Ric realizes that he's making me want to buy every single season of every show now?
You ain't the first person to say that.

As far as printing the covers, most cover artists buy 13x19 paper in their sheen of choice then cut them down to 8.5x13 sheets.

To print the covers, I just use Windows Paint. Ready?
1) Fire up the cover in Paint.
2) File>Page Setup - Legal size paper, Landscape, Horiz & Vert centering checked, set all printer margins to 0; Paint will re-adjust them to your printer's minimum defaults.
3) File>Print in your printers Best/Highest quality mode.
4) Go back to step 1 with the next cover.

As long as you don't shut down Paint in between covers, it will retain the margin/orientation settings.
Old January 30 2010, 03:25 AM   #37
Madzilla
Lieutenant

View Madzilla's Twitter Profile

I have the UK ones - I like the bright colours of the US boxsets, but I found handling them a pain. I did get a couple of the region 2 plastic boxsets, but they were so expensive that I decided to wait for all the slimpaks. They were cool though; I especially liked the capsule-like Enterprise ones.

The only ones I still have in plastic are TOS and TAS (the latter hasn't been brought out in slimpak so far, don't know if it ever will be).

I do like the slimpaks, though, they look great together on the shelf - once again, the nicest set is probably Enterprise. You can't really tell here but they have a sort of glossy hologram effect and look really nice:

Here's all of VOY - I do like the ease of getting to the discs in their individual cases as opposed to the plastic boxsets.

Those cover printouts above are wonderful, I adore the Captains set.
Madzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 03:33 AM   #38
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

After buying Babylon 5 and Farscape on DVD last year, and getting a good comparison, the packaging for all of the Star Trek series is utter garbage. Don't get me wrong, the discs are the important thing and they are great, but the packaging looks like they were done from 5 year olds. The TNG sets are too bulky and big. The DS9 sets fall apart after the first run through of the series (Ripping much, even though it wasn't my fault?) and the VOY and Star Trek sets are the lesser of evils. What I like about the B5 and especially Farscape packaging is that they are compact yet easy to get to. I mean in one size of a TNG case, A&E was able to put in four seasons worth of Farscape. They are just really nice, and even though they are cardboard outers, it's so easy to get to. On the B5 cases, those are just really easy to get to with a nice outer shell. Paramount could learn a thing or two from those two sets.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 05:13 AM   #39
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

If anybody from Paramount is reading, I'm seriously holding out on buying DS9 and VOY because of the shoddy packaging. I would love to see them in slimcases with boxes like the BSG seasons, or better yet, the standard width cases that can hold up to six DVDs like Fox's Buffy, Angel and M*A*S*H are currently sold in.

I've got TOS in the single disc versions (since I already had most of the collection when the season sets came out, I just decided to finish it off) and I have the complete TNG set (which is in awful cases too, but I got a good price on it). But I can wait on the rest till they're in better cases.
Old January 30 2010, 06:19 AM   #40
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

$7.50 for a box of 10 from these guys:
http://www.genesysdtp.com/index.htm?8dvddetails.htm
Is there any other place you can get boxes like that? (I don't know if I need that many.)
Old January 30 2010, 06:38 AM   #41
Santa Claus
Believe

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
$7.50 for a box of 10 from these guys:
http://www.genesysdtp.com/index.htm?8dvddetails.htm
Is there any other place you can get boxes like that? (I don't know if I need that many.)
Yep. These guys charge 82 cents a piece with no minimum:
https://www.effectuality.com/store/i...tid=6&store=us

Old January 30 2010, 07:04 AM   #42
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

One other thing: The cover art guy says that legal size paper should be used. Is that true? (I don't know if my printer can handle legal size.)
Old January 30 2010, 07:16 AM   #43
Ziz
Commodore

Most printers can handle legal paper. Normal letter paper is 8.5x11. Legal is 8.5x14, so it's the same width, just more length. Most printers have a hinged flap or sliding arm to support the extra length.
Old January 30 2010, 07:17 AM   #44
Santa Claus
Believe

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
One other thing: The cover art guy says that legal size paper should be used. Is that true? (I don't know if my printer can handle legal size.)
I use standard size paper. It leaves about an 1/6" uncovered in the front and back. but it's not really noticeable.

Old January 30 2010, 04:54 PM   #45
Ziz
Commodore

Part of if you need to jump to legal size paper depends on your printer. If you can do "full bleed" printing that starts right at the paper edge instead of leaving a margin then you can squeeze most covers on standard paper.