Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 29 2010, 11:23 PM   #16
Cafcow
Ensign

View Cafcow's Twitter Profile
Re: My Star Trek fan art

B.J. wrote: View Post
Excellent work! Much better than I could do (I'm lousy at drawing people in any style).

My only nitpick is that even though this is highly stylized, the long necks and long thin bodies make them all look like young teenagers to me. But as long as this style works for you, feel free to ignore my comment!
Aw, thank you!

Yeah! I didn't even really notice wit till I finished it. I knew something was off, but couldn't tell. Then after I was done I looked at it and realized what it was. That's how it always seems to be for me. Looks fine till I'm done, then I realize what I did wrong. ]XD;;
I'm trying to be conscious of that on my newer pictures. ]:3

O'Dib wrote: View Post
Aw come on B.J., Sombrero man freaking rocked!

Cafcow, great work! Somehow, Archer is the only one that doesn't really scream "Archer!" to me, though.
Sombrero man ....that is awesome. ]XD

Thank you very much!
Yeah, I completely agree, he jsut didn't turn out good at all. ]XD;;

Ok, I seriously, SERIOUSLY hated the way these ones came out.
I can not draw Picard. No matter how many times I tried he either looked too old or too young.

Picard, Riker, Data, Worf
Geordi, Beverly, Tasha, Troi
Ro, Guinan, Q and Wesley 'yes, I am a Mary-Sue' Crusher

Cafcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2010, 12:36 AM   #17
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Yeah, well, the body shape was mostly traced from some superhero comic I found. Even though I planned it this way from the start for the character design, you'll notice I still cheated with the face by completely covering it up!

¡Viva El Sombrero!

Nice work on those characters, Cafcow! Most are instantly recognizable. Q definitely needs a mischievous little grin, though!
Old January 30 2010, 07:14 AM   #18
beverlyann59
Cadet

I like it.This is very cool.Thanks.

Old January 31 2010, 12:18 AM   #19
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Awesome vrion of the TNG characters there
Old February 1 2010, 09:47 AM   #20
Cafcow
Ensign

B.J. wrote: View Post
Yeah, well, the body shape was mostly traced from some superhero comic I found. Even though I planned it this way from the start for the character design, you'll notice I still cheated with the face by completely covering it up!

¡Viva El Sombrero!

Nice work on those characters, Cafcow! Most are instantly recognizable. Q definitely needs a mischievous little grin, though!
I looked Sombrero man up, that is great! ]XDDD

Thanks! Yes, you are completely right on that one. }XD

And thank you beverlyann59 and kaisernathan1701. ]:3

Here's the Voyager cast:
Janeway, Chakotay, Tuvok, Tom,
B'Elanna, Seven, The Doctor, Harry
Kes, Naomi Wildman, Reginald Barclay, Icheb, and Neelix

I forgot to draw Chakotay's tat so I had to draw it after I already finished (why it looks weird and too big).
I just can't draw bald people right. I need to practice that.
I put Barclay here because he appeared in VOY more then TNG (6 episodes in VOY and 5 in TNG (then of course he appeared in First Contact)). I love his character, so I had to add him. ]XD
I forgot to add the light reflections in Neelix's eyes, so they look weird. I couldn't find a close up picture of his eyes, but the picture I had they looked dark. I found a closer picture later and they were lighter, so I don't know if it was contacts that were forgotten, or if it was the lighting, but his eyes are wrong here...my bad.

Old February 2 2010, 04:39 PM   #21
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Awesome version of the Voyager characters

be awesome if they a new Star Trek Manga they get you as a artist
Old February 3 2010, 02:08 AM   #22
kes7
Fleet Captain

The following VOY characters have blue (or gray) eyes, not brown as shown:

Paris
Janeway
Kes
Icheb

Also, Neelix's eyes are yellowish.

I only mention it because in this artistic style, the eyes are huge, so they ought to be the right color.

Other than that minor quibble, these are so great! Love it.
Old February 3 2010, 09:50 AM   #23
Cafcow
Ensign

kaisernathan1701 wrote: View Post
Awesome version of the Voyager characters

be awesome if they a new Star Trek Manga they get you as a artist
Oh wow, that is very sweet of you to say, thank you very much. ]:3

kes7 wrote: View Post
The following VOY characters have blue (or gray) eyes, not brown as shown:

Paris
Janeway
Kes
Icheb

Also, Neelix's eyes are yellowish.

I only mention it because in this artistic style, the eyes are huge, so they ought to be the right color.

Other than that minor quibble, these are so great! Love it.
Yeah, I did mention that I made a mistake on Neelix's eyes. I couldn't find a lot of good close up pictures to get all the colors right.
Tom's and Kes's are blue, you just can't really see it with the picture size. thaks for informing me about Janeway's and Icheb's. ]:3

Old February 8 2010, 01:59 AM   #24
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain

View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile

Very impressive. Especially the female characters
Old February 8 2010, 04:30 AM   #25
Albertese
Commodore

I think your female characters look pretty good, but I wonder if it's just that they all have distinctive hairstyles. All the dudes look more or less the same. I think if you could find a way to characterize each person, they would read more like different characters. (This is especially true of the TOS crew. The the other crews have more gimmicks, like aliens and bald guys, but still...)Right now, they all basically have he same features. Try mixing it up with the jaw line and proportions. It can be tough when you are married to some particular style (in this case your take on anime). But look at most professionally designed characters and you'll see that the different characters are different enough to be distinguishable in just the uncolored line art of their heads.

Like I said, your girls are really good, but I'd like to see more variation on the guy's features.

--Alex
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2010, 07:30 AM   #26
Cafcow
Ensign

Albertese wrote: View Post
I think your female characters look pretty good, but I wonder if it's just that they all have distinctive hairstyles. All the dudes look more or less the same. I think if you could find a way to characterize each person, they would read more like different characters. (This is especially true of the TOS crew. The the other crews have more gimmicks, like aliens and bald guys, but still...)Right now, they all basically have he same features. Try mixing it up with the jaw line and proportions. It can be tough when you are married to some particular style (in this case your take on anime). But look at most professionally designed characters and you'll see that the different characters are different enough to be distinguishable in just the uncolored line art of their heads.

Like I said, your girls are really good, but I'd like to see more variation on the guy's features.

--Alex
Yeah, guys have always been hard for me. Especially when I'm first trying out a new character. I do really need to work on getting different facial features and shapes.
For the most part I draw younger adults/teenagers (a reason why these character all look young) for my stories. So I often fall back to drawing it more like that.

Bones, Kirk, Spock
Scotty, Chekov, Uhura, Sulu,
Pike, Amanda, Sarek
Gaila, Winona Kirk, George Kirk

I though about putting Spock Prime in there too, but since I already had him in the TOS crew, and I had AOS Spock here I decided to leave him out.

I try coloring Kirk's eyes differently then I usually do because they are just so blue that you wouldn't get that sense with my normal eye-coloring style. I'm still playing with it. But you can see one of my earlier attempts here.
Chekov's hair came out too big.

Old February 8 2010, 07:43 AM   #27
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain

View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile

What do use to draw them with? I take they're created digitally?
Old February 8 2010, 04:46 PM   #28
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Awesome NuTrek character art there

I hope Tokyopop is looking at these
Old February 9 2010, 08:29 AM   #29
Cafcow
Ensign

S3CT1ON31 wrote: View Post
What do use to draw them with? I take they're created digitally?
Yes and no. The finial product is digital, but I start off drawing it in a sketch book.

I use a "Light Blue" Col-Erase Prismacolor pencil to sketch the drawing, then I just re-draw over the picture with my pencil.
I scan it and use the Japanese art program "SAI" to line it. Then I take it into Photoshop (use PS Elements 7), color it, and shadow/highlight.

This is an old picture, but you can see the steps here:
http://cafcow.deviantart.com/art/Art-process-136952093

kaisernathan1701 wrote: View Post
Awesome NuTrek character art there

I hope Tokyopop is looking at these
Aw, thank you. ]:3

Even though Gaila was just a brief character in the movie I just really liked her what was seen of her personality. She kinda seemed quirky. So I've become a fan of KirkxGaila. ]XD;;
This picture was actually drawn earlier then the head shot group pictures.

I have a web comic going, and back in Sep. when the new Trek movie came to DVD I drew this picture up for this voting site my comic is connected to as a joke.
These are my characters The black haired girl is Spike (nickname), the little blue guy is Ploog, the golden blond girl is Sam, the light blond is Tori, and the redhead Teressa. (there are other male characters in the story, just these are the only characters that have shown up in the comic so far.) I though I'd post it for fun too.

Old February 9 2010, 03:54 PM   #30
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Great new arts