Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 29 2010, 07:28 AM   #16
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Season DVD Packaging

^ I just tried printing one out, and it didn't appear to fit - it looked smaller than the standard DVD case.

(Print driver won't let me select 0" margins. It did allow me to 'Fill entire paper' but then it cuts off the edge of the image. )
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 07:46 AM   #17
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ I just tried printing one out, and it didn't appear to fit - it looked smaller than the standard DVD case.

(Print driver won't let me select 0" margins. It did allow me to 'Fill entire paper' but then it cuts off the edge of the image. )
Go into any image program. I use Paint Shop Pro X2, but you don't have to use that. Freeware image editors like Photoscape, Paint.Net and Gimp will all let you do that. Also, remember to center the image first with your print options, so that you can cut the top white and bottom white strips off.

Anyhoo, here's what it looks like, and PLEASE keep in mind that I am out of ink and printing in fast draft mode, and that I was hasty with the scissors. Anyhoo:

"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 07:52 AM   #18
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ In the last image, why does the logo hang way off the edge like that? (i.e. the "ST" is too far to the left)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 08:04 AM   #19
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ In the last image, why does the logo hang way off the edge like that? (i.e. the "ST" is too far to the left)
Because they're made in such a way that they end up looking like this:

As you can see, the DVD cases together start to form an image of the title and the ship (well, except for the DS9 one on the end). Again, keep in mind that I have no ink and that this is fast draft quality and poor, poor handicrafts work on my part.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
Old January 29 2010, 08:15 AM   #20
species5618
Commodore

^^^Based on how they're going to look once you get the ink done (and how they looked on the website) I'd much rather have the season sets in an 8 disc case than what Paramount is selling them in--some of the early "Fan Collective" DVD sets I have house the discs in a flimsy brittle plastic book, and I assume the DS9/VOY sets use a similar sort of system.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
species5618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 12:00 PM   #21
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Axiom wrote: View Post
What are your experiences with the DVD packaging from any series or season?
Pretty good. Here in the UK, we've always got very elaborate hard shell cases styled vaguely on the show. TNG's sets are in silvery grey boxes that look like a tool box or something, with purple inside. DS9's are similar, although they're black (well, dark navy I think) with cardassian bumpy patterns all over them. Voyager's are similar to TNG but red with a white strip. They all have the actual discs inside smaller holders that unfold, with lots of artwork and images on them. They look really nice. TOS comes in similar hard shell cases but they literally split in half and the smaller insert rests in the middle of them. They're coloured yellow, blue and red, for the different seasons, and look amazing. Enterprise's box set are similar; they also split in half, but they're all silver colour with the blue inner boxes visible through the outer shell, like they're part of the warp core or something. I think these versions were released in the US as well, actually.

They've stopped doing these ones now, though. The current issue of box sets are all slim cardboard packaging, which I suppose is more convenient for storing them, but not nearly as cool.

I should take a photograph at some point. I've got the whole set of every series stacked up.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 12:07 PM   #22
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

species5618 wrote: View Post
^^^Based on how they're going to look once you get the ink done (and how they looked on the website) I'd much rather have the season sets in an 8 disc case than what Paramount is selling them in--some of the early "Fan Collective" DVD sets I have house the discs in a flimsy brittle plastic book, and I assume the DS9/VOY sets use a similar sort of system.
I'm excited because my ink will arrive today. I'll post pictures once I get the chance, probably this evening. It might sound silly, but this is a relief for me. I have watched several discs this evening, and it's so easy just to switch them out. I can find the disc I want in a split second, flip to it, get it out and watch it, put it back in and do it all in a couple of seconds. No balancing the case on my knee while I unfold it, no navigating broken plastic and trying to keep the discs safe, no sharp plastic slicing my fingers.

I love it.

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Pretty good. Here in the UK, we've always got very elaborate hard shell cases styled vaguely on the show. TNG's sets are in silvery grey boxes that look like a tool box or something, with purple inside. DS9's are similar, although they're black (well, dark navy I think) with cardassian bumpy patterns all over them. Voyager's are similar to TNG but red with a white strip. They all have the actual discs inside smaller holders that unfold, with lots of artwork and images on them. They look really nice. TOS comes in similar hard shell cases but they literally split in half and the smaller insert rests in the middle of them. They're coloured yellow, blue and red, for the different seasons, and look amazing. Enterprise's box set are similar; they also split in half, but they're all silver colour with the blue inner boxes visible through the outer shell, like they're part of the warp core or something. I think these versions were released in the US as well, actually.

They've stopped doing these ones now, though. The current issue of box sets are all slim cardboard packaging, which I suppose is more convenient for storing them, but not nearly as cool.

I should take a photograph at some point. I've got the whole set of every series stacked up.
Please do. I would be interested in seeing that packaging.
Old January 29 2010, 12:20 PM   #23
Piper
Fleet Captain

The US DS9 and VOY DVD packaging is horrendous, especially the DS9 sets - the plastic foldings come apart so easily it's absurd. The VOY ones look cheap and tacky and the "pages" crack very easily. Horrible.

Those alternative covers look very good though.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 12:29 PM   #24
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Piper wrote: View Post
The US DS9 and VOY DVD packaging is horrendous, especially the DS9 sets - the plastic foldings come apart so easily it's absurd. The VOY ones look cheap and tacky and the "pages" crack very easily. Horrible.

Those alternative covers look very good though.
Oh yeah. The DS9 DVD S3 cut me several times before it finally fell apart.
Old January 29 2010, 01:45 PM   #25
Trek Survivor
Captain

I actually way prefer the newer style. The fact you can get a complete season for ten quid is a bonus, but I just prefer the art work, and the fact they take up way less space.

For those who haven't seen them, take a look:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Ne...769085&sr=1-16

They've released all of TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT in this packaging.

It seems to get a hard time from fans, but I think they look great!
Old January 29 2010, 02:00 PM   #26
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Here's my TNG (and TOS) ones, with a new slimline version for comparison. I personally prefer the new ones for convenience, it's annoying having to get the booklet out to find out what disc your episode of choice is on then unfold the ridiculously long digipak to get to it. On the new ones you've got 5 slim cases with the episode information printed on the back, much less hassle. The TOS ones are a hassle too, but you don't have to fold out a huge digipak to get to the discs, they're in more of a "book" format.

The old ones do look cool though.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 02:14 PM   #27
Arix
Lieutenant Commander

Geckothan wrote: View Post

Here's my TNG (and TOS) ones, with a new slimline version for comparison. I personally prefer the new ones for convenience, it's annoying having to get the booklet out to find out what disc your episode of choice is on then unfold the ridiculously long digipak to get to it. On the new ones you've got 5 slim cases with the episode information printed on the back, much less hassle. The TOS ones are a hassle too, but you don't have to fold out a huge digipak to get to the discs, they're in more of a "book" format.

The old ones do look cool though.
These are the ones mentioned in this post -

Which also happen to be the ones I own.

They look freakin awesome, even if they're a little inconvenient - I prefer the plastic to cheap cardboard!

A quick Google search to demonstrate the other styles (TNG, DS9 and Voyager have the same type of box, which is also the easiest to open) -

You can take off the stickers of the crew's faces on the Enterprise boxes.
Old January 29 2010, 02:53 PM   #28
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

I like the new Packaging as well.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 03:12 PM   #29
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

I cannot stand the TNG packaging. Getting those folding "books" out of the outside box is nearly impossible without shaking my fist and cursing at the gods!!! I don't have a problem with Voy or DS9's. And i just went to the Blu-rays on TOS and they're fine as well. It's just TNG ones that drive me batty.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 07:35 PM   #30
StarshipDefiant
Captain

Just for those who want a slimline type case, this is what I now have for the TNG seasons 1-3 and DS9 S3:

$7.50 for a box of 10 from these guys:
http://www.genesysdtp.com/index.htm?8dvddetails.htm

All I have to do now is print the labels for them that I downloaded from these guys:
http://www.rixgrafix.com/index_342.htm

They work beautifully, and hold 8 discs each. I stored my boxes away just in case I needed them. The TNG boxes weigh a ton! I was holding one after I removed all the DVDs and you could have swore on a stack of Bibles that all the DVDs were still in there. They are very heavy.
These are pretty cool cases, they're along the lines of what I was talking about, except that they are the width of a single DVD case. I find that those or the ones you posted feel better, for reasons you and others have mentioned, easier to get them, store better, etc...
StarshipDefiant is offline   Reply With Quote