Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 22 2010, 08:46 PM   #31
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Re: NCC-1701 USS Enterprise Deck by Deck - WIP

TowerPower wrote: View Post
So, once this task is done (and I know it will be done), is it possible to export your work into a "game level" format where walk-abouts cane be done? That is something I've wanted to have for a long time, but don't have the talent to take it on - don't even know how to start. What I'm talking about is something like the "Elite Force" mod for the Argas Effect.
Reading my mind! Would love to see something like this as well, if possible.

Last edited by 137th Gebirg; January 22 2010 at 10:24 PM.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2010, 10:19 PM   #32
havoc92
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to havoc92

So, once this task is done (and I know it will be done), is it possible to export your work into a "game level" format where walk-abouts cane be done? That is something I've wanted to have for a long time, but don't have the talent to take it on - don't even know how to start. What I'm talking about is something like the "Elite Force" mod for the Argas Effect.
Actually, the intent was to export it for Oblivion and/or Unreal engines.
Old January 26 2010, 08:25 PM   #33
TowerPower
Commander

havoc92 wrote: View Post
Actually, the intent was to export it for Oblivion and/or Unreal engines.
You would have to have a game to load it into, right? The Argas Effect used the Voyager: Elite Force game for mod. What game will your mod go into best?
TowerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2010, 09:18 PM   #34
JJohnson
Captain

Here's Doug Drexler's interior for reference.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2010, 10:25 AM   #35
Mytran
Fleet Captain

I'm not sure compatible that is with the FJ designs (which seem to be the primary inspiration here).
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2010, 12:38 PM   #36
havoc92
Commander

Mytran wrote: View Post
I'm not sure compatible that is with the FJ designs (which seem to be the primary inspiration here).
The thought is appreciated; but, nope.. it isn't compatible.

Edit:

Thought I'd go ahead and throw in a progress report. The skins for decks 2-4 are trimmed to deck 4 now and in place. The dorsal skins have likewise been trimmed to both hulls and are in place. The poly count now is so high that I can't do an overview shot for the moment; so, I've begun phase 2. I'm cleaning her up starting with deck 7 - which happens to be the most bloated on polycount of all the decks. And it is sheer tedium! I'm making lots of headway; but, there are likely not to be any pics for a bit while I do this.

Along with this, I'm chopping main engineering and the shuttlebay from the several decks they're attached to and making them their own seperate mesh. I couldn't find a way to make that work otherwise for the purposes of the game engines; so, the decision there is pretty much made. It will be a differentiation between the base model and the game version.

Last edited by havoc92; January 28 2010 at 12:59 PM.
havoc92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2010, 04:04 PM   #37
BrookeStephen
Lieutenant Commander

I like this cross-section... but I am biased...

BrookeStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2010, 03:24 PM   #38
JJohnson
Captain

Hey, in case you were wondering about the color of the original Enterprise, here's Doug Drexler's article about it. It could be helpful for you.

James
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2010, 08:27 PM   #39
havoc92
Commander

JJohnson wrote: View Post
Hey, in case you were wondering about the color of the original Enterprise, here's Doug Drexler's article about it. It could be helpful for you.

James
Thank you!! There is also a link in there to the studio model restoration with TONS of pics. Hadn't seen that; but, the site hosting also has a restoration of the D7 studio model and tons of other stuff that should be quite useful in the future.
Old February 4 2010, 03:07 AM   #40
AnyStar
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to AnyStar

^ if it helps, here's a couple more photo documentaries of the E and tos D7
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=8672
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=8656
Old February 12 2010, 04:44 PM   #41
havoc92
Commander

AnyStar wrote: View Post
^ if it helps, here's a couple more photo documentaries of the E and tos D7
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=8672
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=8656

Ok, lest anyone feel I'm slacking

The cleanup is tedious; but, ongoing. I divided cleanup into three phases: High poly, low poly and final. The final phase is where I will break engineering and the shuttlebay away. There is no real reason to do this on the high poly model; so, it will only be addressed on the low poly model. That said, the nacelles are now being trimmed for export and that will finish the high poly cleanup phase. After that, all the decks will be exported and then they will be trimmed again for the low poly. For now, the high poly model will retain the built in floors. The low poly will not. They will be blown out where geographically possible. Deck 7 has
rises in the outer rings that must be part of the structure on export as it would present a real problem to duplicate in bsp. It will make for a fat mesh; but, I don't see a way around it.

Now, I should also throw out there the fact that I've trimmed a few small decks in between doing decks 6, 7 and 8. I took on doing 8 because, though already exportable, it was nearly as poly fat as deck 6 and shouldn't have been. I cut it in half in two days. Deck 6 took two days as well. Deck 7 required a week to trim down. If I could find more to trim I'd still be on it. But as of now, any more trimming there would start affecting geometry in ways I don't want to.

The nacelles are likely to take a while as well. The poly count there is 59, 775 - 6k less than deck 7 was when I started it and, unfortunately, it will likely prove far more difficult to trim down; so, I may have to break up the internals into exportable modules (yech). We'll see. I started work on that today.

I can't say this is going to go quickly. Though, I can say it should go much more quickly after tha nacelles are finished as all the decks from here on out will be much smaller. Back to work..
Old February 12 2010, 10:58 PM   #42
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

This is major coolness with a big side of awesome salad.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2010, 06:21 AM   #43
abaldwin360
Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to abaldwin360 Send a message via Yahoo to abaldwin360

Good god man. That's amazing!
abaldwin360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2010, 03:58 AM   #44
ghoyle1
Lieutenant

This project makes me want to have done it myself. Well done! Can't wait to see how you progress!
ghoyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2010, 05:03 PM   #45
havoc92
Commander

ghoyle1 wrote: View Post
This project makes me want to have done it myself. Well done! Can't wait to see how you progress!
Thank you. Pulling my hair out right now. The cleanup has been really slow. Probably doesn't help that I've taken breaks because of how tedious it really is; but, getting there. Should be into detailing soon