Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 25 2010, 04:30 AM   #331
Uncle Tobias
Lieutenant

Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

David cgc wrote: View Post
Well, I sure hope Billy Adama doesn't die, because if so, we all just spoilered ourselves something fierce.
"Adama is a Cylon"
Old January 25 2010, 04:42 AM   #332
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Maybe the real Bill Adama did go into the matrix and eventually became a cylon. The Bill Adama we know could be any random child Joseph took in later and renamed William. Wouldn't that be something?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old January 25 2010, 05:04 AM   #333
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Uncle Tobias wrote: View Post
"Adama is a Cylon"
...is right!

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Maybe the real Bill Adama did go into the matrix and eventually became a cylon. The Bill Adama we know could be any random child Joseph took in later and renamed William. Wouldn't that be something?
Yes, that would be something, and I agree that it would help solve the age problem.

Too much speculation. Let's see if this actually comes to pass.
Old January 25 2010, 05:47 AM   #334
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Something shocking's going to come to pass around midseason-ish, if both that article and Esai Morales aren't blowing smoke. I don't know why they'd make it up. We shall see.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old January 25 2010, 06:53 AM   #335
Aragorn
Admiral

ADAMA: "I can't let William die again!"

ASTRID: "What did you just say?"
Old January 25 2010, 11:38 AM   #336
lennier1
Commodore

Aragorn wrote: View Post
ADAMA: "I can't let William die again!"

ASTRID: "What did you just say?"
Like this?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old January 26 2010, 04:20 AM   #337
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Well, I sure hope Billy Adama doesn't die, because if so, we all just spoilered ourselves something fierce.
It's not really a spoiler when it's speculation...

And I've found the stuff I think will happen usually doesn't.
Old February 2 2010, 10:10 PM   #338
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

"Above Average": Definitely enjoyed it, and I think the show has a lot of potential. Some scenes in particular towards the end were fascinating, I thought.

Having said that it didn't quite grab me the way nuBSG did back in the day. But I'm still very much looking forward to following it and seeing how it develops. I certainly hope it will get a shot at a full run.
Old February 3 2010, 09:22 AM   #339
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

It's a common conceit in Sci-Fi that AIs need to be transferred, as opposed to copied. It happens all the time in movies, shows, novels, video games...
If they're using memory that is based on quantum computing principles where entanglement is used to transfer data, I guess you can sort of rationalise away the inability to make a copy.
Old February 3 2010, 10:30 AM   #340
Lord Garth

I enjoy Caprica more than seasons 3 and 4 of Battlestar Galactica and it tackles its subject matter in a way that I think is superior to the first two seasons of Galactica: strife, religious conflict, and terrorism. Also, unlike on BSG, artificial intelligence actually feels to me like it's artificial intelligence.

I don't know if there's multiple seasons worth of material here but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Old February 3 2010, 12:56 PM   #341
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

I didn't watch the version that Sky broadcast in the UK, but I've viewed the region 1 DVD. I hear the breast content was edited out. If anyone has seen both versions, was anything substantive omitted that might affect future plot developments?

There is a deleted nightclub scene on the DVD that I wasn't sure whether it was excluded for reasons of drama or plot. It'll be interestering to see which as the season unfolds.

Last edited by Asbo Zaprudder; February 3 2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old February 4 2010, 12:34 AM   #342
Harvey
Admiral

The re-edited version eliminated the nudity, which really isn't a big deal. It seemed ready to be subtracted in the DVD version anyway. In addition, it includes several new wide shots which expand the world of Caprica a great deal, as well as a completely new version of the scene where Joseph, Willy, and Daniel watch the C-Bucks. Zoe's line about the storage capacity of the human brain has also been re-dubbed, to a more believable number.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old February 4 2010, 01:15 AM   #343
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
I enjoy Caprica more than seasons 3 and 4 of Battlestar Galactica .
This I can definitely agree with. Maybe it's because it's new. Maybe it's because it's more comfortable calling itself a "soapy" series. Maybe it's the story itself. But Caprica's first two episodes are more enjoyable than most of nuBSG's seasons 3 & 4 (a few individual episodes -- "Sometimes A Great Notion" for example -- notwithstanding).
Old February 4 2010, 01:30 AM   #344
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

It's really a shame what happened to BSG in its 3rd and 4th seasons. It went so far downhill with an occasional episodic exception. After the new Caprica escape....it faltered. Keeping Caprica character based will be a saving grace, I hope.

Old February 4 2010, 10:49 PM   #345
NIUPonyBoy
Captain

Send a message via AIM to NIUPonyBoy Send a message via Yahoo to NIUPonyBoy

Having seen the first two episodes ondamand... I am not sure how I feel about it yet.

The sweeping visuals are good for a TV show, kind of reminds me of the short lived Kings on NBC, and the writing isn't bad.

That said... I like the idea of showing how the cylon's were created and that could build into the cylon uprising and first war. Slowly building to that is fine with me as long as there is a real driving plot and decent writing and characters. So far the plot is a little weak to me, just because so far it is based on teenage angist. Not something I really give a crap about now, or in a gaxely far far away and sometime in the past. However, it is is a pretty intresting show so far, I will watch it to see where it goes; it has pretty decent potential. I also like the underlying "racism" between the different colonies. It could provide some believeable extra-plot drama.

But just so I get it... the first cylon centurian is a pissed off 'quasi-terrorist' teenage girl?