TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 25 2010, 02:56 AM   #46
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5

Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
Although I've rarely found B5 dull even at its worst, those first four episodes contain what I consider two of the worst episodes the show ever did (Soul Hunter and Infection) and though I personally enjoyed the other two, I know that many fans aren't crazy about them.
Oh gods, I remember hating those two episodes. I felt that Midnight on the Firing Line was okay, but Soul Hunter made me want to give up. I gave the show another shot with Born to the Purple only to be disappointed, so after that I waited a week or two before moving on to Infection, and that episode successfully killed my interest in the show. One of the reasons why I'm doing this thread is that I hope it will give me a motivation to continue past the rough first season, just like the Voyager thread helped me get through that show's third season.

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
This could be amusing. Sometimes these types of threads devolve into idiotic "I know better than you" / "you're wrong" / "if you (dis)like this you're an imbecile" gibberish
Hmm, sounds almost exactly like my M.O.
Old January 25 2010, 04:03 AM   #47
Hyperspace05
Commodore

So if you saw those episodes, where did you post the reviews? Or are you just going to post them when you finish the season?
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 04:05 AM   #48
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
...Soul Hunter made me want to give up.
Well, the dialogue on the show rarely got as bad as it was in Soul Hunter.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 04:23 AM   #49
Forbin
Admiral

A four page thread on B5 just since I last logged on this morning!?!?

I'm never gonna get a chance to read the whole thread.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 05:05 AM   #50
RoJoHen
Awesome

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
As someone who also has never watched B5, I'll be following this thread intently as well, so I'll finally know what the hell everybody is talking about.
Maybe you should start watching it, too!

The last time there was a big thread like this, it motivated me to re-watch it from the beginning, and it was even more awesome than the first time.
Old January 25 2010, 05:34 AM   #51
Harvey
Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
...Soul Hunter made me want to give up.
Well, the dialogue on the show rarely got as bad as it was in Soul Hunter.
And that was the heavily re-written version of the script, too. But I'm not big on the first season, which basically comes down to six episodes that really matter and a lot of mediocre universe-building (which, in retrospect, has a little more value, but not a lot more). IMO.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 07:58 AM   #52
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
This could be amusing. Sometimes these types of threads devolve into idiotic "I know better than you" / "you're wrong" / "if you (dis)like this you're an imbecile" gibberish
Hmm, sounds almost exactly like my M.O.
I was being polite for a change, but if you want to own up that's okay, too.
Old January 25 2010, 08:04 AM   #53
StarshipDefiant
Captain

I personally thought the first six episodes of season one (Especially "Soul Hunter" and "Infection") were kind of "meh" even worst that I ended up seeing them about a half a dozen times before I was able to get going on the series and fully watch it. Aside from some set ups and character establishment, this episode (or even some characters) don't really mean much in the long run.

Give it another ago, and get past the first six, and you'll be glad (maybe) you did, I know I was. I sat though them, finally fell in love with the show and kept with it to the end.
StarshipDefiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 08:22 AM   #54
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Of the first 6, Soul Hunter and Infection were the ones I didn't really like. I really liked Born to the Purple, and people didn't like Bester's first episode, Mind War? I thought that was one of the season's best?

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 08:27 AM   #55
StarshipDefiant
Captain

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Of the first 6, Soul Hunter and Infection were the ones I didn't really like. I really liked Born to the Purple, and people didn't like Bester's first episode, Mind War? I thought that was one of the season's best?
"Mind War" was pretty good, and reminded me of why Sinclair just reeks of bad assery.
StarshipDefiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 09:04 AM   #56
Kegg
Rear Admiral

As far as appeal goes, I think B5 is basically a cult show because you simply have to be willing to overlook a lot of problems, like acting, SFX, music and occasionally writing - be someone willing and inclined to appreciate the show for its broader scope and all that. Something like nuBSG isn't as good when it comes to the big picture and the answers to the big questions, but it's also rather superior in all of those other fiddly little details (which are far more important for any show on a day-to-day basis).

Basically, you've just got to be a geek. We're more than patient for all of this if we just get our little bit of space opera world building on the side; and B5 is one of the best concieved space opera universes on TV, full of epic sweeping political stuff and character arcs, so naturally some go gaga.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
It's always so silly to me how people proclaim these sorts of things so matter-of-factly.
Well, they are wrong. Farscape is the greatest sci-fi show of all time.
I will concede this point.
This is factually true.

Oh gods, I remember hating those two episodes. I felt that Midnight on the Firing Line was okay, but Soul Hunter made me want to give up. I gave the show another shot with Born to the Purple only to be disappointed, so after that I waited a week or two before moving on to Infection, and that episode successfully killed my interest in the show.
Hence the great wisdom of that guy who made me watch In the Beginning first. I would never have stuck with season one without it ringing in my ears, to be perfectly honest, and even if it's a too spoilerific opening it's still one of the better outings of the franchise.
Old January 25 2010, 09:20 AM   #57
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

By the way, a website you may want to check out as you're watching the series is the Lurker's Guide, where a bunch of info regarding episodes and discussion from JMS is included. Most of it was done as the episodes aired, so there isn't anything that'll heavily spoil subsequent episodes so long as you only read its contents after you've watched an episode.

It's very... enlightening.
Old January 25 2010, 03:45 PM   #58
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

StarshipDefiant wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
"Mind War" was pretty good, and reminded me of why Sinclair just reeks of bad assery.
"Mind War" was pretty damned cool.

Harvey wrote: View Post
And that was the heavily re-written version of the script, too. But I'm not big on the first season, which basically comes down to six episodes that really matter and a lot of mediocre universe-building (which, in retrospect, has a little more value, but not a lot more). IMO.
Oh, there were seven or eight good episodes - stories only "matter" if they're good, not because they fit into and advance some kind of "arc." It doesn't help that the metastory in B5 was mediocre, derivative and ended in a sham climax ("Get out of our galaxy!").
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 05:12 PM   #59
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 05:24 PM   #60
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

It's definitely possible to enjoy both DS9 and Babylon 5.

<---Living Proof right here.

It was certainly a much better show after season 1 though.