Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 24 2010, 11:38 PM   #31
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5

I saw the version of The Gathering with the cheesy guitar music, was that the original one?
Old January 24 2010, 11:45 PM   #32
Hyperspace05
Commodore

TheGodBen, as a long-time B5 fan I am very interested in reading your viewpoint of the series, no matter what you will think of it.

It will be an interesting read, just like Tomalak's excellent thread was last year.

[megaphone]BUT EVERYONE, PLEASE WATCH THE SPOILERS. NO NEED TO DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND WHAT HE IS REVIEWING.[/megaphone]
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 11:47 PM   #33
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
I saw the version of The Gathering with the cheesy guitar music, was that the original one?
Yep, sounds like it.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 11:52 PM   #34
Skywalker
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
apenpaap wrote: View Post
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
...people are constantly calling it the greatest sci-fi show of all time...
They are wrong.

It's always so silly to me how people proclaim these sorts of things so matter-of-factly.
Well, they are wrong. Farscape is the greatest sci-fi show of all time.

Looking forward to the reviews, Ben. Speaking of Farscape, maybe after B5 and DS9 you could check that out? If you haven't seen it, I think you'll like it.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 11:52 PM   #35
Seven of Five
Commodore

Yeah. The edited version had a new Christopher Franke score.
Seven of Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 11:52 PM   #36
Neroon
Mod of balance

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
Yep, sounds like it.
Stewart Copeland of The Police fame scored that one. The second version of "The Gathering" was commissioned by TNT, and put back in some footage that had been edited out. My feeling is the completist needs to see both versions to get a proper feel for the movie.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 11:56 PM   #37
RoJoHen
Awesome

Skywalker wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post

They are wrong.

It's always so silly to me how people proclaim these sorts of things so matter-of-factly.
Well, they are wrong. Farscape is the greatest sci-fi show of all time.
I will concede this point.
Old January 25 2010, 12:06 AM   #38
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Great Mambo Chicken wrote: View Post
Sykonee wrote: View Post
I'm watching the DVD version, but now I'm upset that there's not going to be a gorilla bartender.
If it's the same one as from the Movie DVD Package, then the gorilla bartender is present. At least on my version it is.
Great maker, you may be correct. Perhaps I automatically close my eyes when the gorilla makes an appearance, or maybe he was onscreen for longer in the original version. Otherwise, I'll just pretend he was in transit from David Brin's uplift universe.
Oh he's defiantly still their in a few background shots, though they've clearly tried to edit around him as much as possible.
Exactly how much control or oversight did JMS have at this point? Though I realise B5 was still very much a work in progress at that point, I can't see how some of the sillier elements would have got past him.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 12:08 AM   #39
BorgPhil
Lieutenant Commander

I might try and watch this alongside you, I'm a massive B5 (and DS9) fan, and have needed an excuse to watch it again.

I always thought that DS9 was the better series overall, but B5 at its peak was outstanding, DS9 couldn't match that.

Both excellent series though.
BorgPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 12:27 AM   #40
Jan
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post
Exactly how much control or oversight did JMS have at this point? Though I realise B5 was still very much a work in progress at that point, I can't see how some of the sillier elements would have got past him.
I'm pretty sure he had full control but The Gathering was his first shot as Exec. Producer and his first time responsible for editing the final cut of the movie and his tendency to defer to more experienced people shows.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 01:12 AM   #41
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
OTOH, anything that actually spent twenty-two episodes "setting the scene" instead of putting the absolute best work they could right up front would be an automatic and pretty thorough FAIL. Even if your best at the time is halting or inconsistent - ie, TNG - you have to go for it. No "plan" justifies any less.
The idea was that if they spent the time to show what "normal" was, then it would be more effective when they turned everything on its head.
It doesn't matter what the idea was - to do it that way would be a thorough waste of time and resources. Every episode should be the very best on its own that it can be.

In fact it's not my impression that the series comes together that way at all - the first year is some of the best stuff IMAO - so it's a moot point to me.

middyseafort wrote: View Post
As much as I love the entirety of season three when all that "triggers get pulled," I prefer the first two seasons because of the variety and creativity...
Yep. Seasons one and two are the most interesting. Overall, though, the series is a great mediocrity and an example of failed potential. This is why despite a dedicated core fan base that keeps the memory of the show alive the audience for it has never grown substantially - there's not a lot of "there," there.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 01:22 AM   #42
Neroon
Mod of balance

I couldn't disagree more about the reasons for the series' success. Certainly B5 hasn't had the notoriety of BSG, but then it never had the corporate backing that show or TNG as another example ever did. Personally, I felt the series accomplished its goals for the most and did so well. Along with that there were certainly shortcomings and missed marks; that can't be denied.

Your opinion is certainly valid and I respect your qualifications, but I see it as being in the minority as to which seasons are the best. At least based upon my encounters at various conventions and computer bulletin boards. To call the series a mediocrity depends much upon subjective material. In the end the series is not so widely know, but that hardly means it is mediocre.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2010, 01:54 AM   #43
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

...people are constantly calling it the greatest sci-fi show of all time...
They are wrong.
Your opinion being so much more authoritative and correct than theirs, presumably?

This could be amusing. Sometimes these types of threads devolve into idiotic "I know better than you" / "you're wrong" / "if you (dis)like this you're an imbecile" gibberish (as we've already seen), and I end up avoiding them. Here's hoping this one won't go down that track.
Old January 25 2010, 02:00 AM   #44
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
I couldn't disagree more about the reasons for the series' success. Certainly B5 hasn't had the notoriety of BSG, but then it never had the corporate backing that show or TNG as another example ever did. Personally, I felt the series accomplished its goals for the most and did so well. Along with that there were certainly shortcomings and missed marks; that can't be denied.

Your opinion is certainly valid and I respect your qualifications, but I see it as being in the minority as to which seasons are the best. At least based upon my encounters at various conventions and computer bulletin boards. To call the series a mediocrity depends much upon subjective material. In the end the series is not so widely know, but that hardly means it is mediocre.
Indeed. IMO, it's a landmark in science fiction, especially TV science fiction, and it's one of the shows that pioneered it's use of the "arc" or "novel" form.

A new Babbler! Aww...cute...looking forward to his exploration!

Jealous, too. B5 is one of those shows that, if it's your kind of show, AMAZES the first time through.

And that media centric ep you mentioned, B5 had two of them. Both were favs of mine.
Old January 25 2010, 02:42 AM   #45
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

As someone who also has never watched B5, I'll be following this thread intently as well, so I'll finally know what the hell everybody is talking about.