New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 24 2010, 09:02 PM   #16
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5

sojourner wrote: View Post
You can skip season 5, it's the definition of "tacked on".
The first half, maybe. But the second half is some of my favorite stuff from the whole show!

That said, Season 1 is pretty standard Season 1 stuff. Lots of random aliens-of-the-week, standalone stories, but it does help to set up a lot of stuff for future years. Just don't let its mediocrity discourage you from continuing.
Old January 24 2010, 09:33 PM   #17
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
You mean there are Irish fans of the show?
Apparently there's a small number of them in hiding. My sister was one of the original fans from when it aired on Channel 4, and if anybody even walked into the room while she was watching a new episode she got pissed off, much like I do if anybody walks in on me while I watch those videos I have on my hard drive. She was one of the people that went out and spread the gospel of Babylon 5 back before it was considered nerdy to do so.

I've lived in the shadow of this show for over 15 years, I've been told for almost two thirds of my life that it is the greatest thing ever to air. So there's no pressure on it.

Great Mambo Chicken wrote: View Post
There are two versions of "The Gathering". The original version (1993) had the Stewart Copeland score. the "zoo tour", and the gorilla bartender. JMS' later re-edit (1998) had a new score by Christopher Franke and included the prophetic foreshadowing by Kosh. The original version is available on iTunes but not on DVD.

Which one are you reviewing?
I'm watching the DVD version, but now I'm upset that there's not going to be a gorilla bartender.
Old January 24 2010, 09:41 PM   #18
Neroon
Mod of balance

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The first half, maybe. But the second half is some of my favorite stuff from the whole show!
Definitely, although I think "Day of the Dead" is another one I like. It has its problems, however, it's written by Neil Gaiman, which imho makes it worth checking out.

"The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari" and "A View From the Gallery" are two other episodes which merit watching. Some good character moments, though nothing all that arc-related.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 10:08 PM   #19
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I'm watching the DVD version, but now I'm upset that there's not going to be a gorilla bartender.
If it's the same one as from the Movie DVD Package, then the gorilla bartender is present. At least on my version it is.

This should prove to be an entertaining thread...
Old January 24 2010, 10:31 PM   #20
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Eventually I decided to give the show a chance and I watched the first four episodes of season 1 (I didn't know about The Gathering) and I found it to be so dull that I tried watching Firefly and Rome instead.
Although I've rarely found B5 dull even at its worst, those first four episodes contain what I consider two of the worst episodes the show ever did (Soul Hunter and Infection) and though I personally enjoyed the other two, I know that many fans aren't crazy about them. So, I think there's a pretty good chance you'll come to like the show once you've seen the better stuff that comes along later. Season 1 as a whole is patchy, but it contains some good background on some of the characters and plants some important seeds for later storylines and by the later stages the show begins to approach the form it'll show in Seasons 2, 3 and 4.

Babylon 5 has its fair share of flaws, but there's a real energy and excitement to it and its use of long-running plotlines is very satisfying. It took me a while to get into the show, but the last third or so of Season 1 pretty much won me over and after seeing the season finale, Chrysalis, I was definitively sold on the show. Anyway, I'm sure this thread will be interesting
Old January 24 2010, 10:36 PM   #21
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Definitely, although I think "Day of the Dead" is another one I like. It has its problems, however, it's written by Neil Gaiman, which imho makes it worth checking out.

"The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari" and "A View From the Gallery" are two other episodes which merit watching. Some good character moments, though nothing all that arc-related.
Let's not have the "season 5 discussion" before he's even watched 'The Gathering', yes?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 10:45 PM   #22
apenpaap
Commodore

It's a shame you're reviewing Babylon 5 instead of DS9. I don't like B5, but I'll probably stick around this thread to see your opinion of it.

...people are constantly calling it the greatest sci-fi show of all time...
They are wrong.
Old January 24 2010, 10:46 PM   #23
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Sykonee wrote: View Post
If it's the same one as from the Movie DVD Package, then the gorilla bartender is present. At least on my version it is.
Great maker, you may be correct. Perhaps I automatically close my eyes when the gorilla makes an appearance, or maybe he was onscreen for longer in the original version. Otherwise, I'll just pretend he was in transit from David Brin's uplift universe.
Old January 24 2010, 10:52 PM   #24
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I look forward to seeing these reviews. I enjoy season one quite a bit even though there are some stinkers in it. "Midnight on the Firing Line," "Mind's Eye," "And the Sky Full of Stars," "By Any Means Necessary," "Signs and Portents," "A Voice in the Wilderness I and II," and, of course, "Chrysalis" are just some of my favorites from the season. Granted, some of them are better in hindsight.
Old January 24 2010, 11:04 PM   #25
Praetor
Vice Admiral

*tents fingers*

Excellent.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 11:14 PM   #26
RoJoHen
Awesome

apenpaap wrote: View Post
...people are constantly calling it the greatest sci-fi show of all time...
They are wrong.

It's always so silly to me how people proclaim these sorts of things so matter-of-factly.
Old January 24 2010, 11:16 PM   #27
Neroon
Mod of balance

Reverend wrote: View Post
Let's not have the "season 5 discussion" before he's even watched 'The Gathering', yes?
Oh I'm sure that won't happen.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 11:20 PM   #28
scnj
Captain

I've always meant to check this show out, but never got around to it. I'll be interested to see what you think of it.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 11:21 PM   #29
RoJoHen
Awesome

Neroon wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
Oh I'm sure that won't happen.
So, how 'bout them Lost Tales...?
Old January 24 2010, 11:23 PM   #30
Seven of Five
Commodore

Hee, can't wait! As many are foreshadowing, season one is hit and miss. Where it hits though, it hits well. I'm sure with being starved for character and story arcs on VOY and ENT your curiosity will be peaked.

I saw The Gathering for the first time this year, both the original and edited versions. Edited is quite an improvement on original. Before that though I just jumped in at Midnight on the Firing Line as I had no access to the pilot, and it works just fine either way.

I'd not noticed before but we seem to have a similar taste in TV.
Seven of Five is offline   Reply With Quote