Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 24 2010, 01:18 AM   #316
lennier1
Commodore

Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

Stiletto wrote: View Post
I wanted to like it. Really did, but by the end, I don't. I will give it a chance, by watching several more episodes, but the pilot did not impress. I realized that I prefer my SciFi with a little more scifi than Caprica offered.

I don't understand how we're supposed to feel sympathy for Zoey. She's a spoiled little brat convinced that her way is the best way. Skipping school, going to that club, and hanging out with a different crowd. And somehow she's some type of genius able to create something no one has been able to come up with? From what? Restaraunt slips, parking tickets, grades, ect.... OK, maybe the Zoey avatar was more than that, but Adama's daughter wasn't.

Adama is some type of lawyer, but he has ties to mobsters? How are we supposed to have sympathy for him either? If he were able to resist the mob, that would be something different, but he ends up delivering the message to that judge (smoking man). I get it, he lost his kid and daughter, but still.

I felt bad for Zoey's mom (step-mom?). I felt bad for Zoey's friend that wasn't blown up.

It's still early in this show, I'm willing to give it more of a chance, but I'm not confident on it.
With you on that one. After the pilot I don't care much about it.
So the destruction of the colonies was brought on by a lawyer and by a deus ex machina teenage girl on the rag???
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old January 24 2010, 02:18 AM   #317
Kolrad
Fleet Captain

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Because despite being an IT-Genius he apparently doesn't know the difference between Cut&Paste and Copy&Paste.

That's the one thing that really bugs me about the movie.
David cgc wrote: View Post
It's a common conceit in Sci-Fi that AIs need to be transferred, as opposed to copied. It happens all the time in movies, shows, novels, video games...
Yeah; that's exactly what they did on Voyager every time the holographic Doctor was "stolen."

And it's really too bad, because it would be so much more interesting to explore what the implications would be of a life form that could be copied, backed up, deleted, recovered, and saved in multiple versions like a real computer file. There would be a lot of messy questions that could make for some interesting stories.

Old January 24 2010, 03:39 AM   #318
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
I'm still amazed at how the annihilation of the Colonies can be traced all the way back to a rebellious teenage girl. There's a definite message in that.
I prefer to put the decisive moment at Joe Adama forgetting his lucky lighter. If he'd had it, he never would've met Greystone, and Greystone would've never gotten his stolen heuristic processor, and Zoë would've sat safely in the internet forever.
Old January 24 2010, 03:46 AM   #319
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The thing about transferring AIs is not so much a "common conceit" as it is a common error, and in that respect it's simply annoying. Either the writers don't understand the technology or they're betting that their audience doesn't understand it or doesn't care.

Meh.

There wasn't enough here to justify tuning in to the next episode - plodding, illogical, prosaic and disjointed are a few adjectives that come to mind. It also has the classic symptoms of prequelitis - too much of the dramatic value as well as the in-jokes are based on an existing affection for the work it's derived from. Absent the significance of the Cylons in BSG, for example, the metal contraption in which the girl finds herself trapped at the end is merely comic and pathetic.
Old January 24 2010, 03:48 AM   #320
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I admit it would be rather unsettling to watch this show, knowing that in 50 or so years everything we see here is going to be blown to smithereens. Although I suspect that's the point.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old January 24 2010, 10:46 AM   #321
Aragorn
Admiral

One thing I appreciated about Caprica is that everyone acknowledged that the copy was a copy. Zoe knew she was a copy. Daniel knew his daughter was dead, though his grief may have overwhelmed him to the point where he convinced himself otherwise. Adama's daughter knew something was wrong since she wasn't told she was an avatar.

It's not like The Sixth Day where the bad guys didn't fear dying because they'd just be cloned -- even though they'd still be dead because the clones aren't them!
Old January 24 2010, 05:31 PM   #322
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Stiletto wrote: View Post
Adama is some type of lawyer, but he has ties to mobsters? How are we supposed to have sympathy for him either?
You're right, people can only feel sympathy for perfect, upstanding, moral citizens, and these are the only kind of people the audiences want to watch a show about. That's why nobody ever watched The Sopranos, The Shield, or Dexter... oh wait...

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old January 24 2010, 05:46 PM   #323
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I'm with Aragorn. I very much appreciate that Zoe A is recognized as a copy. She's not Zoe. She's like Zoe, but she's not Zoe. I suspect that difference will manifest itself more and more as Zoe A individuates and becomes more vengeful and violent than Zoe ever intended or wanted with her childlike belief that Zoe A could positively change society and human nature. Zoe A is a child left alone without guidance. She was never really human, never lived in the human world or grew up there. The only human to whom she felt allegiance was her "mother," and her mother is gone--killed by human violence.

TWIST

There's an article by Michael Hinman with no actual spoilers but one hell of a spoiler tease for midseason.

And if you thought there was no room for surprises in a prequel series, you're wrong. You're dead wrong.
I can't say much about it, but let's just say there is a twist coming up, possibly around mid-season or slightly later, that will make your chin hit the floor. I mean, a huge twist. One that involves a death you will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever see coming. Even with this hint here, you won't see it coming.
It's a secret that is so big, that it makes the Final Cylon debate and speculation nothing more than a trivia question on "Jeopardy!"
You are lost on what I'm talking about right now, but bookmark this preview. When this incident occurs (and you'll know it when it happens), come back here and say, "Wow! Mike told me so!"...

So--is Bill Adama a cylon?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old January 24 2010, 05:58 PM   #324
lennier1
Commodore

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
So--is Bill Adama a cylon?
A thunderstorm electrocutes Bill Adama while he's on the toilet and the person we've come to known is actually an adopted child that shares the same first name?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old January 24 2010, 06:04 PM   #325
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

ROFL!

Seriously, whose death could be so shocking that Hinman would play it up like that? Does Daniel kill Zoe A in an attempt to create a more malleable Zoe 3.0 who turns out to be even further from the original Zoe's true personality? Does he murder his wife to keep her quiet when she (inevitably) finds out what's going on? Does Zoe A replace Daniel?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old January 24 2010, 10:56 PM   #326
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The only death that would "shock" me would have to be little Billy Adama...
Old January 24 2010, 11:11 PM   #327
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

That was my thinking. There was a companion piece to that article I linked with some quotes from Esai. He said the script had him in tears thinking of what it would be like to experience that. What else could have you in tears like that except the death of a child? Is there another Bill Adama? Does Sam Adama have a toddler aged son stashed somewhere? A younger one to account for what some consider to be an age discrepancy? Does cousin Bill watch his uncle try to resurrect his daughter and son with cylon technology? Is he raised by uncle Joseph after the mob knocks off his father? Bill was awfully quick to recognize Leoben as a cylon. Just a little too familiar in spite of what might have happened aboard the Diana 40 years earlier. For all he knew that technology never worked. How did he know that Leoben was a cylon humanoid lifeform? A 4 year old boy in Caprica would turn 62 at the time of the later armageddon. He could have enlisted towards the end of the cylon war. It would fit. He'd still be young enough to start thinking of Joseph as a father, too.

Maybe Zoe A kills Billy. Or Tamara A.

Old January 24 2010, 11:35 PM   #328
Kolrad
Fleet Captain

Is it possible that Tamara A ends up becoming the Cylons instead of Zoe A?

Old January 24 2010, 11:55 PM   #329
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Well, I sure hope Billy Adama doesn't die, because if so, we all just spoilered ourselves something fierce.
Old January 25 2010, 03:46 AM   #330
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Finally saw the pilot and was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't looking forward to it and skipped it when it aired before or was out on disc or whatever. Before the premier I'd even heard it referred to as "BSG 90210".

I think a lot of historical events originate or change or are influenced by random obscure stuff, so Zoe being the basis of the Cylon's monotheistic, human hating philosophy, only intrigues me.

I'm anxious for more.