Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old January 23 2010, 03:13 AM   #16
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 2

IGN has their review up:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1062898p1.html

I didn't think that it was possible, but I want this game even more now.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2010, 03:42 AM   #17
Mr Light
Admiral

I think this might be my first ever buy-new game. I figure I get it on Amazon, get $10 off a future game purchase, get some free armor apparently, play it and sell it back on Marketplace for like $50. I usually end up playing a game 6-12 months after it comes out... how long does it take for the online walkthroughs to get made? 'Cause I rely extensively on them, I hate wandering around myself trying to figure out what to do.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2010, 04:04 AM   #18
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Gamefaqs.com usually has walkthroughs out soon after the game comes out. They aren't that complete, but will probably be up the part you are stuck at.
Old January 23 2010, 02:23 PM   #19
Mr Light
Admiral

I just pre-ordered it! Woot! So if I order it Saturday morning is there a chance I'd get it on Tuesday?

Old January 23 2010, 03:16 PM   #20
PKerr
Rear Admiral

I have it on pre-order but I honestly have to say (takes cover) I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I recently started playing the first game, got about 5 hrs in and thought it was just ...O.K.

Maybe it's just me but nothing about the game screams "THE IS THE BESTEST GAME IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD" Like a lot of folks, friends included keep telling me it is.

Maybe it's just my lack of RPG play as it's not on the top of game play type list , I dunno.

I can say I thoroughly enjoyed Oblivion so....
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2010, 03:51 PM   #21
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

I don't think that it's the BEST GAME IN THE WORLD, but I really enjoyed the art direction, the acting, the conversation system, and the story. I liked the combat, though it was a bit clunky, but I hear that they really improved it in the sequel.

Pretty much I am excited because it takes all of the good things in the game that worked and made them better while dropping the bad things (i.e. no generic planets and elevators).
Old January 23 2010, 05:27 PM   #22
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Bought the first game on the cheep in on of the Steam sales back in November (not much more than a fiver as I recall) on a leap of faith and, while it has some notable flaws, I can see why it's gotten the praise it has. I didn't intend to but I caved and preordered #2 just last week.

I don't think I'll regret it as from all the reports so far, all of the major problems from the first game have been addressed. No more cut/paste locations, dull pointless side missions, no more driving over emptry (if occasionally pretty) rocky worlds looking for minerals, no more elevators (though that one never bothered me as much) no more "back-flips-as-soon-as-it-hits-even-the-smallest-bump" Mako, a streamlined inventory system, better combat, more clearly defined classes, the ability to customise your armour (seriously, why were the iconic Onyx armours so hard to come by?) and to import your characters from ME1.

So far I have a paragon female soldier and a renegade male sentinel with a paragon female vanguard still on the go. I'm actually quite proud of by female soldier face, basing her of what I imagined Honor Harrington might look like (green Asian eyes, very high cheek bones, slightly horse mouthed and dark red hair.)
For the male I just stuck with the default "John" face while the second female is a weird mix of South American, African and Eastern European. Dark skin, light brown/dark blonde hair, blue eyes, thick lips and an almost Roman nose.

I like to think that by that point in the future, today's ethnic groups have been put through the blender a bit and you get new "hybrid groups" emerging, so I tend to mix the features up a bit, while still trying to keep things balanced and attractive.

At some point, just for kicks I might do an absolutely dog faced, pale and scared up female, just to buck the trend.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2010, 08:05 PM   #23
Blamo
Fleet Captain

The first game wasn't perfect and had a few flaws, but for the most part I thought it was great and loved pretty much every minute of the plot and main missions(Sovereign is still in my personal top 10 list of villians).

So yeah, I'm really looking forward to Mass Effect 2. It's looking like they've improved on pretty much every aspect of the first game.
Blamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 03:15 AM   #24
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

TheBrew wrote: View Post
Who else pumped for this game?
This is the first game I've ever pre-ordered.

So yeah, looking forward to it.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2010, 05:31 AM   #25
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^ Same here. I usually wait for a game to get to the bargain bins. Very rarely do I buy one new.
Old January 24 2010, 12:36 PM   #26
AdAstra
Rear Admiral

I was just wondering when you create a new character in ME2, rather than importing one from ME, whether you have any effect on the history?
I mean, I lost all my save games due to an OS crash just after I had finished a play-through with a female soldier (and therefore wasn't in the mood to start again), so I don't have any final game saves.
At character generation, will you be able to have any say about what happened in ME (major events only?), a bit like creating your background in the first ME, or more/less?

Any news on that?
Old January 24 2010, 02:24 PM   #27
Reverend
Rear Admiral

From what I've read, I think that when you create a character from scratch it randomly chooses you "past decisions" for you. That or it makes an educated guess based on the traits you choose. A "ruthless" reputation for instance might be more prone to renegade choices. Though, to be honest I don't think they've full explained that side of things to date.
Old January 24 2010, 02:55 PM   #28
Mr Light
Admiral

Even though I have my save game from ME1 I think I'll want to start from scratch. It's not like I'll remember the choices I made from two years ago... also my face was pretty ugly and that annoyed me the entire game.

Old January 24 2010, 03:00 PM   #29
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Depending of how much of an impact your choices have, this might make for an extended play-through where you play through ME1 before doing ME2.
Old January 24 2010, 03:31 PM   #30
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, it's clear that you basically have to do everything in ME1 again if you want to have the perfectly customized experience in ME2.
The game seems to set some global values in the plot if you start a fresh ME2 character, but that's about it.

It's funny though. If EA decided to charge for a "background creator" that let you make your own Shepard to import into ME2, I'd almost certainly pay for it just to save the time of playing through ME1 again. Oh well.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote