TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 23 2010, 07:14 AM   #301
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

I don't think it's supposed to be family-friendly rather than it is about families (as opposed to the government and military).
Old January 23 2010, 07:16 AM   #302
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I don't think it's supposed to be family-friendly rather than it is about families (as opposed to the government and military).
Maybe they changed their minds because I thought Eick said when the series was in development that it was going to be much more family friendly than BSG. Maybe I heard wrong, but the eroticism in the first 10 minutes sure didn't make it more family friendly, especially when it was a bunch of teenage eroticism.

sjsharksfan39
Old January 23 2010, 02:20 PM   #303
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

I voted "Average" when the DVD first was available and after seeing it again last night, I wouldn't change that grade. Still, the second viewing was enjoyable enough and cleared up a few things. Not a great start at all, but I'll be tuning in next week ...
Old January 23 2010, 02:38 PM   #304
David cgc
Vice Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Maybe they changed their minds because I thought Eick said when the series was in development that it was going to be much more family friendly than BSG. Maybe I heard wrong, but the eroticism in the first 10 minutes sure didn't make it more family friendly, especially when it was a bunch of teenage eroticism.
No, they always said "family drama" (as in about families, not for families). I never once remember hearing anyone say "family friendly."
Old January 23 2010, 05:56 PM   #305
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snowy Roshi

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
Yeah, but it's a good way to refresh your memory as to the specific details of the pilot. It's been so long since I've seen it that it's a god thing that they're airing it this week.
LOL!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old January 23 2010, 06:50 PM   #306
Dark Gilligan
Writer

However, didn't I hear something along the lines of this was going to be more family friendly than BSG?
No, I don't recall that ever being said. I can't imagine anything in the BSG universe being family friendly. Far from it.
Old January 23 2010, 07:16 PM   #307
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Can i just as a quick question is the episode that as just aired the episode that was released in April?
I do not want to go though the thread in case its a new ep and i get spoiled.
Old January 23 2010, 07:17 PM   #308
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

David cgc wrote: View Post
No, they always said "family drama" (as in about families, not for families). I never once remember hearing anyone say "family friendly."

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
However, didn't I hear something along the lines of this was going to be more family friendly than BSG?
No, I don't recall that ever being said. I can't imagine anything in the BSG universe being family friendly. Far from it.
Well, than maybe I was just confused. Happened before, probably will happen again.

Thanks for the clarification though. I wasn't using it to judge the show, but I was surprised on how much of the whole sex thing there was.

sjsharksfan39
Old January 23 2010, 07:20 PM   #309
RoJoHen
Awesome

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Can i just as a quick question is the episode that as just aired the episode that was released in April?
I do not want to go though the thread in case its a new ep and i get spoiled.
Yes, what aired last night was the pilot, which was released on DVD last year.
Old January 23 2010, 07:23 PM   #310
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, than maybe I was just confused. Happened before, probably will happen again.

Thanks for the clarification though. I wasn't using it to judge the show, but I was surprised on how much of the whole sex thing there was.
I think people hear the term "family drama" and picture something from ABC Family or Lifetime.
Old January 23 2010, 07:47 PM   #311
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I voted Above Average the first time around and I'm sticking with that. I really enjoyed it but the first half needed some pacing work.
Old January 23 2010, 09:11 PM   #312
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I liked it. Someone at another forum brought up a reminder of a [now] very haunting thing said over and over by the hybrid on BSG:

"Mists of dreams drip along the nascent echo and love no more. End of line."

Tell me that the collective cylon soul isn't the nascent echo of Zoe Greystone. A soul that will love no more the longer she's trapped in a cylon body. So much for the real Zoe's dreams of positive change. Her child creation will "change all that," just like she said. She never could have imagined how.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old January 23 2010, 10:43 PM   #313
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

I'm still amazed at how the annihilation of the Colonies can be traced all the way back to a rebellious teenage girl. There's a definite message in that.
Old January 23 2010, 11:09 PM   #314
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Yeah, monitor your teenage computer genius daughter's computer usage. Too much time online is dangerous, parents.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old January 24 2010, 01:04 AM   #315
Stiletto
Fleet Captain

I wanted to like it. Really did, but by the end, I don't. I will give it a chance, by watching several more episodes, but the pilot did not impress. I realized that I prefer my SciFi with a little more scifi than Caprica offered.

I don't understand how we're supposed to feel sympathy for Zoey. She's a spoiled little brat convinced that her way is the best way. Skipping school, going to that club, and hanging out with a different crowd. And somehow she's some type of genius able to create something no one has been able to come up with? From what? Restaraunt slips, parking tickets, grades, ect.... OK, maybe the Zoey avatar was more than that, but Adama's daughter wasn't.

Adama is some type of lawyer, but he has ties to mobsters? How are we supposed to have sympathy for him either? If he were able to resist the mob, that would be something different, but he ends up delivering the message to that judge (smoking man). I get it, he lost his kid and daughter, but still.

I felt bad for Zoey's mom (step-mom?). I felt bad for Zoey's friend that wasn't blown up.

It's still early in this show, I'm willing to give it more of a chance, but I'm not confident on it.