Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the pilot...
Excellent 74 35.58%
Above Average 89 42.79%
Average 27 12.98%
Below Average 9 4.33%
Poor 9 4.33%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 20 2009, 07:05 PM   #286
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Re: Caprica - Grading & Discussion

It's a common conceit in Sci-Fi that AIs need to be transferred, as opposed to copied. It happens all the time in movies, shows, novels, video games...
Old July 21 2009, 02:37 AM   #287
McCoy
Commodore

Exactly. If there's no risk there's no tension.
Old July 22 2009, 02:06 AM   #288
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Bill often spoke well of his father in the early seasons. In "A Day in the Life" during the third season, he said to Roslin that he told her once that he didn't get along with his father.
Old October 13 2009, 11:44 PM   #289
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Sorry for bringing up a dead thread, but I finally got around to watching this. I was completely shocked at all the breasts at the beginning, but definitely not disgusted by any means. I really don't have any negative things to say about the pilot. I enjoyed it more than Stargate Universe, and I wish that I could go ahead and see more episodes now because I liked what I saw. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular to begin with, but I think this show could end up being better than BSG.
Old October 18 2009, 08:40 PM   #290
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Yay, the Caprica thread is back. I'm getting really SICK of waiting.
I really don't have any negative things to say about the pilot. I enjoyed it more than Stargate Universe
Wow, faint praise! Caprica is a bit draggy but at least there's an attempt being made to create a show around a genuine sci fi concept. That alone makes it a rarity on TV and worth supporting.

I think this show could end up being better than BSG.
It's already got a more solid premise than BSG did. I think BSG's problem was that they imported the premise from the original series, but that really wasn't the story that RDM and the gang wanted to tell. In retrospect, they should have cut the apron strings even more completely than they did. Caprica might be an attempt to do that at long last.
Old October 19 2009, 07:45 PM   #291
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I'm giving it "Above Average." Finally got around to seeing it, thanks to JonathonWally, er... Jack Skellington.

Great concept, pretty good execution. I have few complaints:

1. The recycling of the holoband footage. It was pretty obvious.
2. The acting abilities of the young'uns.
3. Some of the effects felt a bit below par.

Other than that, it was very good. Definitely a solid story, and I look forward to the series. And while the girl playing Zoe isn't that great an actress (yet), at least she's cute.
Old October 20 2009, 10:31 PM   #292
O'Dib
Commodore

I loved the vision of how a modern society would develop without having been influenced by the judeochristian worldview. I'm curious about the monotheists, particularly the dead daughter, and her "plan". Ooh, and I just realized why centurions believe in one god, lol.
Old January 21 2010, 05:05 AM   #293
Agent Richard07
Admiral

In two days, the series kicks off with an airing of this pilot episode.
Old January 21 2010, 05:41 AM   #294
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I gotta say that it's a good thing that I've already seen the pilot on DVD and am at least intrigued. If I were to decide whether or not to see this series based entirely on the commercials, I probably wouldn't tune in.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old January 21 2010, 06:16 PM   #295
Maab of the Ten Tribes
Captain

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
In two days, the series kicks off with an airing of this pilot episode.
I was just trying to find a thread to ask the question as to whether or not this week is the same ep from the dvd. That kinda sucks for those of use who have seen the dvd already. We have to wait yet another week dammit!
Old January 23 2010, 01:03 AM   #296
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Yeah, but it's a good way to refresh your memory as to the specific details of the pilot. It's been so long since I've seen it that it's a god thing that they're airing it this week.
Old January 23 2010, 06:12 AM   #297
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

I wasn't particular wowed by it. It is always hard to judge a series based on its two hour pilot. Some shows go on to exceed it. I'm not sure what to really expect.

It was certainly "smaller" in scope than BSG and the cast size was a little surprising--it was quite modest. A lot of the material was pretty well worn by so many other sci-fi series and films that definitely contributed to a "been there done that" feel.

I understood what Moore was going for emotionally with the dilemma of a father's loss and his motivations but we'd seen so little of Zoe--and what we did was not enough to make me care--that it fell flat. The contrast between the 50s feel of the show and the futuristic feel was interesting but I can't say gangs or the cliched minority backstory they seem to be setting up for Adama is all that compelling or fresh.

I can't say I'm interested in any of the other characters besides Greystone, Adama and Sister Clarice. It will be interesting to see how they develop the series and what plotlines will come into focus over time--and whether they'll be interesting and enough to sustain the series. I'm curious about how this might tie into the mythology from BSG.

I'll give it an average for now--I might re-evaluate once I see how some of it fits into context with what new pieces come into play down the road.
Old January 23 2010, 06:17 AM   #298
Lord Garth

I voted excellent. I liked it even better the fourth time around.* That's a good sign. Can't wait to see the rest of the first season! A good, solid drama, with a lot of twisted things, and an interesting concept. I like all the characters.

* On DVD, on DVD with commentary, on DVD again showing it to someone else shortly afterwards, and today on SyFy.

Old January 23 2010, 06:23 AM   #299
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

I liked it, ambiance and "feel" of the BSG 'verse minus the military overlay. and oddly the one character I find grating: Joe Adama...

The season preview looked most intriguing. Was that Amanda Graystone as a hybrid? "All this has happened before..."

Sharr
Old January 23 2010, 07:10 AM   #300
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I wasn't going to watch it, but decided to do the on-demand thing and liked it. Yeah the themes have been covered before in other scifi endevors, but so what. They are good themes to be explored again and again.

However, didn't I hear something along the lines of this was going to be more family friendly than BSG? I ask because in the first 20 minutes they have a terrorist bombing and it actually reminded me of when Six killed the baby in the Miniseries. It feels like it's going to be just as dark as BSG, only without the military. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I was a bit surprised on how grotesque some of these scenes were. I'll come back next week to see how they follow up because I liked the pilot a lot.