RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,676
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 603
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 19 2010, 05:53 PM   #16
bbailey861
Admiral

Re: Who Could Carry Their Own Series?

^"The Blue Barber Secrets"
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2010, 04:25 PM   #17
Anika Hanson
Captain

Picard, Worf and Riker.
Old January 20 2010, 04:29 PM   #18
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
None of them.
Yeah, pretty much my opinion as well.
Old January 20 2010, 06:34 PM   #19
GeorgeKirk
Commodore

View GeorgeKirk's Twitter Profile

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
^"The Blue Barber Secrets"
Sounds like a late-night show on Cinemax.

What about an Odd Couple-style sitcom about Worf and Data? Or even better, Worf and Barclay.
Old January 20 2010, 06:59 PM   #20
Hambone
Fleet Captain

Spot, the cat.
Old January 20 2010, 07:48 PM   #21
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

Dixon Hill?
AdmiralGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2010, 04:51 AM   #22
Degobunny
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hambone wrote: View Post
Spot, the cat.
heck yes the should just redue to all the TNG episodes but from Spot's prespective. Of coarse it would start when Data got him. I can imagine it now, Spot running around the ship during 'Genesis' and we slowly watch as he morphs into an iguana.

I wouldn't mind a Guinan series TBH. After all, she was not always a barkeep.
Old February 16 2010, 06:02 PM   #23
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

I think Riker on the Titan would be the most likely bet. The lead on Trek series in usually the captain or the one in charge and he fits that role.

A Data series would get old in a hurry, given the way they used him in the movies with cheesy catch phrases and gimmicks.

Maybe Worf, he got a lot of development and backstory. But he's too grumpy to carry a show. Star Trek: Tales from the Security Office.

Maybe Geordi, we never knew that much about him. Give him his eye surgery in the pilot to get rid of the VISOR.

Beverly would be ER in Space. And no way for Troi.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2010, 06:04 PM   #24
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

If we except Stewart/Picard - any other series starring him is essentially a continuation of TNG - then the answer is "no one."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2010, 06:13 PM   #25
indolover
Fleet Captain

Most of the cast are in their 50's, 60's or 70's (well Stewart is almost seventy).

Whether any of them, at this stage in their lives, would want another 7-season show seems unlikely IMO, money aside (I doubt Stewart really needs the money anyhow, as out of all the cast he has by far the biggest international name, and the only one with a knighthood lol).

I think a better bet would be mini-series, or one off TV movies. Frakes may be more up for a USS Titan mini-series, which could feature in some fashion all of the cast.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2010, 12:59 AM   #26
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

I disagree with the idea that "no one" could carry another series, but I also disagree somewhat with the premise of the question.

Could even Patrick Stewart "carry" a ST series? Did he carry TNG?
It's fairly well known that he led the cast in terms of acting, and that his range and intensity - basically his chops - were beyond the rest.

But could he carry a ST show? My point is that although Stewart is great, and Picard episodes were great, ST worked as an ensemble - thus the warming from S1-S3, and so I think the whole question is off base.

I feel the answer is more one of having critical mass, between TNG/DS9/VOY characters. Having one stick out as a star or leader can be good, as in Stewart's case, or it could be bad. Thinking of TOS, by contrast - the Triad were fairly well matched (I think Kelley was the best actor, then Nimoy, then Shat, YMMV), but it was the interplay of those characters that made it work.

As for me, I like the mini-series idea of Riker and the Titan, checking in with as many TNG/DS9/VOY characters as makes sense and fits the story.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2010, 01:31 AM   #27
Maxillius
Commander

The only thing keeping me from mentioning a Captain Riker of the Titan story is Troi. Remember, they're married at that point in the timeline and Troi is the most irritating drag on every story line she's ever been in.
Maxillius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2010, 02:21 PM   #28
ndcarlin
Fleet Captain

Lor'Vela wrote: View Post
Is Frakes still keen on Star Trek appearances? Do you think he would actually star in a Titan series?
Do you think he'd fit in a Captain's chair now? Not good to have the Captain cruising the corridors in his scooter.
ndcarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2010, 09:10 PM   #29
Withers
Captain

View Withers's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Withers Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Withers

I honestly don't think any of them could seriously do it to much acclaim. Riker and Troi aboard the Titan would be the most likely candidate (as has been said) but... I'm not sure that's a show I'd want to watch given the fact that it would seemingly be easier to just put a brand new cast together and start from scratch.

I wouldn't mind an amalgamated cast of some sort- like they take a person or two from the three series (obviously Enterprise is excluded) and have them do a show together. I don't know what the premise of such a show might be but depending on it there are characters from TNG who would be nice additions. I always thought Beverly and Troi kind of sucked because they were never really fleshed out (I mean they were barely used in the movies at all). That might be a chance for one of them.

-Withers-
Withers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2010, 08:23 AM   #30
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander

a series about Riker and the Titan in a post-Nemesis setting could be a winner, IMO.

I haven't read the novels but a new series would obviously be able to go any direction it wanted.

Include (without going overboard) a core of familiar characters around Riker and Troi --Worf?, Tuvok?, Ezri? --with a crew of new faces, stories, and plots....it could be successful, both financially and critically.

Going that route would also be an easier sales pitch to the powers-that-be because it would offer a reliable core of cast members that audiences are already familiar with...just a safer bet to take a chance on. Whether or not the actors would be interested or not I have no idea.

But the writing and production would need to be good right out of the gate. People would love to see a good crew on a cool new ship exploring new places and going on new adventures.

I still think there would be a nice TV market for good Trek. The Riker/Titan angle could be good Trek if they did it intelligently.

my .02 fwiw.
M-Red is offline   Reply With Quote