RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,629
Currently online: 525
Newest member: Karzak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 12 2010, 08:38 PM   #31
DarkHorizon
Captain

Re: The Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

Paris wrote: View Post
Sweet . Do you know where can I find a copy of it online? I don't think my local Chapters has any copies of #15 left...
They wouldn't anyway - the issue is a year old.

Titan Magazines has it in its available back issues, or there's always eBay.
Old January 14 2010, 12:27 AM   #32
Hamilton
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via Yahoo to Hamilton
Re: THe Sorrows of Empire - Expanded version

So, I read it all in a couple of hours last night.

First, WOW!!!

Second, the story flowed very well... there were no wasted words, everything tied together beautifully.

As for Spock's character, I find all of his actions logical. In order for him to achieve his goals, he had to be just as ruthless as the others in his universe. After all, what would be the point if he allowed anyone or anything to possibly threaten his plan?

All in all, it's a fantastic read. I'm going to have to buy a copy for my coworker, instead of letting him borrow mine... I'm not willing to part with it.
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 01:03 AM   #33
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ Glad you enjoyed it.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2010, 06:23 PM   #34
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

I've had no interest in the MU collections, but I'm getting this.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2010, 11:10 PM   #35
Smiley
Rear Admiral

I bought this solely to help the chances of seeing the culmination of Spock's plan in print someday. I thought the original version was almost perfect. I like some of the added chapters on their own, but they break the narrative momentum and focus that the Glass Empires version has. No offense, David, but I'll be giving the expanded version to the public library since the first version is the only one I'll reread in the future.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2010, 05:06 AM   #36
OverlordSpock
Lieutenant Commander

View OverlordSpock's Twitter Profile

Just finished the expanded version. Really liked it!

I loved getting more details about the slow fulfillment of Spock's plan and liked getting peeks at other areas of the MU.

Narratively, there were a few places that seemed a little...awkward isn't quite the right word. There were just places that I could tell that new stuff was grafted on. But it wasn't so bad as to ruin the book for me. Just something I noticed.

I really hope that Rise Like Lions sees the light of day someday!
OverlordSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2010, 12:50 AM   #37
KingstonTrekker
Commander

Loved your book David. Then again, I like everything you write!

However, I felt that the Sorrows of Empire could have been even longer...for example, I would have liked to have seen the Carol Marcus/Memory Project outlined in more detail. In addition, several of the "years" passed by too quickly which made the novel choppy in places.

However, despite these minor quibbles, I thoroughly enjoyed the book! This is how the Mirror Universe should be depicted --- not the convoluted drivel that is currently consuming the DS9 Relaunch.

Here's hoping your proposed follow-up Mirror Universe book gets approved!
KingstonTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2010, 07:27 PM   #38
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ Thanks. Still no word on that pitch, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2010, 11:06 PM   #39
Snaploud
Admiral

I'm definitely interested in any sequels.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2010, 11:58 PM   #40
EmperorTiberius
Captain

I saw this topic the other day, so I went and bought the book. I never read any of the other stories, so this was fresh to me.

A few things bothered me (see below), but overall, I think it was a good book. First 200 pages were a bit slow but decent. Once Spock becomes Emperor, it picks up pace and the rest is fantastic.

Here are some thoughts on the book:

All in all, I wasn't disappointed, even though it completely contradicted William Shatner's books
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2010, 12:08 AM   #41
Christopher
Writer

EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post
3. Why are other races not alternatives as well? It appears only humans are different in the other universe. Romulans, Cardiassians, and Klingons are unchanged.
Why would they be changed? Just because Human history took a darker turn in this timeline, there's no reason that would've affected those other societies, except insofar as humanity interacted with them.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2010, 03:41 AM   #42
EmperorTiberius
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
3. Why are other races not alternatives as well? It appears only humans are different in the other universe. Romulans, Cardiassians, and Klingons are unchanged.
Why would they be changed? Just because Human history took a darker turn in this timeline, there's no reason that would've affected those other societies, except insofar as humanity interacted with them.
Mirror Universe is a parallel universe where the characters are inverted, it's not just an alternative universe where one different event caused a series of other events and they diverged permanently.

Humans in MU are vastly different than the ones in "our" universe (read evil, brutal etc); that can't be the result of a different time line.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2010, 04:08 AM   #43
Snaploud
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Mirror Universe is a parallel universe where the characters are inverted, it's not just an alternative universe where one different event caused a series of other events and they diverged permanently.

Humans in MU are vastly different than the ones in "our" universe (read evil, brutal etc); that can't be the result of a different time line.
*shrugs*

That's your interpretation. I'm fine with the idea that there was some sort of divergence in Earth's history.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2010, 04:23 AM   #44
LightningStorm
The Borg King

Why not? It could have diverged a long time ago causing human history to have been more brutal on humanity and creating a every-man-for-himself mistrust-of-others type of mentality.
Old January 19 2010, 04:27 AM   #45
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I do agree with the gripe about the Tantalus Field. Its use in "Mirror, Mirror" made sense, but this time it was just way, way too powerful. (This was true in both versions of "Sorrows", the original and the expanded.) It was the ultimate deus ex machina.