RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,586
Posts: 5,515,341
Members: 25,158
Currently online: 484
Newest member: Giarc1982

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 18 2010, 11:38 PM   #76
Agenda
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Dune newbie questions

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
even if they are better written than most fan fiction.
Given the high quality of some fan fiction, I would dispute even that.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2010, 01:19 AM   #77
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral
 
Starbreaker's Avatar
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: Dune newbie questions

Michael Chris wrote: View Post
Are they any good? Would you say the new series is better or the House series?
The House books are better. They're definitely grasping at straws for stories in these two books. While I like more stories set around Messiah/CoD... the young Paul stories are kind of boring.
__________________
Currently Reading: The Martian by Andy Weir
Currently Watching: The Walking Dead, Doctor Who, CSI, Criminal Minds, NCIS, NCIS:NO, Law & Order: SVU, Stalker, American Horror Story, and Bones
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2010, 01:57 AM   #78
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Dune newbie questions

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Duncan's a strange character. He's completely different depending on what book you're reading. In the first, he's kind of a swashbuckling type, in the second he's a weirded out Ghola/Mentat, in the third, he's a wise Ghola/Mentat, in the fourth, he goes back to how he was in one, in the fifth he's just a kid, and in the sixth, I forget. And despite the fact that he appears in all the books, I don't buy him as the main character of the series.

__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2010, 02:15 AM   #79
Agenda
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Dune newbie questions

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Duncan's a strange character. He's completely different depending on what book you're reading. In the first, he's kind of a swashbuckling type, in the second he's a weirded out Ghola/Mentat, in the third, he's a wise Ghola/Mentat, in the fourth, he goes back to how he was in one, in the fifth he's just a kid, and in the sixth, I forget. And despite the fact that he appears in all the books, I don't buy him as the main character of the series.

Those novels mean nothing to me.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2010, 04:52 AM   #80
DarKush
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Dune newbie questions

Michael Chris wrote: View Post
Q: I've read all the original books multiple times, and read a couple of the prequels (Butlerian Jihad). Do you think the new Paul of Dune and Winds of Dune should come before or after the House series? I'm much more interested in the original characters..
I've only read about half of Paul of Dune. I recommend reading the House series first because they are prequels to the original, first three Dune books (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune). I enjoyed the House series. I thought Atreides was the best, Harkonnen the worst, and Corrino was a decent closer. However, you might like to read Paul and Wind first since they are in-between books.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2010, 01:36 PM   #81
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Dune newbie questions

After finishing it again, there is one aspect of the Children of Dune miniseries which I'm not thrilled with: the way Duncan's sacrifice and Stilgar's attack never come to anything. The story just ends before Stilgar reaches the city.

I don't recall whether it was that way in the book or not, but it's always a bit of an anticlimax on screen.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2010, 02:27 PM   #82
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain
 
Lt. Trull's Avatar
 
Location: Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
Re: Dune newbie questions

I enjoyed all of the books... Although I never read any of the books...
I did however listen to them all on audiobook... a much better way to read...
I listened to them in both the order written... and the chronological order.
__________________
Either: Christianity. Erradicting more interesting Religions for more than 2000 years! - or -
Knowledge is Power! Power Corrupts!
Study Hard! Be Evil!
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2010, 10:14 PM   #83
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Dune newbie questions

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Duncan's a strange character. He's completely different depending on what book you're reading. In the first, he's kind of a swashbuckling type, in the second he's a weirded out Ghola/Mentat, in the third, he's a wise Ghola/Mentat, in the fourth, he goes back to how he was in one, in the fifth he's just a kid, and in the sixth, I forget. And despite the fact that he appears in all the books, I don't buy him as the main character of the series.

Man, you've been smoking some strong stuff - that never happened... and there were no highlander sequels either...
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2010, 10:22 PM   #84
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Dune newbie questions

The Wormhole wrote: View Post


Er. Um. So, things I'm glad I haven't done: Read those books?
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2010, 06:01 AM   #85
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Dune newbie questions

I can't believe I totally forgot about this thread. I've made some more progess on the book, I'm about 60 pages into it now, i(t's slow going because I've been working more on the last ST: Vanguard book which I am almost done with) and I'm starting to follow it alot better and am enjoying it alot more. I'm already noticing alot of stuff that was cut out of the Lynch movie.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
books, dune, movies

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.