RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 750
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old January 15 2010, 10:12 PM   #331
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Re: Fitness Checkin

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
I understand the tendency to eat a lot during the holidays. But if people are so conscious about weight management, then they should try to eat healthy year-round. (And I know it's hard to diet during the holidays).

If we're talking about losing weight, why even call it a New Year's resolution? It sounds like people are trying to justify losing weight because of the New Year. Well, January 1, 2, 3, or 31 is just a date on the calendar. If people have weight to lose, it doesn't matter if it's Valentine's Day, Easter, the Fourth of July, or Yom Kippur.
That's a bit simplistic, isn't it? Of course people should try to eat healthy year-round. But they don't, for differing reasons, and many people struggle with their weight, eating, and/or exercise habits for much of their life. So they look for a place to make a new start, to definitively break bad habits and form good ones. We all mess up and make mistakes and it's nice to feel like you get another chance at things, which is what New Year's is to some.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2010, 10:15 PM   #332
RoJoHen
Awesome

People eat a lot during the holidays because, well, there is usually a lot more food available. I personally love the holidays BECAUSE I eat more...then again, I'm trying to bulk up.

I don't necessarily give myself Resolutions, but I do use New Years as a good point to evaluate myself and make changes to my routine to accommodate my different goals.
Old January 16 2010, 05:46 PM   #333
RoJoHen
Awesome

I am attempting to start jogging. So far it's not going great. I think I need better shoes.
Old January 17 2010, 02:25 AM   #334
Kestra
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I am attempting to start jogging. So far it's not going great. I think I need better shoes.
Feet hurting, or what? I finally got a new pair after years and years, but I picked them mostly for prettiness and not really for function.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2010, 04:19 AM   #335
RoJoHen
Awesome

My current shoes are just a couple years old. They're loose and starting to fall apart. As a result, my ankles are kind of wobbly when I try to jog in them.
Old January 17 2010, 05:33 AM   #336
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Well, I've hit the same issue as last year with my running. My foot is hurting me again (still think it's a misaligned cuboid bone), and when it's not hurting me, I'm struggling to get out. I feel like I've lost all momentum and it's a struggle to get going again, especially since every time I do get started, my foot starts acting up again.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2010, 08:05 AM   #337
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Kestra wrote: View Post
Drone36929 wrote: View Post
I understand the tendency to eat a lot during the holidays. But if people are so conscious about weight management, then they should try to eat healthy year-round. (And I know it's hard to diet during the holidays).

If we're talking about losing weight, why even call it a New Year's resolution? It sounds like people are trying to justify losing weight because of the New Year. Well, January 1, 2, 3, or 31 is just a date on the calendar. If people have weight to lose, it doesn't matter if it's Valentine's Day, Easter, the Fourth of July, or Yom Kippur.
That's a bit simplistic, isn't it? Of course people should try to eat healthy year-round. But they don't, for differing reasons, and many people struggle with their weight, eating, and/or exercise habits for much of their life. So they look for a place to make a new start, to definitively break bad habits and form good ones. We all mess up and make mistakes and it's nice to feel like you get another chance at things, which is what New Year's is to some.
Eating healthy and staying fit--I know it's easier said than done. My only gripe is why some people bother to even call it or make it a "New Year's" resolution to lose weight. When I lost weight last year, I didn't refer to it as my "summer resolution" or "Halloween resolution." It was just weight loss associated with eating a healthier diet, and the season or time of the year had nothing to do with it.

For instance, it's makes more sense to say, "My New Year's resolution is to be more sociable and outgoing" or "I resolve to lose my virginity this year." But losing weight? That's a goal everyone has to achieve on a personal level (not seasonal).
Old January 17 2010, 09:44 PM   #338
RoJoHen
Awesome

I think I forgot how to swim. I've done it maybe half a dozen times at my gym, and every time I get out of the pool I get incredibly dizzy. I think I'm getting water in my ears.
Old January 17 2010, 09:51 PM   #339
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Wahay! I've lost my Christmas weight. I'm back to having to wear belts.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2010, 05:37 PM   #340
RoJoHen
Awesome

Bought new running shoes last night. Gonna try 'em out in a little while. I'm trying to get in the habit of jogging now so that I can do it outside once Spring rolls around.
Old January 26 2010, 03:30 AM   #341
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

I've been getting back on track with my exercise. Save yesterday, when I had food poisoning so severe all I could keep down all day was a few sips of water and a half a cup of applesauce -- and thus, skipped the workout -- I've really been doing well. Today I did 30 min. on my new stationary cycle, 20 min. of yoga, and my usual walking of about 6 miles.
It feels good to be back on track. I want to lose 10 lbs and improve the tone of my abs and upper arms before swimsuit season.

Oh, and I hula-hooped for 5 min! He he.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2010, 07:34 AM   #342
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I am almost afraid to admit that, after getting down to 64 kilograms about two years ago, around Xmas time I was back up to 77 kilos

However I have bought myself a Wii and also started to eat a more healthy diet and am now down to 74 kilos. I am aiming to be 72 kilos by my birthday (end of February), 68 by the end of June and down to 63 by Xmas.

I did a 45 minute workout on my Wii this morning and will do another 45 minutes soon. I am currently doing most of my workout with the EA Sports Active game, I play tennis, boxing, volleyball, baseball and dancing.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2010, 08:24 PM   #343
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Feeling pretty good today. I finally got over the horrible stomach bug that's kept me from eating anything but broth and applesauce since last Sunday. Of course, now I have a cold. I follow the "neck up" rule when it comes to exercising, though. If I'm sick from the neck up exercise usually makes me feel better. If I'm sick from the neck down then exercise probably isn't a good idea. Since my symptoms are confined to nasty congestion and a minor headache, I figured a bit of exercise would help. I took a walk outside for an hour and a half over the Williamsburg bridge. I rode my stationary cycle for an hour and 15 minutes, did a few reps with some free weights, and some stretching.

The exercise does seem to have helped my cold a bit -- or it could be all the pseudoephedrine.

View my art!
Old February 3 2010, 02:34 AM   #344
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

I ended up adding another 45 minutes on the exercise bike to make it an even 2 hours yesterday. Today, still plagued by the cold, I took it a little easier: I took my usual walk over the bridge, but caught the bus the rest of the way home, and did an hour on the bike. I also did a few reps with some free weights, but I am out of shape! I miss being a fitness buff!

My goals are to get back into my size 4 pants (I'm at a 6 now), and to tone up for a bikini body this summer!

View my art!
Old February 3 2010, 05:51 AM   #345
RoJoHen
Awesome

I don't know what's been wrong with me, but I have been exhausted for the last week or so. I even took 3 days off, and I am still struggling.