Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 15 2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Wade
Ensign

Jim Kirk, "Superman"

When I was 14 years old, between 1976 and 1977, I was in the hospital for a serious injury. While there I was given a gift of an anthology of Star Trek short stories. I can remember some of the cover but, big surprise, that part that I do remember is a picture of the USS Enterprise. I know, how uncommon. What I remember, in particular, of one of the stories is that, like many, someone, Kirk in this case, had been stranded at some point in the past - 20th century Earth. He had been committed to a mental institution and the orderlies had nicknamed him "Superman" for his great strenght - He was apparently often violent.

Does anyone have a handle on the name of that anthology? I do remember enjoying it a great deal and it would be great to read it again if it's available.

Thanks.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Jim Kirk, "Superman"

That would be "Mind-sifter" in Bantam's Star Trek: The New Voyages. Pretty sure that's been out of print for a long time, so you'd have to check used-book dealers.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Wade
Ensign

Thanks, Christopher. I'll check it out.
Old January 16 2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Arpy
Rear Admiral

What the...?! Brilliant! Was he also ranting, calling the orderlies post-industrial barbarians and the nurses quasi-Cardassian totalitarians?
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

^It would've been pretty impressive to have a reference to Cardassians in a story published in 1976...

Old January 16 2010, 03:38 PM   #6
Wade
Ensign

I found an actual online version of the story here, http://www.simegen.com/fandom/startr...nd-sifter.html. Looks like the one. I scanned it and didn't find references to Cardassians or barbarians, but McCoy, once on the scene, did make a reference to a "barbarous contraption" (a straightjacket, I think).
Old January 17 2010, 01:46 AM   #7
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

A great story for its time...
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2010, 05:40 AM   #8
ClayinCA
Commodore

I note that Star Trek: Phase II has a story called "Mind-Sifter" as one of their upcoming productions. I wonder if it's an adaptation of this short story...?
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2010, 01:50 PM   #9
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Wade wrote: View Post
When I was 14 years old, between 1976 and 1977, I was in the hospital for a serious injury. While there I was given a gift of an anthology of Star Trek short stories. I can remember some of the cover but, big surprise, that part that I do remember is a picture of the USS Enterprise. I know, how uncommon. What I remember, in particular, of one of the stories is that, like many, someone, Kirk in this case, had been stranded at some point in the past - 20th century Earth. He had been committed to a mental institution and the orderlies had nicknamed him "Superman" for his great strenght - He was apparently often violent.

Does anyone have a handle on the name of that anthology? I do remember enjoying it a great deal and it would be great to read it again if it's available.

Thanks.
Sounds not unlike the DS9 Benny storyline, where Sisko was a patient in 20th century earth, having visions of a 24th century space station.
Old January 18 2010, 02:01 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

It's not very similar to that, no. More of an attempt to cross a "City on the Edge of Forever" period-romance vibe with the "hurt-comfort" narrative trope of fanfic.

Old January 18 2010, 02:29 PM   #11
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

It sounds both awesome and familiar.. I was the same age in the same year and read every bit of Trek that was out there, (very little). I still remember some verses from a poem in one of those early books, about Spock.

OH HEY I just looked up my poem (which I used to recite to myself when bored to death in school) and it was in The New Voyages so I must have read Mind-Sifter. I want this book now.

Here's a link to the poem, my memory was accurate:

http://littlereview.blogspot.com/200...nesday_15.html

I'm getting all misty eyed reading it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2010, 03:50 AM   #12
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

Mind-Sifter started to feel almost familiar as I read it. Suspect I picked up New Voyages in the library at some point in the early 90s. Had fun rediscovering the story anyway.
Old January 21 2010, 04:31 AM   #13
aelius
Commander

I read that when it came out. I was only twelve, but it was great to read new stories not based on the show.
I loved it then, even though I recognize now that many of the stories were a rough around the edges by modern Treklit standards.
Proud Member of the TrekBBS Armada
aelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 01:41 PM   #14
Sky
Captain

I have New Voyages and New Voyages II and quite enjoy them, even if they are a bit more like fanfic than treklit.
Sky   is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2010, 02:27 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

^Well, they are fanfic. That was the whole idea behind The New Voyages -- to collect the best of the ST fan fiction that was out there at the time and give it broader exposure in a professional publication. Remember, at the time, the only professional Trek fiction was the Bantam novel series, most of whose entries were written by established authors who were doing it for the paycheck and weren't necessarily all that Trek-savvy. So at the time, fan fiction was generally more authentic and truer to the Trek spirit than most of the pro fiction that was available (what little there was of it). It took time for Trek Lit to mature, and TNV was a step along the way.