Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old December 26 2009, 04:45 AM   #316
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: Fitness Checkin

I've started running again. Did my first run two mondays ago, and felt like crap. However, since I picked finals week to start running, that was my first and last run of the week. This week, I'm been more consistant and it's gone much better. I'm feeling stronger each day, and it's incredible how fast my lungs got back into shape.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2009, 10:07 AM   #317
RoJoHen
Awesome

I just put together a new routine for myself to start in the new year. I need to get back in the habit of writing things down and actually tracking my progress. 2010 is the year shit gets real.
Old December 30 2009, 05:00 AM   #318
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I actually found yoga workouts available on Netflix instant streaming. I might try one of them out sometime.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get over being sick. I worked out two days ago (the first time in 12 days), and it went very poorly.

I found two Vinyasa Flow workouts on dvd...we'll see how it goes.
I hope you enjoy it. If you do, I'd recommend Yoga to the People's free podcasts. I really enjoyed it, but I've not been able to work out for a month now, I'm just in too much pain. My joints, my muscles, and my general exhaustion have kept me from getting any exercise at all. I still walk home over the bridge -- and get an average of 8 miles walking in a day, but I just can't do any more.

I'm really anxious to get back to exercising, but I'll have to see what the doctor's tests say and go from there.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2009, 05:05 AM   #319
RoJoHen
Awesome

What should one prepare for when starting yoga? Am I going to be sore all over the next day? Should I get a mat? How often would you do it?

I really do want to try it out.
Old December 30 2009, 05:13 AM   #320
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
What should one prepare for when starting yoga? Am I going to be sore all over the next day? Should I get a mat? How often would you do it?

I really do want to try it out.
You will need a mat for sure, and as to soreness, that depends on a lot of things: how fit and flexible you are, how often you work and stretch the muscles that are used in the yoga practice you choose, and the level of yoga you practice. If you choose a more strenuous yoga like Vinyassa Flow you may be sore the following day -- especially your shoulders from holding downward dog. Yoga is very individual: you get out of it what you put into it. You're pretty fit so you could choose a challenging class. You may not be able to achieve third tier poses (I've been practicing yoga for years and simply lack the confidence and balance needed to stand on my head), but they're not necessary for a successful workout.
Before I got sick I did a sun salutation of about 15-20 minutes every morning, and an hour long class 1 to 2 times a week.

Old December 30 2009, 05:14 AM   #321
RoJoHen
Awesome

Gotcha. I'm in good shape, but flexibility is definitely something that is lacking. I almost never stretch.
Old December 30 2009, 05:18 AM   #322
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^You will be sore.

Old December 30 2009, 05:20 AM   #323
RoJoHen
Awesome

Good. I like being sore for working out. I think I'd like to do it about once a week in addition to my normal gym routine.
Old January 1 2010, 11:21 PM   #324
RoJoHen
Awesome

Holy Jesus, I think I broke myself today. This is the first New Years Day in years where I haven't been deathly hungover, so I took advantage of it and went to the gym and followed Day 1 of my new routine (super-setting Chest and Back), and I felt like I was going to vomit towards the end. I haven't been this jacked in years!
Old January 14 2010, 05:12 PM   #325
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'm surprised nobody has posted in here since the start of the new year. I figured people would be all about getting in shape with New Year's Resolutions and whatnot.

Than again, my gym's membership has actually declined. January is normally such a busy time, but there are fewer people there now than there were when I joined.
Old January 14 2010, 07:50 PM   #326
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

See, I don't get New Year's resolutions. If people want to lose weight, then they should do it for good and try to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Period. There doesn't have to be a specific date on the calendar when they can start being fit and healthy.
Old January 14 2010, 08:02 PM   #327
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, true, but I think it makes it easier for people to give themselves a starting point. New Years is just a good day to do that.

If it were me, though, I'd be a lot more motivated to start getting in shape in the spring. Winter makes people lazy, and if I wasn't already doing it regularly, I'd have a hard time getting myself to workout this time of year.
Old January 15 2010, 06:44 PM   #328
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I've been doing basic yoga stuff off of dvds and I can't believe how exhausted I get while barely moving! I did an ab one yesterday and I can definitely feel it today. But I can't wait to do more!
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2010, 06:48 PM   #329
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
See, I don't get New Year's resolutions. If people want to lose weight, then they should do it for good and try to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Period. There doesn't have to be a specific date on the calendar when they can start being fit and healthy.
I agree but if you start thinking about it in say October/November, Christmas is just around the corner and as if anyone doesn't overeat around then.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2010, 07:21 PM   #330
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

I understand the tendency to eat a lot during the holidays. But if people are so conscious about weight management, then they should try to eat healthy year-round. (And I know it's hard to diet during the holidays).

If we're talking about losing weight, why even call it a New Year's resolution? It sounds like people are trying to justify losing weight because of the New Year. Well, January 1, 2, 3, or 31 is just a date on the calendar. If people have weight to lose, it doesn't matter if it's Valentine's Day, Easter, the Fourth of July, or Yom Kippur.