Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 12 2010, 01:46 PM   #16
Lee
Commander

Re: eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

I just wanted to point out that any discussion of Apple's soon-to-be-released device should mention that this device will be backlit, just like normal computer displays and iPhones. Many people don't feel comfortable reading for long periods of time on a backlit screen. This is why the e-Ink technology used in the Kindle, Sony and Nook have proven to be so popular, it's just as comfortable reading on it as reading a physical book.

I have the Kindle app on my iPhone and I love it for when I want to read for ten minutes on the subway. But if I'm going to do some serious reading (say, longer than 20 minutes), I go to my Kindle. I would never want to do that kind of reading on a backlit screen.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 02:10 PM   #17
Judith Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

Lee wrote: View Post
I just wanted to point out that any discussion of Apple's soon-to-be-released device should mention that this device will be backlit, just like normal computer displays and iPhones. Many people don't feel comfortable reading for long periods of time on a backlit screen. This is why the e-Ink technology used in the Kindle, Sony and Nook have proven to be so popular, it's just as comfortable reading on it as reading a physical book.

I have the Kindle app on my iPhone and I love it for when I want to read for ten minutes on the subway. But if I'm going to do some serious reading (say, longer than 20 minutes), I go to my Kindle. I would never want to do that kind of reading on a backlit screen.
QFT

I have the B&N eReader on my BlackBerry, but I never stay on it for long. I'll pull out my nook if I'm planning to read for a lengthier period of time.

JS
Judith Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 09:43 PM   #18
snakespeare
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to snakespeare

JWolf wrote: View Post
snakespeare wrote: View Post
The Apple Tablet, possibly called the iSlate, is only a few weeks from being announced. Availability is rumored to be a mere month away. I would wait.
If there is going to be such a device, it won't be an eBook reader. So keep it out of the equation as it doesn't fit.
I can read PDF format on my iPod Touch. I expect the tablet to use the iPod/iPhone OS, but even if it uses Snow Leopard it will still support Acrobat.

Lee wrote:

The backlight doesn't bother me. I read a computer screen for 8+ hrs a day. On a bus when the ambient light is constantly changing, it is a bit of an irritation, though. But on the other hand, it is rarely sunny in Portland Oregon. :-)
snakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2010, 12:09 PM   #19
JWolf
Commodore

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
Thanks for the info. Yesterday, I went to a B&N with an expert on the Nook. I learned that B&N DRM book files are epub format. So I can read them on any device which will read ePub format. Fortunately, they are back ordered until 2/12. So I have plenty of time to research. Good thing to, cause I'm torn between this and upgrading my 6yo laptop.

As for the iSlate, I got the impression it is a tablet PC. The prices are rumored to be $700 and up. If it is a eReader, I hope they'll support ePubs to.

I'm not an author, but I've thought about taking a crack at writing a short story. With this new technology, is it becoming new authors to get published?
B&N's ePub has a different DRM that most readers do not yet support. Also, the nook's software is a bit buggy. It seems it was rushed to release.

As for this mythical tablet from Apple, if such a thing was to be made real, it would have anumber of downsides, the price, battery life, it's from Apple, it could be just a larger iPod Touch and that would mean a very closed system. All in all, it won't be a reasonable eBook reader if it was to someday be real.
Old January 15 2010, 03:30 PM   #20
snakespeare
Commander

As for this mythical tablet from Apple, if such a thing was to be made real, it would have anumber of downsides, the price, battery life, it's from Apple, it could be just a larger iPod Touch and that would mean a very closed system. All in all, it won't be a reasonable eBook reader if it was to someday be real.
I think we need to preserve this prediction. I predict the opposite. I predict it will change publishing. But it's going to be announced in about 3 weeks, so it's not a "myth".
Old January 15 2010, 04:24 PM   #21
JWolf
Commodore

I think we need to preserve this prediction. I predict the opposite. I predict it will change publishing. But it's going to be announced in about 3 weeks, so it's not a "myth".
To be honest, it's not going to change a thing should it be real. It'll just be over expensive and the first version will not be worth buying. It won't be a game changer. ePub already has the inroads with readers via ADE with many companies. The iPhone/iPod Touch have not changed anything. The Macbook air changed nothing. Apple products are nice to look at, but game changing? nope.
Old January 15 2010, 06:42 PM   #22
snakespeare
Commander

To be honest, it's not going to change a thing should it be real. It'll just be over expensive and the first version will not be worth buying. It won't be a game changer. ePub already has the inroads with readers via ADE with many companies. The iPhone/iPod Touch have not changed anything. The Macbook air changed nothing. Apple products are nice to look at, but game changing? nope.
Well, that is a strong opinion. I don't agree at all, but this is not thread for it. I will only say that iTunes changed the music industry, the Mac UI changed the personal computer, and the iPhone is still the one thing the competition wants to take down. I expect the iTablet (or whatever it will be called) to do the same for the news media and eReaders. You don't. Since neither of us has a crystal ball, we are both guessing.

Do you work for MicroSoft? I'm not asking this sarcastically. You just sound like someone with a vested interest. I don't work for Apple, but I have been an Apple user consistently for 26 years. I have also used PCs for even longer, as my job requires that I use the same platform as my customer, and that can change on a daily basis. I say this soley to give full disclosure. You?
Old January 19 2010, 01:18 AM   #23
JWolf
Commodore

According to Nokia, Apple stole some of the iPhone from them. So who knows. And Apple stole the GUI from Xerox.
Old January 19 2010, 03:22 PM   #24
Kataaran
Lieutenant Commander

The iPhone/iPod Touch have not changed anything. The Macbook air changed nothing. Apple products are nice to look at, but game changing? nope.
LOL. Apple don't revolutionise but they do take what exists and evolve it. The app store has forced a lot of other phone companies to build their own. Then there's the iPod. I hear people say "I want an iPod" not an "MP3 player". Apple products outsell their competitors products not by being cutting edge but by being usable for the masses.

Would I like a radio in my iPhone? Yes. A more open way to customise it? Yes. But I trade that because it's so much better than the Winmo crap I used for years that crashed and was unintuitive to use.

The Macbook Air however is a big pile of pants.
Kataaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2010, 10:42 PM   #25
reech
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View reech's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to reech Send a message via Yahoo to reech

I moved on from on iPaq to using eReader on an iPod Touch but yes, as people have said, any type of 'lit screen' for reading books does really tax your eyes. I could quite happily use the device for reading a few pages when bookless, bored, and brain-starved, but to actually *sit down and read* in the house, I just couldn't stand it.

My e-ink reader is much better for that type of reading. Yes, as a geek, I want a device that can 'do it all' but that's a way off yet.
reech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2010, 06:04 PM   #26
snakespeare
Commander

According to Nokia, Apple stole some of the iPhone from them. So who knows. And Apple stole the GUI from Xerox.
As a former Xerox employee, I know the truth. Xerox chose to terminate the PARC project and the engineers contacted Steve Jobs of their own volition seeking to continue their work. Apple hired all of them and increased their pay. This is still talked about in Webster, NY with regret, not to mention in Palo Alto, CA.

I notice you have not answered my question, and you continue to display characteristics of someone who has a vested interest. So I will, for now, assume that you work in Redmond. I have friends who work there, and they all hate Apple.

Tell me, how does it feel to know that the CES was dominated by discussions concerning a device that did not yet exist from a company who did not attend? LOL!

As to whether the iPad (the latest rumored name) will affect the change that the Kindle has been trying to accomplish for a few years, we'll see. It's coming out one week from today. So I'm not going to buy any eReader or Kindle until I see what this new device can do.
Old January 20 2010, 06:33 PM   #27
tmclough
Lieutenant Commander

So I will, for now, assume that you work in Redmond.
Don't forget, he also worships Sony.
Old January 21 2010, 07:57 PM   #28
JWolf
Commodore

As a former Xerox employee, I know the truth. Xerox chose to terminate the PARC project and the engineers contacted Steve Jobs of their own volition seeking to continue their work. Apple hired all of them and increased their pay. This is still talked about in Webster, NY with regret, not to mention in Palo Alto, CA.

I notice you have not answered my question, and you continue to display characteristics of someone who has a vested interest. So I will, for now, assume that you work in Redmond. I have friends who work there, and they all hate Apple.

Tell me, how does it feel to know that the CES was dominated by discussions concerning a device that did not yet exist from a company who did not attend? LOL!

As to whether the iPad (the latest rumored name) will affect the change that the Kindle has been trying to accomplish for a few years, we'll see. It's coming out one week from today. So I'm not going to buy any eReader or Kindle until I see what this new device can do.
So your waiting for a device that may or may not be real. That's silly. Plus, one of the features of a reader is 8+ hours of battery life. The odds are that if this thing ever exists, it won't have 8+ hours.
Old January 21 2010, 08:03 PM   #29
JWolf
Commodore

tmclough wrote: View Post
So I will, for now, assume that you work in Redmond.
Don't forget, he also worships Sony.
My opinions are my own. I don't work for anyone who influence my opinions. I just happen to like Sony Readers.
Old January 21 2010, 08:52 PM   #30
snakespeare
Commander

So your waiting for a device that may or may not be real. That's silly. Plus, one of the features of a reader is 8+ hours of battery life. The odds are that if this thing ever exists, it won't have 8+ hours.
You are still in denial? January 27th. Be there.