CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 14 2010, 09:20 PM   #91
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
You're looking for Ed Zwick moments in a Tarantino film, JA, and it wouldn't work at all.
An adept comparison since he directed Defiance, another Nazi-themed film. I rather enjoyed it, even though Inglourious Basterds exhibited better craftsmanship. Despite my numerous problems with that movie, it has some of the best sequences featured in a movie of last year, including the prologue with Hans Landa questioning the dairy farmer, which was Hitchcockian in its slow, progressive build of suspense.
Old January 14 2010, 09:40 PM   #92
CaptainCanada
Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
[Sure, but the film does little to give any depth to any of the Basterds. They are caricatures, driven only by their pure and unadulterated hatred for Nazi's and Germans alike. Which is why they are no better than the Nazi's. They gleefully exterminate the Nazi's with as much relish as the Nazi's would exterminate a Jew. So how does that make them better? Yes, the film sparingly humanizes some individual Nazi soldiers, but it gives barely any character development or humanization to any of the Basterds themselves, making them hollow and vapid.

Furthermore, it would have been nice if perhaps one of the characters eventually had some type of emotional epiphany for senselessly killing so many people without a single thought or hesitation. It would have added depth and humanized some of the Basterds a bit, but no, there is no second's thought or any sign of remorse or hesitancy. They are stock standard, one-dimensional characters and they are boring and listless because of it.
But the film's not really about the Basterds; for most of the movie, in fact, they're not in it.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 09:45 PM   #93
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
[Sure, but the film does little to give any depth to any of the Basterds. They are caricatures, driven only by their pure and unadulterated hatred for Nazi's and Germans alike. Which is why they are no better than the Nazi's. They gleefully exterminate the Nazi's with as much relish as the Nazi's would exterminate a Jew. So how does that make them better? Yes, the film sparingly humanizes some individual Nazi soldiers, but it gives barely any character development or humanization to any of the Basterds themselves, making them hollow and vapid.

Furthermore, it would have been nice if perhaps one of the characters eventually had some type of emotional epiphany for senselessly killing so many people without a single thought or hesitation. It would have added depth and humanized some of the Basterds a bit, but no, there is no second's thought or any sign of remorse or hesitancy. They are stock standard, one-dimensional characters and they are boring and listless because of it.
But the film's not really about the Basterds; for most of the movie, in fact, they're not in it.
Yes, another point which I touch upon. For a movie about Nazi killing there's sparsely any Nazi killing. So even on that level it fails.
Old January 14 2010, 09:51 PM   #94
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Yes, another point which I touch upon. For a movie about Nazi killing there's sparsely any Nazi killing. So even on that level it fails.
It's more about people talking about killing than it is about killing.

This is Tarantino, after all.
Old January 14 2010, 09:52 PM   #95
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
It's more about people talking about killing than it is about killing.

This is Tarantino, after all.
Another reason why I don't like Tarantino. Film is a visual medium. That's why there's the adage "Show, don't tell".
Old January 14 2010, 10:01 PM   #96
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

If the Nazi killing was more frequent then the scenes of Nazi killing wouldn't pack as much punch as they do. And Tarantino is one of the most gifted directors around in terms of mise en scène. His visuals are impeccable. And when you add his flair for dialogue into the mix it's a potent combination.
Old January 14 2010, 10:15 PM   #97
Kegg
Rear Admiral

If the Nazi killing was more frequent then the scenes of Nazi killing wouldn't pack as much punch as they do. And Tarantino is one of the most gifted directors around in terms of mise en scène. His visuals are impeccable. And when you add his flair for dialogue into the mix it's a potent combination.
Indeed. There doesn't feel like there is a single wasted moment in the film.

We don't need to dwell on the Basterds any more than the film does, and the scenes we do get are plenty amusing. The film isn't just about Nazi killing and the Basterds, they're merely one part of a rather elaborately woven plot.

I do think the advertising for the movie was a little deceptive in that regard. I went in expecting a kind of Seven Jewish American Samurai slay Nazis sort of movie; but I did love what I got.
Old January 14 2010, 10:37 PM   #98
CaptainCanada
Admiral

That's not really the story he's telling, hence, why he doesn't centre on it. The trailers certainly present the film that way (probably because it's the most marketable angle and the only plotline that has characters talking without subtitles).
Kegg wrote: View Post
Indeed. There doesn't feel like there is a single wasted moment in the film.
Some parts of Part 4 I thought were a bit flabby; I'd have cut most of the scene with the British officers talking about the operation. I've gone back and forth on the bar scene between whether it's overlong or pretty much perfect; I lean toward the latter.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 10:48 PM   #99
Kegg
Rear Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Some parts of Part 4 I thought were a bit flabby; I'd have cut most of the scene with the British officers talking about the operation.
Eh, I liked that bit because of all the silly British-ness of it, and, obviously, as a fake-out (it's implying that these guys and any of this will have relevance later), but yes, not the best scene in the film.

I've gone back and forth on the bar scene between whether it's overlong or pretty much perfect; I lean toward the latter.
I think it's overlongingly perfect.
Old January 14 2010, 10:51 PM   #100
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

I like Pulp Fiction and to a degree Kill Bill. I wanted to like Inglourious Basterds. I even like black comedy. I guess I'm just defunct.
Old January 14 2010, 10:56 PM   #101
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Have you seen Jackie Brown, JA? It's probably the Tarantino film that would best fit your sensibilities.
Old January 14 2010, 10:57 PM   #102
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Have you seen Jackie Brown, JA? It's probably the Tarantino film that would best fit your sensibilities.
I was bored out of my mind watching Jackie Brown. I guess I've just never been able to connect with any of Tarantino's movies. I only enjoy Pulp Fiction on a superficial level. Same goes for Kill Bill, even though I think Kill Bill: Vol. 2 is pretty good in certain areas.
Old January 14 2010, 11:02 PM   #103
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I was bored out of my mind watching Jackie Brown. I guess I've just never been able to connect with any of Tarantino's movies.
Ah, well, I guess he's just not your cup of tea then.
Old January 14 2010, 11:04 PM   #104
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

I was bored out of my mind watching Jackie Brown. I guess I've just never been able to connect with any of Tarantino's movies.
Ah, well, I guess he's just not your cup of tea then.
I think I like more psychological and emotional stories. That's why I've always enjoyed Christopher Nolan and Bryan Singer's movies. They aren't overly dominated by style, like Tarantino, and they have a really good balance of story and character.
Old January 14 2010, 11:08 PM   #105
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

That's why I thought you might connect with Jackie Brown since it has more focus on characterization and emotion than other Tarantino films, but alas...