RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,130
Posts: 5,433,509
Members: 24,933
Currently online: 550
Newest member: karanfree

TrekToday headlines

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 14 2010, 09:20 PM   #91
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
You're looking for Ed Zwick moments in a Tarantino film, JA, and it wouldn't work at all.
An adept comparison since he directed Defiance, another Nazi-themed film. I rather enjoyed it, even though Inglourious Basterds exhibited better craftsmanship. Despite my numerous problems with that movie, it has some of the best sequences featured in a movie of last year, including the prologue with Hans Landa questioning the dairy farmer, which was Hitchcockian in its slow, progressive build of suspense.
__________________
"Please... We need you to hope again... " - Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men: Days of Future Past
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 09:40 PM   #92
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
[Sure, but the film does little to give any depth to any of the Basterds. They are caricatures, driven only by their pure and unadulterated hatred for Nazi's and Germans alike. Which is why they are no better than the Nazi's. They gleefully exterminate the Nazi's with as much relish as the Nazi's would exterminate a Jew. So how does that make them better? Yes, the film sparingly humanizes some individual Nazi soldiers, but it gives barely any character development or humanization to any of the Basterds themselves, making them hollow and vapid.

Furthermore, it would have been nice if perhaps one of the characters eventually had some type of emotional epiphany for senselessly killing so many people without a single thought or hesitation. It would have added depth and humanized some of the Basterds a bit, but no, there is no second's thought or any sign of remorse or hesitancy. They are stock standard, one-dimensional characters and they are boring and listless because of it.
But the film's not really about the Basterds; for most of the movie, in fact, they're not in it.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 09:45 PM   #93
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
[Sure, but the film does little to give any depth to any of the Basterds. They are caricatures, driven only by their pure and unadulterated hatred for Nazi's and Germans alike. Which is why they are no better than the Nazi's. They gleefully exterminate the Nazi's with as much relish as the Nazi's would exterminate a Jew. So how does that make them better? Yes, the film sparingly humanizes some individual Nazi soldiers, but it gives barely any character development or humanization to any of the Basterds themselves, making them hollow and vapid.

Furthermore, it would have been nice if perhaps one of the characters eventually had some type of emotional epiphany for senselessly killing so many people without a single thought or hesitation. It would have added depth and humanized some of the Basterds a bit, but no, there is no second's thought or any sign of remorse or hesitancy. They are stock standard, one-dimensional characters and they are boring and listless because of it.
But the film's not really about the Basterds; for most of the movie, in fact, they're not in it.
Yes, another point which I touch upon. For a movie about Nazi killing there's sparsely any Nazi killing. So even on that level it fails.
__________________
"Please... We need you to hope again... " - Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men: Days of Future Past
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 09:51 PM   #94
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Yes, another point which I touch upon. For a movie about Nazi killing there's sparsely any Nazi killing. So even on that level it fails.
It's more about people talking about killing than it is about killing.

This is Tarantino, after all.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 09:52 PM   #95
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Kegg wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Yes, another point which I touch upon. For a movie about Nazi killing there's sparsely any Nazi killing. So even on that level it fails.
It's more about people talking about killing than it is about killing.

This is Tarantino, after all.
Another reason why I don't like Tarantino. Film is a visual medium. That's why there's the adage "Show, don't tell".
__________________
"Please... We need you to hope again... " - Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men: Days of Future Past
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 10:01 PM   #96
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

If the Nazi killing was more frequent then the scenes of Nazi killing wouldn't pack as much punch as they do. And Tarantino is one of the most gifted directors around in terms of mise en scène. His visuals are impeccable. And when you add his flair for dialogue into the mix it's a potent combination.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 10:15 PM   #97
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
If the Nazi killing was more frequent then the scenes of Nazi killing wouldn't pack as much punch as they do. And Tarantino is one of the most gifted directors around in terms of mise en scène. His visuals are impeccable. And when you add his flair for dialogue into the mix it's a potent combination.
Indeed. There doesn't feel like there is a single wasted moment in the film.

We don't need to dwell on the Basterds any more than the film does, and the scenes we do get are plenty amusing. The film isn't just about Nazi killing and the Basterds, they're merely one part of a rather elaborately woven plot.

I do think the advertising for the movie was a little deceptive in that regard. I went in expecting a kind of Seven Jewish American Samurai slay Nazis sort of movie; but I did love what I got.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 10:37 PM   #98
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Yes, another point which I touch upon. For a movie about Nazi killing there's sparsely any Nazi killing. So even on that level it fails.
That's not really the story he's telling, hence, why he doesn't centre on it. The trailers certainly present the film that way (probably because it's the most marketable angle and the only plotline that has characters talking without subtitles).
Kegg wrote: View Post
Indeed. There doesn't feel like there is a single wasted moment in the film.
Some parts of Part 4 I thought were a bit flabby; I'd have cut most of the scene with the British officers talking about the operation. I've gone back and forth on the bar scene between whether it's overlong or pretty much perfect; I lean toward the latter.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 10:48 PM   #99
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Some parts of Part 4 I thought were a bit flabby; I'd have cut most of the scene with the British officers talking about the operation.
Eh, I liked that bit because of all the silly British-ness of it, and, obviously, as a fake-out (it's implying that these guys and any of this will have relevance later), but yes, not the best scene in the film.

I've gone back and forth on the bar scene between whether it's overlong or pretty much perfect; I lean toward the latter.
I think it's overlongingly perfect.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 10:51 PM   #100
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

I like Pulp Fiction and to a degree Kill Bill. I wanted to like Inglourious Basterds. I even like black comedy. I guess I'm just defunct.
__________________
"Please... We need you to hope again... " - Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men: Days of Future Past
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 10:56 PM   #101
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Have you seen Jackie Brown, JA? It's probably the Tarantino film that would best fit your sensibilities.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 10:57 PM   #102
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Have you seen Jackie Brown, JA? It's probably the Tarantino film that would best fit your sensibilities.
I was bored out of my mind watching Jackie Brown. I guess I've just never been able to connect with any of Tarantino's movies. I only enjoy Pulp Fiction on a superficial level. Same goes for Kill Bill, even though I think Kill Bill: Vol. 2 is pretty good in certain areas.
__________________
"Please... We need you to hope again... " - Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men: Days of Future Past
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 11:02 PM   #103
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I was bored out of my mind watching Jackie Brown. I guess I've just never been able to connect with any of Tarantino's movies.
Ah, well, I guess he's just not your cup of tea then.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 11:04 PM   #104
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I was bored out of my mind watching Jackie Brown. I guess I've just never been able to connect with any of Tarantino's movies.
Ah, well, I guess he's just not your cup of tea then.
I think I like more psychological and emotional stories. That's why I've always enjoyed Christopher Nolan and Bryan Singer's movies. They aren't overly dominated by style, like Tarantino, and they have a really good balance of story and character.
__________________
"Please... We need you to hope again... " - Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men: Days of Future Past
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 11:08 PM   #105
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Movies Seen in 2010

That's why I thought you might connect with Jackie Brown since it has more focus on characterization and emotion than other Tarantino films, but alas...
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
movies

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.