Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 13 2010, 11:49 PM   #31
JD
Admiral

Re: Dune newbie questions

I was getting it off of Netflix, and that does appear to be the version that they have. It's three discs, does that mean anything in regards to the version?
Old January 13 2010, 11:52 PM   #32
JD
Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Does anyon know why they have Children of Dune on both ITunes and Amazon's Video on Deman, but not the Dune miniseries? It seems weird to me that they would have the second one but not the first. I know you guys have said it isn't very good, but I'm thinking about watching the David Lynch movie. I'm just really curious to compare the two versions.

You're gonna read the book first, right?
I'm actually thinking about watching the movie first. When I can I like to watch the movies at least once before I read the books, because it makes it easier for me to compare the two. Otherwards I don't remember enough details about the book to get a good feel for it.
Old January 14 2010, 12:21 AM   #33
Harvey
Admiral

I was getting it off of Netflix, and that does appear to be the version that they have. It's three discs, does that mean anything in regards to the version?
That's the director's cut.

The domestic version was released as a 2-DVD set.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 03:47 AM   #34
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I'm still annoyed that they never gave us a director's cut of Children of Dune.

Alia did her training sessions naked in the book.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 04:53 AM   #35
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't read the book first. That's how awesome it is.
Old January 14 2010, 07:18 AM   #36
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I don't think it will do much damage. I saw Lynch's film before I read the book and I've since read the book at least as many time as I've watched the film or Miniseries. Each is a substantially different experience. Plus of course from a "spoiler" perspective (if you can call it that) they differ a bit in how they end, at least in terms of emphasis.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 09:25 AM   #37
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post

[Perve mode] Did they actually film that version of the scene? [/Perve mode]
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2010, 03:37 PM   #38
JD
Admiral

I watched about half of the movie yesterday after I got off the boards, so far I like it. If anything it's made me want to read the book even more now. As for spoilers, I was already looking around at it's page on wikipedia, so I know some of the baics plot points. I don't mind spoilers.
Old January 14 2010, 04:08 PM   #39
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Great Mambo Chicken wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post

[Perve mode] Did they actually film that version of the scene? [/Perve mode]
Good question. Alia slips her clothes off after the scene for no obvious reason so that she's naked going into the next one, which suggests they might have. We'll probably never know, though.
Old January 15 2010, 01:13 AM   #40
JD
Admiral

Well, I finished the movie this morning, and it was ok. Are the Harkonnens that bizarre in the books? Because I think I remember reading somewhere that David Lynch went away from the books with some of their stuff. Which also brings up two other questions I had.
1) What was that hanging in the room when The Baron gave control of Dune to Raban (I think it was a cow, but I was on my Ipod so I couldn't tell for sure)
2)WTF was with the cat?
Old January 15 2010, 01:25 AM   #41
Harvey
Admiral

Lynch made the Harkonnens more...disgusting than they are in the book. Their depiction in the miniseries is more on point, especially with the Baron.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2010, 01:58 AM   #42
JD
Admiral

Glad to have that confirmed, they hurt the quality of the movie IMO. I usually don't mind weird and disturbing stuff, but they were a little to much for me. I have to admit though, it does make me wonder what his Return of the Jedi would have been like, especially Jaba.
Old January 15 2010, 02:13 AM   #43
Agenda
Fleet Captain

I just picked Dune a couple days ago, and I have a couple questions before I read it.
1) Which adaptation is better? I'm talking both general quality, and closeness to the book. A few years ago I tried to watch both of them, and I really liked the miniseries, but I didn't make it very far in the movie. I don't think they'd even gotten to Arrakis yet before I turned off the movie.
2) If I decide to continue the series what is the best order to read the sequels/prequels/interquels, midquels or whatever you want to call the new series?
1. I prefer the movie because it has style. Can't stand the first miniseries, but the second one is much better.

2. Don't read the prequels or all that other garbage. Please.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2010, 02:29 AM   #44
Reverend
Rear Admiral

As much as I do like Dune, I think in general, David Lynch films ought to have a disclaimer at the front of them; "Warning: The director of this film has a thing for bodily fluids, remain calm!"

But to answer your question, yes, the Harkonnen in the movie are much more...squishy than they are in the book and not nearly as sneaky. Rabban is actually about right (a mindless, sadistic brute who actually thinks he's the heir apparent) though Feyd-Rautha is supposed to be more of a dark, vain and spoilt reflection of Paul.
Having said all that though, while the "movie Baron" is of course much more extreme and psychotic, I think the original book version is actually allot more perverse, though you only get a little hint at the extent of his "tastes."

As for the cat...best not to ask. In the book they did impregnate Thufir with a poisen, but cat milking was defiantly not involved. Actually, if I remember it right, it was actually a precaution against his betrayal or escape and moreover he didn't know he'd been addicted as the Harkonnen were secretly feeding him the antidote. The idea being that to kill him, all they need to is withhold it.

Last edited by Reverend; January 15 2010 at 02:58 AM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2010, 02:33 AM   #45
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

The miniseries pretty much discarded the Hawat subplot. I didn't notice its absence.