Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old January 7 2010, 03:11 PM   #1
SianTrek
Cadet

Help needed for my dissertation on cult fandoms! please!!!!!!

Hi, I'm currently researching for my final dissertation at university and the title of my piece is: "Cult Fandoms within the Science Fiction genre". I am looking mainly at Star Trek for my specific research. I was just wondering why you think Star Trek became such a phenomenon with so many dedictated fans, what do you think the reason for this is? And what is it about the science fiction genre that creates such a buzz around its characters and production? And have you ever been to a science fiction convention, if so, what was the experience like?
If anyone wants to get in touch and reply that would be absolutely wonderful and a great help!!!
Any answers welcomed.
SianTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2010, 09:21 PM   #2
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Re: Help needed for my dissertation on cult fandoms! please!!!!!!

Might I suggest Star Trek Lives! by David Gerrold.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2010, 02:12 AM   #3
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I don't know that you're going to get a lot of people willing to contact you. There have been WAY too many cases of Trek fans being made to look like fools by the media, unfortunately.
Old January 8 2010, 05:14 AM   #4
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Mistral wrote: View Post
Might I suggest that David Gerrold did not write Star Trek Lives!; however, he did write "The Trouble With Tribbles" (book about the making of the episode) and The World of Star Trek.

Star Trek Lives! was written by Jacqueline Lichtenberg, Sondra Marshak, and Joan Winston.

The Making of the Trek Conventions by Joan Winston is another excellent book about early Star Trek fandom.

That said, there must be umpteen thousands of college/university papers about this very topic already. What angle do you intend to take on it that's original?

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2010, 06:08 AM   #5
sojourner
Admiral

Yea, just go rent the Trekkie movies. They covered this ground pretty much as thoroughly as you should need.

Or try a topic that is a little more original.

And Star Trek fans are positively main stream these days. You want "cult"? Google "Browncoats".
Old January 8 2010, 03:48 PM   #6
SianTrek
Cadet

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at what makes a person connect with a certain programme on a deep and extensive level, engulfing their life within it. Star Trek I know has such a tremendous fan base, but I am also looking at The Rocky Horror Picture Show; a stage show that is the longest theatrical run in history and how the fans still get caught up and are intrigued into this 'mad' world, over 30 years after the first production was made. I find it fascinating how a programme can change someones life, so to speak, and the obvious connections between 'reality and fantasy' that are there. What is it for you that makes Star Trek so profound? I would really like personal experiences, thoughts or ideas that you have on this subject as have read numerous academic reports, but what I now need is a fans thoughts on this.
Would be very much appreciated!
Old January 8 2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Mistral wrote: View Post
Might I suggest that David Gerrold did not write Star Trek Lives!; however, he did write "The Trouble With Tribbles" (book about the making of the episode) and The World of Star Trek.

Star Trek Lives! was written by Jacqueline Lichtenberg, Sondra Marshak, and Joan Winston.

The Making of the Trek Conventions by Joan Winston is another excellent book about early Star Trek fandom.

That said, there must be umpteen thousands of college/university papers about this very topic already. What angle do you intend to take on it that's original?
Hey, its been 20 yrs, don't break my balls here. Whoever wrote it, it's a good starting point.

ed.- Perhaps you should read this:

http://forums.adastrafanfic.com/index.php?topic=387.0

I think you might find it interesting in regards to your project.

Last edited by Mistral; January 8 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2010, 11:53 PM   #8
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

My only response to this would be to ask that you please use the term "Popular culture", and not the word "cult", as that has kind of a negative connotation. It's just my own personal take that I've never been fond of the term "cult", when assigned to science-fiction, or any type of popular culture following.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 05:42 PM   #9
SianTrek
Cadet

Why are you a fan of star trek? It's a pretty simple question to answer!