Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 12 2010, 01:22 AM   #46
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Re: Dr Who/Star Trek Crossover WAS planned by RTD

True that, altho I bet she and Scotty were gettin' freaky in the background LOL.

Thx for helping with that title!

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 01:26 AM   #47
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Tomalak wrote: View Post
It wouldn't work, for the simple reason that the styles of the two are so different. Star Trek characters (Starfleet anyway) are rather po-faced, whereas the Doctor comes across as a carefree mischief-maker.

Basically the Trek characters would treat him like Q, Trelane, The Outrageous Okona, or Harry Mudd, and they would be like any number of the various blustering space ship crews the Doctor has met over the years..
At first they would - and then he'd team up with them and save the day and they'd realise they're wrong.
I'm not even so sure they would react this way in this particular case, at least not all of them. Sure, the Doctor would kind of cause chaos on the Enterprise (well, maybe Nine less so than Ten) but Archer was pretty easy and in my opinion would be more amused by the Doctor's antics than anything. Reed would probably be angry at first but it would be a nice way for him to learn that there are other ways than his rigid self-discipline.
Well, I'm one of the few people who really liked ENT, so it would have been great. Actually, it would have been great for the clash of cultures behind the scenes alone.
I'd love to see the Doctor cross swords with Daniels and his precious temporal prime directive, telling him things like, "Who are you exactly? What? My people practically invented time travel, don't tell me what I can and can't do!" Or maybe link Section 31 to Torchwood or Daniel's group to UNIT...you know, have Daniels know who the Doctor is and run about saluting him, etc.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 01:56 AM   #48
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I still think the best DW/ST crossover would be Tom Baker's Doc meeting Kirk's crew. Lots of larger than life characters all round there, while I think Baker and Nimoy would have meshed well. While he and Shatner could have competed in the overacting stakes ...
That was actually done in writing about 20 years ago. I read it in an old mag that I think was called Fantasy Empire (but don't quote me on that title). I want to say John Peel concocted it, but I could be wrong.
I suspect, Peacemaker, that you're thinking of Jean Airey's "The Doctor and the Enterprise," which was published originally back in 1981 in a fanzine, and then reprinting in other fanzines (like Enterprise Encounters) subsequently. And then there was the Pioneer Press version where all the characters were renamed so that it could sold as satire and Hal Schuster could make a quick buck.

Curiously, there's been some recent discussion of the story. There's an ongoing thread in Treklit where there's some mention of Airey's story, and there's a thread in the Fan Fic forum as well.

The mention by Tomalak of Sarah is puzzling, as she doesn't appear in "The Doctor and the Enterprise." The fourth Doctor is traveling alone with K-9, so I've always placed it during the the "Invasion of Time"/"Ribos Operation" gap.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 02:43 AM   #49
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I still think the best DW/ST crossover would be Tom Baker's Doc meeting Kirk's crew. Lots of larger than life characters all round there, while I think Baker and Nimoy would have meshed well. While he and Shatner could have competed in the overacting stakes ...
You know the 4th Doctor (well sort of) did appear in a TOS novel for like a few seconds. I believe it was My Enemy, My Ally.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 02:59 AM   #50
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
You know the 4th Doctor (well sort of) did appear in a TOS novel for like a few seconds. I believe it was My Enemy, My Ally.
Correct. Uhura is watching an episode in the Rec Room.

It is not, however, a Tom Baker episode that actually exists.

The Doctor also appears, as a character, in Ishmael, and Cervantes Quinn of the Vanguard novels has a sonic screwdriver he stole off of an eccentric man.
Old January 12 2010, 03:05 AM   #51
Snick27
Captain

I want Who/Star Trek Voyager cross over. Doctor would of loved the Doctor aboard Voyager and he could of took out the whole Borg Collective with his sonic screw driver. Would of loved to seen more 7of 9 though. Her and his Sonic Hmmmm
Snick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 03:13 AM   #52
Sci
Admiral

Snick27 wrote: View Post
Doctor would of loved the Doctor aboard Voyager and he could of took out the whole Borg Collective with his sonic screw driver.
I sincerely doubt that the Doctor could've taken out the entire Collective with just a sonic screwdriver. Certainly he was never able to take out all of the Cybermen that way.
Old January 12 2010, 03:35 AM   #53
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

I want Who/Star Trek Voyager cross over. Doctor would of loved the Doctor aboard Voyager and he could of took out the whole Borg Collective with his sonic screw driver. Would of loved to seen more 7of 9 though. Her and his Sonic Hmmmm
IIRC, Lonemagpie proposed a Voyager novel which would have pitted the crew against "Koschei".

Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 03:40 AM   #54
Lonemagpie
Writer

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
IIRC its the rec chief and Uhura trying to get an episode to play in full 3d Holonovel fashion...

Unless that's in Ishmael, speaking of which

The Doctor also appears, as a character, in Ishmael, .
Two of them! (Two and Four) plus Han Solo, Starbuck and Apollo, and various others... Then there's the Brig and a Sgt Benson (sic) in How Much For Just The Planet

Of course us DW writers have done similar in-jokes for years. But on the more straightforward front... I dunno whether I should admit to this, but you if listen to Unregenerate and read On The Spot, that's the same alien species...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 03:41 AM   #55
Lonemagpie
Writer

Turbo wrote: View Post
IIRC, Lonemagpie proposed a Voyager novel which would have pitted the crew against "Koschei".

He wouldn't necessarily have been the same guy - just the name as a nod.

Old January 12 2010, 03:46 AM   #56
Turbo
Vice Admiral

Ah, I've gotten a line or two crossed somewhere. I tried to pull up the summary linked from Steve Roby's site to double-check if it was the character or just the name, but said summary seems to have vanished.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Old January 12 2010, 03:56 AM   #57
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
IIRC its the rec chief and Uhura trying to get an episode to play in full 3d Holonovel fashion...
Harb Tazner, yeah.

Of course us DW writers have done similar in-jokes for years.
Aren't the Rihannsu mentioned in one of your books? White Darkness, maybe?

If I could figure out the right angle, there's a Who-ish Star Trek anthology that I'd pitch to Pocket.
Old January 12 2010, 03:59 AM   #58
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

I tried to pull up the summary linked from Steve Roby's site to double-check if it was the character or just the name, but said summary seems to have vanished.
Try here.
Old January 12 2010, 04:08 AM   #59
Turbo
Vice Admiral

I tried to pull up the summary linked from Steve Roby's site to double-check if it was the character or just the name, but said summary seems to have vanished.
Try here.
Excellent, thanks. I guess Google changed the way they access Usenet.
Old January 12 2010, 02:43 PM   #60
Lonemagpie
Writer

Of course us DW writers have done similar in-jokes for years.
Aren't the Rihannsu mentioned in one of your books? White Darkness, maybe?
And spelled wrong, yes.

Ace swears in Klingon in First Frontier, and Benny mentions Romulan Ale in Sanctuary.

Thing is, I used to make as many, if not more, references to Spaghetti Westerns, Bond movies, Rocky Horror etc, and the Trek ones are all that anybody seemed to notice - or at least to complain about.