RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,720
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 781
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 11 2010, 08:27 PM   #31
The Comedian
Captain

Re: Dr Who/Star Trek Crossover WAS planned by RTD

Screw Enterprise.

After the latest movie, the Doctor needs to show up and take Old Spock home. Old Spock knows too much...and THERE would be some fascinating interaction.

In fact, since we're fanwanking, let's go all out and have Spock travel with the Doctor for a while...
Old January 11 2010, 08:35 PM   #32
Lonemagpie
Writer

EJA wrote: View Post
I reckon such a crossover could maybe work in a comic book or a novel, but not on TV, no.
John Peel and I mulled this over on email about a decade ago, but never took it anywhere...

You could have the Doctor visit the Trek-verse easily - it'd just be another location for an adventure. That's the thing about DW- there are *no* limits.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 08:53 PM   #33
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

It wouldn't work, for the simple reason that the styles of the two are so different. Star Trek characters (Starfleet anyway) are rather po-faced, whereas the Doctor comes across as a carefree mischief-maker.

Basically the Trek characters would treat him like Q, Trelane, The Outrageous Okona, or Harry Mudd, and they would be like any number of the various blustering space ship crews the Doctor has met over the years.

I like the idea of the pastiche of a Star Trek-style ship.
Old January 11 2010, 08:53 PM   #34
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

It wouldn't work, for the simple reason that the styles of the two are so different. Star Trek characters (Starfleet anyway) are rather po-faced, whereas the Doctor comes across as a carefree mischief-maker.

Basically the Trek characters would treat him like Q, Trelane, The Outrageous Okona, or Harry Mudd, and they would be like any number of the various blustering space ship crews the Doctor has met over the years.

Old January 11 2010, 09:31 PM   #35
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Tomalak wrote: View Post
Try The Blue Angel by Paul Magrs and Jeremy Hoad. Among the many things that book is, it's also a K/S novel.

I annoyed John Ordover once when I suggested that The Blue Angel was the best Star Trek novel published that year. That it said Doctor Who on the cover was beside the point.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 09:34 PM   #36
Lonemagpie
Writer

Basically the Trek characters would treat him like Q, Trelane, The Outrageous Okona, or Harry Mudd, and they would be like any number of the various blustering space ship crews the Doctor has met over the years..
At first they would - and then he'd team up with them and save the day and they'd realise they're wrong.

The whole point of DW is that you can put him into *any* style of setup or series - cop show, western, period drama, horror, reality show... And he'll still fit.

The only people who think "oh, they won't fit" are really fans of one series who look down on the other.

Now, they wouldn't work as a regular thing, or a series: Star Trek Gallifrey wouldn't work, cos Trek is all about (Western) humans pulling together for truth, justice and the American Way, while DW is about individual libery and responsibility - but on a single, individual basis, a visit from the Doctor would pretty much equate to an episode where one of the crew discovers that they *can* do what it takes because they're an individual.

Old January 11 2010, 09:53 PM   #37
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Doctor Who crossed with nuBSG.
Old January 11 2010, 09:59 PM   #38
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I still think the best DW/ST crossover would be Tom Baker's Doc meeting Kirk's crew. Lots of larger than life characters all round there, while I think Baker and Nimoy would have meshed well. While he and Shatner could have competed in the overacting stakes ...
Old January 11 2010, 10:43 PM   #39
knine
Commander

If I were to pick one show for Doctor Who to do a cross over with, it would be The X-Files.
knine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 11:34 PM   #40
Lonemagpie
Writer

knine wrote: View Post
If I were to pick one show for Doctor Who to do a cross over with, it would be The X-Files.
I always, always *always* wished that in one of those shots when they have the conspirators (John Neville etc) gathered together in a plush room they could have squeezed Nick Courtney in in the background...

Old January 11 2010, 11:51 PM   #41
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I still think the best DW/ST crossover would be Tom Baker's Doc meeting Kirk's crew. Lots of larger than life characters all round there, while I think Baker and Nimoy would have meshed well. While he and Shatner could have competed in the overacting stakes ...
That was actually done in writing about 20 years ago. I read it in an old mag that I think was called Fantasy Empire (but don't quote me on that title). I want to say John Peel concocted it,but I could be wrong.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 12:21 AM   #42
Starkers
Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
knine wrote: View Post
I always, always *always* wished that in one of those shots when they have the conspirators (John Neville etc) gathered together in a plush room they could have squeezed Nick Courtney in in the background...
That would have been so cool!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 12:30 AM   #43
Count Zero
Guess who's back

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post

Basically the Trek characters would treat him like Q, Trelane, The Outrageous Okona, or Harry Mudd, and they would be like any number of the various blustering space ship crews the Doctor has met over the years..
At first they would - and then he'd team up with them and save the day and they'd realise they're wrong.
I'm not even so sure they would react this way in this particular case, at least not all of them. Sure, the Doctor would kind of cause chaos on the Enterprise (well, maybe Nine less so than Ten) but Archer was pretty easy and in my opinion would be more amused by the Doctor's antics than anything. Reed would probably be angry at first but it would be a nice way for him to learn that there are other ways than his rigid self-discipline.
Well, I'm one of the few people who really liked ENT, so it would have been great. Actually, it would have been great for the clash of cultures behind the scenes alone.
Old January 12 2010, 01:01 AM   #44
arch101
Fleet Captain

I think I would have enjoyed this. Since Ent was so heavy with time travel and interference from the future, it kind of makes sense to have a time traveler eventually cross paths with the Ent crew. If there were continuity problems between the two shows, maybe the crossover events could have happened in the 22nd century of the parallel universe where Rose eventually ended up. That would eliminate the problem of no Who characters (Daleks, Galifrey, etc) in the Trekverse while there is obviously no federation in the Whoverse.
Old January 12 2010, 01:04 AM   #45
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
That was actually done in writing about 20 years ago. I read it in an old mag that I think was called Fantasy Empire (but don't quote me on that title). I want to say John Peel concocted it,but I could be wrong.
I've read that, it's "the Doctor" on the Enterprise, but the character is pretty unrecognisable. And Sarah just stays mute for the majority of the story, because the author clearly hadn't a clue what to do with her. It's not very well written.