Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 7 2010, 12:33 AM   #331
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
I guess overall I prefer episodes that deal with the broader setting of the series (the more space operatic elements, perhaps) than yet another episode where something makes people on Moya act crazy. Again.
You may like the direction the series is headed in, then; though it's never going to lose the 'weird stuff happens on Moya' plotlines... not that those don't, well...

I'll blather a bit about that after the "Liars, Guns and Money" arc.
Old January 7 2010, 03:18 AM   #332
Dar70
Rear Admiral

coolghoul wrote: View Post
Since you just finished it... Tell me if the last 6-7 eps for season 4 weren't great. Somehow, I feel, s3 gets all the love and the last half of s4 gets none. While I think they are comparable - but most fans think otherwise.

I know.... I'm looking for external validation... Pathetic...

Still - anybody? I can't be the only one...
I loved them, as well as the beginning of S4. I had forgotten much of the first 13 episodes. Truth be told theres really not one episode of Farscape I hate. Yeah a few went a little to campy but it always fell into place at the last moement and got dramatic and serious again.

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
Trent - Any thoughts on S1's end-of-season arc?
I generally enjoyed it. I didn't find "A Bug's Life" as rave-worthy as others had suggested, but the duology on the Gammak Base and the finale itself were good. "Bone to be Wild"... I think it would have been a solid episode elsewhere, but a planet-of-the-week story in the middle of the arc felt rather out of place. I guess overall I prefer episodes that deal with the broader setting of the series (the more space operatic elements, perhaps) than yet another episode where something makes people on Moya act crazy. Again.

Thinking more about the first half of the second season, something that's been consistently bugging me is Crichton: he seems to be perma-pissed, always shouting and closed-off. The sense of wonder and discovery, and the productive value of the outsider role, seem to have vanished. I suppose it makes sense in light of his experiences at the end of last season, but there's a problem when your lead character and only human isn't, well, particularly humane. Right now it's Zhaan and Chiana with whom I find myself sympathizing the most.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
*****Spoliers*****

Well Critchton had been away from earth the better part of 4 years. He knew the universe now. He couldnt be a fish out of water forever. He was pissed the last half of season 4 as well as the mini. He now had Areyn and he was trying to protect her and her their baby. Nothing really surprised Crithcton any longer. Getting back to earth mid season showed the audience how he really changed. Earth seemed small to him now. His character had adapted but he still had his human qualities.
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2010, 08:35 PM   #333
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Since you just finished it... Tell me if the last 6-7 eps for season 4 weren't great. Somehow, I feel, s3 gets all the love and the last half of s4 gets none. While I think they are comparable - but most fans think otherwise.

I know.... I'm looking for external validation... Pathetic...

Still - anybody? I can't be the only one...
I'll be honest. I like Season 4 a lot more than Season 3, but it took me rewatching it several times to realize it.
Thanks RojoHen

Ah - Sweet Validation, at last I found thee!!

Unlike Highlander, There can't be only One in this case!

Re S4 - the initial Arnessk arc is very important to the Mini. It's just that they treated it in a way that's an incomprehensible mess. Since they had to condense the potential s5 into a Mini - maybe they thought they would have time to "redeem" the Arnessk arc and make it more pivotal in early s5 and then lead into the PKW-mini storyline. Alas - it was not to be.
Old January 9 2010, 05:11 AM   #334
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Huh. In "Mental as Anything", there's a couple of frames where a black display box appears across the bottom of the picture with the letters
Code:
TCR. 01:37. 22. 14 
V      A
I've never seen this kind of DVD bug......I think it's actually on the picture.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 07:15 AM   #335
Harvey
Admiral

When does that occur in the episode? I'll check the corresponding Starburst DVD to see if it occurs there, too.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 09:45 AM   #336
Technobuilder
Commodore

Currently rewatching Farscape and finishing the end of Season 2 tonight.

I'd forgotten how tight the first season was in terms of setup and foreshadowing.
Most of the stuff I thought didn't occur until season 2, actually happens in Season 1

Really wish this show had gotten at least one more season.

Weren't there supposed to be some webisodes or something coming out?
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2010, 06:11 PM   #337
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Harvey wrote: View Post
When does that occur in the episode? I'll check the corresponding Starburst DVD to see if it occurs there, too.
Just as Crichton has finally pulled the grate off the fire to get the key. The particular frame is a close-up of the coals.
Old January 10 2010, 03:35 AM   #338
cubbie
Vice Admiral

First time viewer here. I've been renting from Netflix or doing the instant watch. So far I'm up to episode 8 of season 3 and wish I could have watched it when it first was on.

cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2010, 03:56 AM   #339
Dar70
Rear Admiral

cubbie wrote: View Post
First time viewer here. I've been renting from Netflix or doing the instant watch. So far I'm up to episode 8 of season 3 and wish I could have watched it when it first was on.

Better late than never. Hope you continue to enjoy. One of the few shows IMO that maintained its quality through its entire run. There are a few mediocre eps, but they are still enjoyable.

One thing I liked about this show was the freindships the characters developed with each other over time. The show became more than just a fish out of water show. It grew with the characters and focused on all of them.
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 06:19 AM   #340
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Damn, the entire Peacekeeper Wars miniseries is on one DVD? I opened the package and saw two discs, I figured two hours each! But no, the entire thing is on the first disc, without even a skip back to the menu in the middle. That's no miniseries....it's a 4-hour movie. (Also, a space station.)

Started a bit after 8, finished up just after midnight. I did not intend to watch the entire thing in one sitting....
Old January 11 2010, 06:22 AM   #341
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, it's actually only about 3 hours long. It was only a "miniseries" because it aired over the course of 2 nights.
Old January 11 2010, 08:47 AM   #342
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I had a major Farscape marathon tonight (Screw all the stuff that was on TV like the Simpsons or Chuck or stuff like that, I don't watch so might as well) and got up to Unrealized Reality. Some thoughts on the episodes I did see:

John Quioxte - Yes I probably spelt that wrong, but it's late and I don't feel like looking it up. I will say though it was one of wackiest episodes this series has done, probably moreso than Ravenging Angel. This one also gives John the Lakka, which I hope doesn't go that long (It's been a few years, I forgot a lot of the pre URR storylines).

A Prefect Murder - People didn't like this episode? Other than the beginning with the odd editing that didn't mean anything other than reminding me of Star Trek's Friday's Child, I really dug this one. Not the best episode, but nowhere near as bad as the next one:

Coup By Clam - I think this might be the weakest one of the season. Just didn't like the sexist and disgusting tones of this one, even though it was really cool seeing John back in the Season 2-3 outfits again and he lost the short jacket.

Something else I noticed too, I understand the need for the "Previously on Farscape's" but there is a part of me that wishes they hadn't included it on the DVDs. How many times have they shown the Aeryn is with Child scene from Dog with Two Bones? It's repetitive. Yes, we know there is a pregnancy storyline going on. Even viewing it on a weekly basis, the episodes make us aware of that.

Now we get to the good parts of Season 4. Looking forward to the home stretch, and man when am I going to find time to watch the entire Peacekeeper Wars mini. Probably this weekend if I get there, even though Hurt Locker and Moon comes out this week.

Last edited by SJSharksfan39; January 11 2010 at 09:05 AM.
SJSharksfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 05:02 PM   #343
LitmusDragon
Commodore

First time watcher checking in again.

Hooray! I've finally finished season one. The ending arc was every bit as good as it was hyped to be. These last three or four episodes of the season was the first time that I felt I was watching a really great show. How awesome is Scorpius?

Crichton masquerading as a peacekeeper was loads of fun, even if his accent was terrible. Though, I suppose that was kind of the point.

Now I'm two episodes into season two and I'm busy being thrown off by the changes to the character designs. It took me a little while to realize what was so weird looking about D'argo-- his beard! Or sideburns! Or whatever they are! Omg! Actually I think I'm used to those now, but what's really messing with me is the changes to the Rygel puppet. I had grown so attached to the original one that every time he comes onscreen it jars me out of the storyline a bit. I suppose I'll get used to it eventually.

Anyway, glad I bought the set, and am really enjoying it at this point.

Last edited by LitmusDragon; January 11 2010 at 05:15 PM.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2010, 05:09 PM   #344
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
How awesome is Scorpius?

Kryten masquerading as a peacekeeper was loads of fun, even if his accent was terrible.
LOL at the Scorpius spoiler.

And I think you're talking about the main lead - His name is spelt John Crichton, I think.
Old January 11 2010, 05:15 PM   #345
LitmusDragon
Commodore

And I think you're talking about the main lead - His name is spelt John Crichton, I think.
Oh thanks, I fixed it!
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote